unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* G-Golf - handling of unresloved symbols in gobject-inspection
@ 2022-07-22  6:31 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-07-22  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

G-Golf seems to assume the GObject Inspection (GI) present is the
latest (0.72) and will fail to load if the GI version is older.

For example, on GNU Guix, the GI version is for now at 0.64.  So
G-Golf, when invoked from a guile program using it,  would fail with

;;; In procedure dlsym: Error resolving
"g_callable_info_create_closure":
"/gnu/store/g6gxhcy7lcmnx14jrinmh6vhanx8rh79-profile/lib/libgirepository-1.0.so:
undefined symbol: g_callable_info_create_closure"

As different GNU/Linux distributions may ship older versions of GI,
this will prevent G-Golf-using programs from working on them, even if
the functions that are unresolved may be unused and unneeded

Is it possible for G-Golf to ignore such unresolve symbol error and
continue?   Thanks for info on this.

* Re: G-Golf - handling of unresloved symbols in gobject-inspection
@ 2022-07-22 20:07 ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2022-07-22 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Andy,

> G-Golf seems to assume the GObject Inspection (GI) present is the
> latest (0.72) and will fail to load if the GI version is older.

I understand what made you write this, as you found a bug that I will
fix and let you know, thanks, but actually the minimal GObject
Introspection version is 1.48.0 (you probably meant to write 1.72.0
here above, and probably also meant to  write GObject Introspection,
because there is a GObject Inspector, which you can activate to inspect
your app, but this is a totally different 'beast').

> For example, on GNU Guix, the GI version is for now at 0.64.  So
> G-Golf, when invoked from a guile program using it,  would fail with

> ;;; In procedure dlsym: Error resolving
> "g_callable_info_create_closure":
> "/gnu/store/g6gxhcy7lcmnx14jrinmh6vhanx8rh79-profile/lib/libgirepository-1.0.so:
> undefined symbol: g_callable_info_create_closure"

You probably meant 1.64.0 but I get the message of course, thanks. You
you are right wrt to g_callable_info_create_closure, introduced in GI
1.71.0, earlier version should use g_callable_info_prepare_closure, and
actually, G-Golf checks for the GI version in use and dispatch its
call accordingly, but so far at runtime 'only': I just added the 'low
level' binding, which also need a check of course, will fix this,
thanks.

I will let you know,
Thanks for the report,
David

* Re: G-Golf - handling of unresloved symbols in gobject-inspection
@ 2022-07-22 20:55   ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-07-22 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: guile-user

Sorry for all the GNOME name mixup.   Thanks for looking into the
problem regardless of my incorrect terms!

--
Andy Tai, atai@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai, Line: andy_tai, WeChat: andytai1010
Year 2021 民國110年

* Re: G-Golf - handling of unresloved symbols in gobject-inspection
@ 2022-07-28  1:23   ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2022-07-28  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Andy,

> > For example, on GNU Guix, the GI version is for now at 0.64.  So
> > G-Golf, when invoked from a guile program using it,  would fail
> > with

> > ;;; In procedure dlsym: Error resolving
> > "g_callable_info_create_closure":
> > "/gnu/store/g6gxhcy7lcmnx14jrinmh6vhanx8rh79-profile/lib/libgirepository-1.0.so:
> > undefined symbol: g_callable_info_create_closure"

I pushed a fix to the master branch.

Thanks for the report,
David

* Re: G-Golf - handling of unresloved symbols in gobject-inspection
@ 2022-07-28 14:58     ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-07-28 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: guile-user

Thanks for the fix.  Now G-Golf works on Ubuntu 20.04, which has GI
1.64, an old version