unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [ANN] Lisparuga - a 2D shoot-em-up made for the Lisp Game Jam
@ 2016-05-10 17:43 Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-05-10 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Hello Guilers,

The Spring 2016 Lisp Game Jam[0] has just concluded, and I thought I
would share my entry.  It's a 2D vertical scrolling shoot-em-up game
called "Lisparuga".  Naturally, it was written completely in Guile
using the Sly game engine.  It is a free software, low-fi homage to of
one of my favorite (proprietary) games of all time: Ikaruga.  It takes
great advantage to Guile 2.1.2 for improved general performance and
specifically the unboxed floating point operations.  It's a *very*
short game, and the levels were thrown together in haste to meet the
deadline, but it's pretty challenging and novice shmup players may
need a few tries in order to beat it.

https://davexunit.itch.io/lisparuga

It's a bit difficult to build right now if you don't use GNU Guix, but
I hope to have a pre-built binary for 64-bit Intel systems some time
in the future.  Rough compilation instructions are available on the
above page.

All of the Lisp Game Jam entries can be found at
<https://itch.io/jam/spring-2016-lisp-game-jam/entries>, including
Christopher Webber's MUD also written in Guile, which I highly
recommend checking out.

Happy hacking!

- Dave

[0] https://itch.io/jam/spring-2016-lisp-game-jam

* Re: [ANN] Lisparuga - a 2D shoot-em-up made for the Lisp Game Jam
@ 2016-05-10 19:46 ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2016-05-10 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David, Guile User

Really cool!

@ 2016-05-10 23:17 ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2016-05-10 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guile User

Thompson, David writes:

> It's a bit difficult to build right now if you don't use GNU Guix

This is actually a really cool usage of Guix — a meta-distribution for
reproducible builds of non-packaged software.

I have guix running on Gentoo, but I had to adjust the build instructions:

guix pull # I do not know whether this was required

cd lisparuga-0.1.0
guix environment --search-paths -l guix.scm
(execute the update of the search paths by copying the lines into the shell)
./configure
make
./pre-inst-env guile game.scm

However it fails at OpenGL:

sly/window.scm:100:20: In procedure init-window:
sly/window.scm:100:20: Throw to key `sdl-error' with args `("make-gl-context" "failed to create OpenGL context: ~A" "Could not create GL context: GLXBadFBConfig")'.

Now if Guix (the build daemon setup with per-user profiles) just came
pre-packaged for all distributions… that would massively simplify
sharing in-development software.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANN] Lisparuga - a 2D shoot-em-up made for the Lisp Game Jam
@ 2016-05-19 11:46   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-05-19 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> skribis:

> cd lisparuga-0.1.0
> guix environment --search-paths -l guix.scm

Remove --search-paths and you’re done.

Works like a charm here, smooth and everything!  :-)

Great job!

Ludo’.

* Re: [ANN] Lisparuga - a 2D shoot-em-up made for the Lisp Game Jam
@ 2016-05-19 18:44     ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-05-19 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guile User

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> skribis:
>
>> cd lisparuga-0.1.0
>> guix environment --search-paths -l guix.scm
>
> Remove --search-paths and you’re done.
>
> Works like a charm here, smooth and everything!  :-)
>
> Great job!

Thank you! This is the first report of the game working on another computer!

- Dave