unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* What tools do you use with Guile?
@ 2018-04-03  2:04 Erik Edrosa
From: Erik Edrosa @ 2018-04-03  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Hello everyone,

Something I have been wondering is what tools does the community use to
work on their GNU Guile projects?

What do you use to build your projects? Do you use autotools,
handwritten Makefiles, some other build system, or don't even use any
build tools?

How do you manage your software written in Guile? Do you use a package
manager like GNU Guix, use the build system to install packages, or just
copy files to your project directories?

What do you use to test your projects? srfi-64, guile-lib, or some other
library?

What text editor do you use? GNU Emacs, vim, or some other editor? What
extensions do you use for your editor?

Do you use other languages on Guile? Wisp, Lua, or some other language?

Any other tool worth mentioning?

Thanks,
Erik (OrangeShark)

* Re: What tools do you use with Guile?
@ 2018-04-03  3:56 ` Arne Babenhauserheide
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2018-04-03  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Edrosa; +Cc: Guile User

Erik Edrosa <erik.edrosa@gmail.com> writes:

> Something I have been wondering is what tools does the community use to
> work on their GNU Guile projects?
>
> What do you use to build your projects? Do you use autotools,
> handwritten Makefiles, some other build system, or don't even use any
> build tools?

When I need a build tool, I typically use autotools.

When I don’t, my scripts use bash-indirection, for example when I want
to trigger auto-compilation of other files before the script starts, or
adjust the library path. See the maximum portability example on
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-2.0/guile-ref/Scripting-Examples.html#Scripting-Examples

> How do you manage your software written in Guile? Do you use a package
> manager like GNU Guix, use the build system to install packages, or just
> copy files to your project directories?

For simple projects, I just run from the projects Mercurial
repositories.

Also I use a Guix overlay to install Guile dependencies, and I install
user-tools to ~/.local/bin (along with ~/.local/lib/guile/2.2/ ).

> What do you use to test your projects? srfi-64, guile-lib, or some other
> library?

hand-written tests and srfi-64.

> What text editor do you use? GNU Emacs, vim, or some other editor? What
> extensions do you use for your editor?

Emacs.

> Do you use other languages on Guile? Wisp, Lua, or some other language?

Wisp (along with Scheme).

> Any other tool worth mentioning?

Bash, since I run my scripts with shell indirection.

> Thanks,
> Erik (OrangeShark)

Thank you for the nice question! :-)

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What tools do you use with Guile?
@ 2018-04-03  4:49 ` Mike Gran
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Gran @ 2018-04-03  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Edrosa; +Cc: Guile User

On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 10:04:59PM -0400, Erik Edrosa wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Something I have been wondering is what tools does the community use to
> work on their GNU Guile projects?
>
> What do you use to build your projects? Do you use autotools,
> handwritten Makefiles, some other build system, or don't even use any
> build tools?

Handwritten makefile first, then autotools if I'm going to let other
people see it.

> How do you manage your software written in Guile? Do you use a package
> manager like GNU Guix, use the build system to install packages, or just
> copy files to your project directories?

If it doesn't come with Fedora dnf, I build it from source and install it
in the standard directories.

> What do you use to test your projects? srfi-64, guile-lib, or some other
> library?

Typically, I use the parallel test harness that is built into Automake
as the test runner.  Using that test runner, I write each test as its
own scheme script.

> What text editor do you use? GNU Emacs, vim, or some other editor? What
> extensions do you use for your editor?

For Guile I use Emacs, sometimes with Geiser.

> Do you use other languages on Guile? Wisp, Lua, or some other language?

No.  But I like the idea of Wisp.

> Any other tool worth mentioning?

I do most of my debugging of guile scripts in GDB.  I also have a
structured logging library that can write to the systemd binary log,
when I want to make a lot of debugging spew and look at it later.

For some scheme scripts, I want to edit as multiple files but then
assemble them into a single file, so I use M4 to let me include
scripts in other scripts.

