2013/5/8 Mike Gran > > > No, it's not used to generate the manual. It's used to generate > > guile-procedures.txt, which is consulted by 'object-documentation'. > > > > I agree that the current state of docstring handling leaves much to be > > desired. Maybe we should start a discussion on guile-devel about how > > the improve things. > > I once asked the question if it would be possible to create a version > of scm_c_define_gsubr that took a docstring. The opinion at the time > was that it would be difficult. > Well, after a moment of thought I concluded that it's not that difficult, at least with the current version of guile, using scm_set_procedure_property_x: scm_c_define_gsubr("proc", 0, 0, 0 ,(scm_t_subr) proc); scm_c_export("proc" ,NULL); scm_set_procedure_property_x(scm_variable_ref(scm_c_lookup("proc")), scm_from_utf8_symbol("documentation"), scm_from_utf8_string("Does something")); Although it may not be particularly efficient, I think it is sufficient (and it seems to work just fine), unless there are any other contraindications