unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 10:03 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-14 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Trying to build G-golf in GuixSD

This is how I'm creating an environment

guix environment --ad-hoc autoconf automake pkg-config guile

and this is the result of configure

./configure: line 2497: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found
./configure: line 2520: syntax error near unexpected token `guile-$v,'
./configure: line 2520: `      PKG_CHECK_EXISTS(guile-$v,
GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION=$v, )'

How is my environment has to be done in order to successfully build G-golf ?

Thanks

* Re: g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 10:08 ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2018-01-14 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Guile User, guile-user

On 2018-01-14 11:03, Catonano wrote:
> Trying to build G-golf in GuixSD
>
> This is how I'm creating an environment
>
> guix environment --ad-hoc autoconf automake pkg-config guile
>
> and this is the result of configure
>
> ./configure: line 2497: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found

> How is my environment has to be done in order to successfully build
> G-golf ?

It doesn't find pkg-config, you can add pkg-config to --ad-hoc.

* Re: g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 10:46   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-14 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: Guile User, guile-user

> On 2018-01-14 11:03, Catonano wrote:
>
>> Trying to build G-golf in GuixSD
>>
>> This is how I'm creating an environment
>>
>> guix environment --ad-hoc autoconf automake pkg-config guile
>>
>> and this is the result of configure
>>
>> ./configure: line 2497: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found
>>

>> How is my environment has to be done in order to successfully build
>> G-golf ?
>>

> It doesn't find pkg-config, you can add pkg-config to --ad-hoc.

pkg-config IS in the ad oc envonment !

Well, I believe it is !

* Re: g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 12:00 ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2018-01-14 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Guile User

Hello,

> Trying to build G-golf in GuixSD

Thank you for your interest, but please note that G-Golf still is in planning stage
- as stated on both its Gnu and Savannah web pages:

	this means that it is, as it is, unusable:  you should use Guile-Gnome and
	or Guile-Clutter instead, which, although offering old bindings, work
	perfectly, and with the latest Guile stable version...

> guix environment --ad-hoc autoconf automake pkg-config guile
> and this is the result of configure

> ./configure: line 2497: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found
> ./configure: line 2520: syntax error near unexpected token `guile-$v,'
> ./configure: line 2520: `      PKG_CHECK_EXISTS(guile-$v,
> GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION=$v, )'

FI, the upstream configure step works perfectly well.

David.

* Re: g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 12:17   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-14 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: Guile User

> Hello,
>
> > Trying to build G-golf in GuixSD
>
> Thank you for your interest, but please note that G-Golf still is in
> planning stage
> - as stated on both its Gnu and Savannah web pages:
>
>         this means that it is, as it is, unusable:  you should use
> Guile-Gnome and
>         or Guile-Clutter instead, which, although offering old bindings,
> work
>         perfectly, and with the latest Guile stable version...

I know but I tought I would have taken a look

I don't know if I will ever be able to contribute

But the fiirst thing is that G-golf should have a guix.scm file and be
buildable with Guix. I see that as my step 0
Then, we'll see

> > guix environment --ad-hoc autoconf automake pkg-config guile
> > and this is the result of configure
>
> > ./configure: line 2497: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG: command not found
> > ./configure: line 2520: syntax error near unexpected token `guile-$v,'
> > ./configure: line 2520: `      PKG_CHECK_EXISTS(guile-$v,
> > GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION=$v, )'
>
> FI, the upstream configure step works perfectly well.

What do you mean with "upstream" ?

I checked it out with git from the only repository that I know of

On which GNU/Linux distribution are you building it ?
Which version of pkg-config are you using ?

Can you make an ipothesis why pkg-config in my guix environment can't be
found ?

Maybe I should move this discussion on the Guix mailing list ?

* Re: g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 12:35     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-14 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: Guile User

Ah I see these dependencies

    Texinfo                >= 6.1
    GObject-Introspection-1.0    >= 1.48.0
    Glib-2.0            >= 2.48.0
    Gobject-2.0            >= 2.48.0

are missing

I'll try and report back

* Re: g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 13:09       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-14 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: Guile User

No, doesn't change

> Ah I see these dependencies

* Re: g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 13:10     ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2018-01-14 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Guile User

Hi Catonano,

> > Thank you for your interest, but please note that G-Golf still is in
> > planning stage

> I know but I tought I would have taken a look

Ok, you're welcome of course!

> I don't know if I will ever be able to contribute

> But the fiirst thing is that G-golf should have a guix.scm file and be
> buildable with Guix. I see that as my step 0
> Then, we'll see

I don't think so: to contribute, you should rather git clone, read as much as you
can (you need to grow a good knowledge of glib and gobject too...), ask questions,
then start to patch ... and send them to guile-devel, preceding messages with
'G-Golf', as stated on G-Golf main page...