-Mike Gran

* Re: What tools do you use with Guile?
@ 2018-04-03  7:23 ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2018-04-03  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Edrosa; +Cc: Guile User

Le mar. 3 avr. 2018 04:05, Erik Edrosa <erik.edrosa@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>
> Something I have been wondering is what tools does the community use to
> work on their GNU Guile projects?
>
> What do you use to build your projects? Do you use autotools,
> handwritten Makefiles, some other build system, or don't even use any
> build tools?

I started using autotools.

> How do you manage your software written in Guile? Do you use a package
> manager like GNU Guix, use the build system to install packages, or just
> copy files to your project directories?

I do both. I have one project that is packaged but others I copy paste
(microkanren, streams, combinator, web stuff)

> What do you use to test your projects? srfi-64, guile-lib, or some other
> library?

I use small macro for small project or srfi 64 with code coverage now.

What text editor do you use? GNU Emacs, vim, or some other editor? What
> extensions do you use for your editor?

Emacs but I make very simple use of it. I have geiser installed mostly to
have access to scheme mode and rainbow delimiter and also bm extensions to
bookmark lines of code.

I also have silversearcher aka. ag instead of the default C-f

> Do you use other languages on Guile? Wisp, Lua, or some other language?

No.

> Any other tool worth mentioning?

I heavily rely on the REPL with the help procedure and the procedure index
manual page.

> Thanks,
> Erik (OrangeShark)

Have a good day!

* Re: What tools do you use with Guile?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-04-03  7:57 ` Jeremy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jeremy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2018-04-03  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user, Erik Edrosa, Guile User

>What do you use to build your projects? Do you use autotools,
>handwritten Makefiles, some other build system, or don't even use any
>build tools?

I use autotools, thanks to your blog post about it !

>How do you manage your software written in Guile? Do you use a package
>manager like GNU Guix, use the build system to install packages, or
>just
>copy files to your project directories?

I just use Guile distribution for the moment.

>What do you use to test your projects? srfi-64, guile-lib, or some
>other
>library?

SRFI-64

>What text editor do you use? GNU Emacs, vim, or some other editor? What
>extensions do you use for your editor?

Spacemacs

>Do you use other languages on Guile? Wisp, Lua, or some other language?

Nop

>Any other tool worth mentioning?

Guile REPL, git

>Thanks,
>Erik (OrangeShark)

Thank you !

Le 3 avril 2018 04:04:59 GMT+02:00, Erik Edrosa <erik.edrosa@gmail.com> a écrit :
>Hello everyone,
>
>Something I have been wondering is what tools does the community use to
>work on their GNU Guile projects?
>
>What do you use to build your projects? Do you use autotools,
>handwritten Makefiles, some other build system, or don't even use any
>build tools?
>
>How do you manage your software written in Guile? Do you use a package
>manager like GNU Guix, use the build system to install packages, or
>just
>copy files to your project directories?
>
>What do you use to test your projects? srfi-64, guile-lib, or some
>other
>library?
>
>What text editor do you use? GNU Emacs, vim, or some other editor? What
>extensions do you use for your editor?
>
>Do you use other languages on Guile? Wisp, Lua, or some other language?
>
>Any other tool worth mentioning?
>
>Thanks,
>Erik (OrangeShark)

* Re: What tools do you use with Guile?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-04-03  8:06 ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2018-04-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Edrosa; +Cc: Guile User

 > What do you use to build your projects
autotools

> How do you manage your software written in Guile?
git and gitlab

>  What do you use to test your projects
The same test frameworks that performs the tests of guile itself

> What text editor do you use?
Emacs and the terminal shell for the repl

> Do you use other languages on Guile
prolog (guile-log)

>Thanks,
>Erik (OrangeShark)

Cheers!
Stefan

@ 2018-04-07  3:46   ` Erik Edrosa
From: Erik Edrosa @ 2018-04-07  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Israelsson Tampe; +Cc: Guile User

Stefan Israelsson Tampe writes:

>> Do you use other languages on Guile
> prolog (guile-log)

Didn't know there was a prolog implementation, I will definitely check
this out.