unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Chickadee 0.8.0 released
@ 2021-10-08  0:20 Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2021-10-08  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Hello guilers,

I'm happy to announce that Chickadee 0.8.0 has been released!

Chickadee is a game development toolkit for Guile. Chickadee aims to
provide all the features that parenthetically inclined game developers
need to make 2D and 3D games in Scheme.

Full release notes and download links can be found here:

https://dthompson.us/chickadee-080-released.html

- Dave

* Re: Chickadee 0.8.0 released
@ 2021-10-08 13:58 ` Mike Gran
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Gran @ 2021-10-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guile User

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 08:20:20PM -0400, Thompson, David wrote:
> Hello guilers,
>
> I'm happy to announce that Chickadee 0.8.0 has been released!

Congratulations on the release.

-Mike Gran

* Re: Chickadee 0.8.0 released
@ 2021-10-08 14:04 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-10-08 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dthompson2; +Cc: Guile User

Hello David!

Good to see, that there is steady progress on chickadee! Still want to use it
for some yet to be determined project. I started looking at the docs and started
making a repo with examples. Hopefully I will get around to getting more into
it. I have barely scratched the surface, but so far everything seemed neatly put.

Congrats!

Best wishes,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl

* Re: Chickadee 0.8.0 released
@ 2021-10-08 15:53 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-10-08 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guile-user

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> I'm happy to announce that Chickadee 0.8.0 has been released!

Hell yeah! Thank you!

And thank you for the link to https://itch.io/jam/autumn-lisp-game-jam-2021

Something fun I collected for a chickadee-based game:
https://opengameart.org/content/art-for-drachi

Most technically interesting part of the game itself:

define-module : drachi drachi
  . #:export : drachi
  . #:declarative? #f

define drachi-sprite #f
define drachi-atlas #f
define drachi-batch #f
define repl #f
define provide-repl #f

define : load
    set! drachi-sprite : load-image "walking_dragon-red.png"
    set! drachi-atlas : split-texture drachi-sprite 144 128
    set! drachi-batch : make-sprite-batch drachi-sprite
    when provide-repl
      set! repl : spawn-coop-repl-server

;; …

define : update dt
  when provide-repl
      poll-coop-repl-server repl
  update-drachi dt

define : drachi args
  when : member "--repl" args
         set! provide-repl #t
  run-game #:update update #:load load #:draw draw

And then:

    guix environment -l guix.scm -- ./run-drachi.w  --repl &
    telnet localhost 37146
    ,m drachi drachi

And then:

define : draw-drachi
  sprite-batch-clear! drachi-batch
  sprite-batch-add! drachi-batch
      vec2 256.0 17.0 ;; replace 176.0 by 17.0
      . #:texture-region : texture-atlas-ref drachi-atlas (+ 6 drachi-index)
  draw-sprite-batch drachi-batch

and Drachi moved downwards.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Chickadee 0.8.0 released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-10-11  2:18 ` Tim Meehan
From: Tim Meehan @ 2021-10-11  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile User

The docs for Chickadee look really nice, thanks for your hard work on this!

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM Thompson, David <dthompson2@worcester.edu>
wrote:

> Hello guilers,
>
> I'm happy to announce that Chickadee 0.8.0 has been released!
>
> Chickadee is a game development toolkit for Guile. Chickadee aims to
> provide all the features that parenthetically inclined game developers
> need to make 2D and 3D games in Scheme.
>
> Full release notes and download links can be found here:
>
> https://dthompson.us/chickadee-080-released.html
>
> - Dave

* Re: Chickadee 0.8.0 released
@ 2022-05-31 19:06   ` Bill Markmann
From: Bill Markmann @ 2022-05-31 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Thanks for the hard work on this, it looks awesome!

I'm having trouble building chickadee's guile-opengl dependency -- it looks
like the configure script is looking for guile-2 or guile-2.2 dev
packages.  Has anyone gotten guile-opengl to build under guile 3?  Here's
what I get trying to build it:

bill@cheese6:~/Downloads/guile-opengl-0.1.0$ ./configure
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
configure: checking for guile 2.2
configure: checking for guile 2.0
configure: error:
No Guile development packages were found.

I'm pretty sure I could update the version check in the configure step, but
wanted to know if anyone has gotten guile-opengl (and thereby chickadee)
under Guile 3?

Thanks for any insight!

- Bill

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 10:19 PM Tim Meehan <btmeehan@gmail.com> wrote:

> The docs for Chickadee look really nice, thanks for your hard work on this!
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM Thompson, David <dthompson2@worcester.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello guilers,
> >
> > I'm happy to announce that Chickadee 0.8.0 has been released!
> >
> > Chickadee is a game development toolkit for Guile. Chickadee aims to
> > provide all the features that parenthetically inclined game developers
> > need to make 2D and 3D games in Scheme.
> >
> > Full release notes and download links can be found here:
> >
> > https://dthompson.us/chickadee-080-released.html
> >
> > - Dave

* Re: [EXT] Re: Chickadee 0.8.0 released
@ 2022-05-31 19:26     ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2022-05-31 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Markmann; +Cc: Guile User

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately there has been no release that fixes the configure script to
allow Guile 3. There is no actual incompatibility beyond that.

I (and the Guix project) just patch guile-opengl's configure.ac and
Makefile.am so that it works for Guile 3.  See:
https://git.dthompson.us/chickadee.git/tree/guix.scm#n64

Hope this helps!

- Dave

@ 2022-06-01 11:12       ` Tim Van den Langenbergh
From: Tim Van den Langenbergh @ 2022-06-01 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guile-user

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Unfortunately there has been no release that fixes the configure script to
> allow Guile 3. There is no actual incompatibility beyond that.
>
> I (and the Guix project) just patch guile-opengl's configure.ac and
> Makefile.am so that it works for Guile 3.  See:
> https://git.dthompson.us/chickadee.git/tree/guix.scm#n64
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> - Dave

I wonder if guile-opengl is ready for another stable release, Andy added 3.0 to
GUILE_PKG back in August 2019, and also updated the packed-struct
implementation.