	No need to have any particular distro, just the autool chain and gnome
	dependencies, as listed in the configure.ac ... (guix has all these of
	course, but you could contribute/develop using any distro...

> > FI, the upstream configure step works perfectly well.

> What do you mean with "upstream" ?

Distro developers generally refer to 'upstream' as the development that is done
outside any particular distro.  In this case, upstream is the g-golf git repo
at savannah (there is no tarball yet, since there has been no release) and it
requires 'the autotool chain' as its building system.

> I checked it out with git from the only repository that I know of

Ok: so just run the autotool danse, not a guix command

	cd <g-golf-git-clone-dir>
	./autogen.sh
	./configure [--prefix=/your/prefix]
	make
	make check

	[ no need to install, it is 'unusable' at this stage

> On which GNU/Linux distribution are you building it ?
> Which version of pkg-config are you using ?

Debian buster (testing), pkg-config 0.29-4+b1

> Can you make an ipothesis why pkg-config in my guix environment can't be
> found ?

Sorry, I don't

> Maybe I should move this discussion on the Guix mailing list ?

Be aware that I'm a member of guix-devel, but not guix-user. Then if the objective
is to contribute to G-Golf, I prefer we use guile-devel

Thanks again for your interest, it's nice someone pings me about this project, it
reminds me I really have to find some time to work o it...

David

* Re: g-golf
@ 2018-01-14 13:32       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-14 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: Guile User

> Hi Catonano,
>
> > > Thank you for your interest, but please note that G-Golf still is in
> > > planning stage
>
> > I know but I tought I would have taken a look
>
> Ok, you're welcome of course!
>
> > I don't know if I will ever be able to contribute
>
> > But the fiirst thing is that G-golf should have a guix.scm file and be
> > buildable with Guix. I see that as my step 0
> > Then, we'll see
>
> I don't think so: to contribute, you should rather git clone, read as much
> as you
> can (you need to grow a good knowledge of glib and gobject too...), ask
> questions,
> then start to patch ... and send them to guile-devel, preceding messages
> with
> 'G-Golf', as stated on G-Golf main page...
>
>         No need to have any particular distro, just the autool chain and
> gnome
>         dependencies, as listed in the configure.ac ... (guix has all
> these of
>         course, but you could contribute/develop using any distro...

Yes, I fforgot the "--ad-hoc" switchh the thhe guix environment command :-/

Now makeinfo gets found

> > > FI, the upstream configure step works perfectly well.
>
> > What do you mean with "upstream" ?
>
> Distro developers generally refer to 'upstream' as the development that is
> done
> outside any particular distro.  In this case, upstream is the g-golf git
> repo
> at savannah (there is no tarball yet, since there has been no release) and
> it
> requires 'the autotool chain' as its building system.

Ok

> > I checked it out with git from the only repository that I know of
>
> Ok: so just run the autotool danse, not a guix command
>
>         cd <g-golf-git-clone-dir>
>         ./autogen.sh
>         ./configure [--prefix=/your/prefix]
>         make
>         make check

More or less

The missing bit is that I am using a guix environment in order to provide
dependencies, rather than relying on dependencies being installed in my
main profile (orr in thhe operating system, if you're on a trraditional
distribution)

>         [ no need to install, it is 'unusable' at this stage

Good to know

> > On which GNU/Linux distribution are you building it ?
> > Which version of pkg-config are you using ?
>
> Debian buster (testing), pkg-config 0.29-4+b1

Ok, thanks. Configuure stopped complaining so those should be ok now

> > Can you make an ipothesis why pkg-config in my guix environment can't be
> > found ?
>
> Sorry, I don't

I found it anyway ;-)

> > Maybe I should move this discussion on the Guix mailing list ?
>
> Be aware that I'm a member of guix-devel, but not guix-user. Then if the
> objective
> is to contribute to G-Golf, I prefer we use guile-devel

Ok

> Thanks again for your interest, it's nice someone pings me about this
> project, it
> reminds me I really have to find some time to work o it...

No thanks to you !

I'll keep you posted

An end note: now, guile-lib is missing but I'm confident I'll be able to
finish the configure phase successfully

* g-golf status
@ 2019-06-19 22:35   ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2019-06-19 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: Guile User

Hi David,

I notice you've been making some commits on g-golf.  How's the state of the
project?

I've been playing with GObject from the other (guile-gi) codebase, and
it is a bit of a nightmare.  Through brute force, it is beginning to
work, but, there is no methodology behind the work.  It is all
spaghetti.

-Mike Gran

* Re: g-golf status
@ 2019-06-21  4:05     ` David Pirotte