unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Option to create statically linked binaries
@ 2021-12-29 17:29 Sai Karthik
From: Sai Karthik @ 2021-12-29 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 345 bytes --]

Hello everyone! I'm new to guile. I am exploring the language since a
couple of days. It would be nice to have option to produce such binaries
for programs built using guile (like with golang & some more langs).

Was this topic already discussed here before? Interested to know about
your thoughts.

--
https://kskarthik.gitlab.io/

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Option to create statically linked binaries
@ 2021-12-29 19:27 ` James Crake-Merani
From: James Crake-Merani @ 2021-12-29 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sai Karthik; +Cc: guile-user

On 21/12/29 10:59pm, Sai Karthik wrote:
> Hello everyone! I'm new to guile. I am exploring the language since a couple
> of days. It would be nice to have option to produce such binaries for
> programs built using guile (like with golang & some more langs).
>
> Was this topic already discussed here before? Interested to know about your
> thoughts.
>
> --
> https://kskarthik.gitlab.io/

Hi,

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'such binaries'. Are you referring to Guile bytecode? If so, you can use the following command:

guild compile your-code.scm

But unless I'm mistaken, Guile does this automatically.

In any case, please let us know what you mean as it'll make it easier for us to help you. I'll link this manual page on the subject below in case its of any use to you.

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Compilation.html

(Apologies if you recieved this email twice; I accidentally sent it to just you instead of the whole list)

* Re: [EXT] Option to create statically linked binaries
@ 2021-12-29 19:52 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2021-12-29 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sai Karthik; +Cc: Guile User

Hi Sai,

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM Sai Karthik <kskarthik@disroot.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone! I'm new to guile. I am exploring the language since a
> couple of days. It would be nice to have option to produce such binaries
> for programs built using guile (like with golang & some more langs).

That is not possible. Guile is currently dependent upon having a
bytecode interpreter installed on the machine that is running Guile
programs. The good news is that native compilation is something that
the Guile maintainers have planned for the future, which would enable
things like self-contained binaries.

- Dave

* Re: Option to create statically linked binaries
@ 2021-12-29 20:08   ` Keith Wright
From: Keith Wright @ 2021-12-29 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Crake-Merani; +Cc: guile-user, kskarthik

James Crake-Merani <james@jamescm.co.uk> writes:

> On 21/12/29 10:59pm, Sai Karthik wrote:
>> Hello everyone! I'm new to guile. I am exploring the language since a couple
>> of days. It would be nice to have option to produce such binaries for
>> programs built using guile (like with golang & some more langs).

> I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'such binaries'.

I had the same confusion, until I noticed the header.

Subject: Option to create statically linked binaries

  -- Keith

PS: I think Dave has already answered: "No, not yeT".

* Re: [EXT] Option to create statically linked binaries
@ 2021-12-29 21:22   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-12-29 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 02:52:20PM -0500, Thompson, David wrote:
> Hi Sai,
>
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM Sai Karthik <kskarthik@disroot.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone! I'm new to guile. I am exploring the language since a
> > couple of days. It would be nice to have option to produce such binaries
> > for programs built using guile (like with golang & some more langs).
>
> That is not possible. Guile is currently dependent upon having a
> bytecode interpreter installed on the machine that is running Guile
> programs. The good news is that native compilation is something that
> the Guile maintainers have planned for the future, which would enable
> things like self-contained binaries.

On top of that, GNU libc is (at least in parts, libnss I think)
dynamically linked anyway, AFAIK.

My hunch is that Guile's core depends on GNU libc.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Option to create statically linked binaries
@ 2021-12-30  6:28     ` Sai Karthik
From: Sai Karthik @ 2021-12-30  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Wright, James Crake-Merani; +Cc: guile-user