unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* load-extension fails with "file not found" message
@ 2016-05-12  7:26 Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-05-12  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user@gnu.org

I recently made update of ubuntu, and I've been trying to get my
guile-based framework to work. First, the guile 2.0.11 installed through
Guix caused core dumps on initialization, so I switched to the version from
the ubuntu repository.

Now I've been trying to load some of the extensions needed for my program
to run. However, when I try to load-extension, I get the error:
ERROR: In procedure load-extension:
ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link: file: "physics", message: "file not found"

I also tried to pass the full path, either with or without the ".so"
suffix, but it keeps failing.
What could be the possible reason?

* Re: load-extension fails with "file not found" message
@ 2016-05-12  8:01 ` neil
From: neil @ 2016-05-12  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Panicz Maciej Godek, guile-user

   I don't know, but this rings a bell. I suggest running under strace and
   looking at the stat syscalls, to see where Guile is looking.

        Neil

   (from a phone that only does top posting - sorry!)

@ 2016-05-12 12:01   ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-05-12 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: neil; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

> I don't know, but this rings a bell. I suggest running under strace and
> looking at the stat syscalls, to see where Guile is looking.
>
> Thanks, brilliant!
It seems that guile finds the proper library file, but when it tries to
open it, dlopen cannot find a dependency library, so -- faced with a
failure -- guile searches for another library file, and eventually fails in
doing so:

access("./physics.so", R_OK)            = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
access("./scum/physics.so", R_OK)       = 0
open("./scum/physics.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 13
open("./tls/x86_64/libode.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("./tls/libode.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("./x86_64/libode.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/lib/libode.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("/usr/lib/libode.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
munmap(0x7f7c30915000, 98393)           = 0
munmap(0x7f7c3092e000, 2266520)         = 0
open("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/physics.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)

I think that the error message is a bit confusing -- it would be much more
helpful if it informed that it found some file (or files), but none of them
satisfied its dependencies.

Anyway, thanks again!

Regards,
Panicz

@ 2016-05-19 11:48     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-05-19 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Panicz Maciej Godek <godek.maciek@gmail.com> skribis:

> I think that the error message is a bit confusing -- it would be much more
> helpful if it informed that it found some file (or files), but none of them
> satisfied its dependencies.

Agreed, this silly error message is a “known issue” in libltdl, though I
forgot the details of why it doesn’t do any better.  You’ll make many
people happy if you fix this!  ;-)

Ludo’.

* Re: load-extension fails with "file not found" message
@ 2016-05-19 12:38     ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2016-05-19 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

> On May 12, 2016, at 5:01 AM, Panicz Maciej Godek <godek.maciek@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that guile finds the proper library file, but when it tries to
> open it, dlopen cannot find a dependency library, so -- faced with a
> failure -- guile searches for another library file, and eventually fails in
> doing so:

Have you tried to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to include the directory where the .so lives?

Matt

* Re: load-extension fails with "file not found" message
@ 2016-05-19 16:20       ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-05-19 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Wette; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

> > On May 12, 2016, at 5:01 AM, Panicz Maciej Godek <godek.maciek@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It seems that guile finds the proper library file, but when it tries to
> > open it, dlopen cannot find a dependency library, so -- faced with a
> > failure -- guile searches for another library file, and eventually fails
> in
> > doing so:
>
> Have you tried to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to include the
> directory where the .so lives?

Yes. I had to set it so that it contained the location of the dependency
library. Doing that worked well, but the error message wasn't particularly
helpful for resolving that issue.