unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* stis-supervector v0.0.1
@ 2021-10-02 16:55 Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2021-10-02 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel, Guile User

I'm now satisfied enough to release a first version of stis-supervectors
v0.0.1

The idea for the project is to explore data structures that can handle
large vector-like constructs in a better way than just a pure vector.
Especially having boilerplate to properly make vector operations that are
fast and at the same time behave nicely with guile features that depend on
interrupts like e.g. the fibers framework. We have features like sharing,
copy on write, referencing read only structures, a good sparse story,
allowing tree compression for different sized data,and more. Bytevectors
vectors strings and bitvectors are targetted to have a supervector version

The project is found in https://gitlab.com/tampe/stis-supervectors.
preliminary docs are included in the doc directory (html and a pdf)

Comments are welcome,

Happy hacking!

* Re: stis-supervector v0.0.1
@ 2021-10-02 18:33 ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2021-10-02 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Israelsson Tampe; +Cc: Guile User, guile-devel

seems to be a pretty work, but why there is not a simple example in the doc
about make supervector :-O ? perhaps for you it is evident what is it but
for an outside people to the project it is not.
Damien

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 6:55 PM Stefan Israelsson Tampe <
stefan.itampe@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm now satisfied enough to release a first version of stis-supervectors
> v0.0.1
>
> The idea for the project is to explore data structures that can handle
> large vector-like constructs in a better way than just a pure vector.
> Especially having boilerplate to properly make vector operations that are
> fast and at the same time behave nicely with guile features that depend on
> interrupts like e.g. the fibers framework. We have features like sharing,
> copy on write, referencing read only structures, a good sparse story,
> allowing tree compression for different sized data,and more. Bytevectors
> vectors strings and bitvectors are targetted to have a supervector version
>
> The project is found in https://gitlab.com/tampe/stis-supervectors.
> preliminary docs are included in the doc directory (html and a pdf)
>
> Comments are welcome,
>
> Happy hacking!

* Re: stis-supervector v0.0.1
@ 2021-10-02 18:46   ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2021-10-02 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei; +Cc: Guile User, guile-devel

Good point.
I can add some examples. But atm I most comments need to be about things
that need deep experience, maybe I'm wrong about this but the basic stuff
do need to be examplified as well just as you commen. Maybe the beta which
I think Wil be a 0.1 release will include those examples.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021, 20:33 Damien Mattei <damien.mattei@gmail.com> wrote:

> seems to be a pretty work, but why there is not a simple example in the
> doc about make supervector :-O ? perhaps for you it is evident what is it
> but for an outside people to the project it is not.
> Damien
>
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 6:55 PM Stefan Israelsson Tampe <
> stefan.itampe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm now satisfied enough to release a first version of stis-supervectors
>> v0.0.1
>>
>> The idea for the project is to explore data structures that can handle
>> large vector-like constructs in a better way than just a pure vector.
>> Especially having boilerplate to properly make vector operations that are
>> fast and at the same time behave nicely with guile features that depend on
>> interrupts like e.g. the fibers framework. We have features like sharing,
>> copy on write, referencing read only structures, a good sparse story,
>> allowing tree compression for different sized data,and more. Bytevectors
>> vectors strings and bitvectors are targetted to have a supervector version
>>
>> The project is found in https://gitlab.com/tampe/stis-supervectors.
>> preliminary docs are included in the doc directory (html and a pdf)
>>
>> Comments are welcome,
>>
>> Happy hacking!

* Re: stis-supervector v0.0.1
@ 2021-10-02 19:45     ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2021-10-02 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Israelsson Tampe, guile-user

so it is me only that do not understand anything :-(

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 8:46 PM Stefan Israelsson Tampe <
stefan.itampe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good point.
> I can add some examples. But atm I most comments need to be about things
> that need deep experience, maybe I'm wrong about this but the basic stuff
> do need to be examplified as well just as you commen. Maybe the beta which
> I think Wil be a 0.1 release will include those examples.
>
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2021, 20:33 Damien Mattei <damien.mattei@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> seems to be a pretty work, but why there is not a simple example in the
>> doc about make supervector :-O ? perhaps for you it is evident what is it
>> but for an outside people to the project it is not.
>> Damien
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 6:55 PM Stefan Israelsson Tampe <
>> stefan.itampe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm now satisfied enough to release a first version of stis-supervectors
>>> v0.0.1
>>>
>>> The idea for the project is to explore data structures that can handle
>>> large vector-like constructs in a better way than just a pure vector.
>>> Especially having boilerplate to properly make vector operations that are
>>> fast and at the same time behave nicely with guile features that depend on
>>> interrupts like e.g. the fibers framework. We have features like sharing,
>>> copy on write, referencing read only structures, a good sparse story,
>>> allowing tree compression for different sized data,and more. Bytevectors
>>> vectors strings and bitvectors are targetted to have a supervector version
>>>
>>> The project is found in https://gitlab.com/tampe/stis-supervectors.
>>> preliminary docs are included in the doc directory (html and a pdf)
>>>
>>> Comments are welcome,
>>>
>>> Happy hacking!

* Re: stis-supervector v0.0.1
@ 2021-10-02 20:19       ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2021-10-02 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei; +Cc: guile-user

No probably more people have issues, it can be a language barrier., etc.
Just that my gut feeling is that it's premature to introduce examples of
this level. Better to work on design principles like features missing, like
if I should introduce mor fan outs that is have more branches in a branch.
Try to explains examplified details in the design etc. Maybe allow complex
number representations and so on. Also I'm 50 and have worked more than 60
hours a week for all my life with 20 hours or more trying to develop my
skills. Easy to use the wrong language then and I'm a poor teacher and
language is not my thing. Sorry. But I will surly try remember your comment
at try to adress it later. Just that I have to prioritize.

But as a hint there are some few test routines in the code. Base, currently
way too few as I tested with the repl mostly. Look at the end of the source
files