unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5
@ 2014-09-13 12:52 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-09-13 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

I'm on Debian 7.6 with guile-2.0.5 installed. I would like to install
a newer version of guile. Therefore I downloaded 2.0.11 and installed
in /usr/local with

./configure
make
sudo make install

Everything appeared to be fine. However, with my surprise, when I
started the newly installed guile with

$ /usr/local/bin/guile

I was greeted with

GNU Guile 2.0.5-deb+1-3
Copyright (C) 1995-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

which correspond to the version provided by the Debian package.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible to have two guile versions
on the same system?

Regards,
Fede

* Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5
@ 2014-09-14  8:02 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-09-14  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vo2521; +Cc: guile-user

> Hi Federico,
> That is odd, on my Debian "wheezy" system, the debian packaged guile
> is a symbolic link /usr/bin/guile to
> /etc/alternatives/guile, which in turn is a symbolic link to
> /usr/bin/guile-2.0 . What returns from the command "which guile" on
> your system ?

With the locally installed guile 2.0.11 `which guile' reports
/usr/local/bin/guile. I've now uninstalled it (`make uninstall').

Without the local copy of guile I see the same as you: /usr/bin/guile is
a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/guile which in turn is a symlink to
/usr/bin/guile-2.0.

@ 2014-09-14 15:37 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-09-14 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: neil; +Cc: guile-user

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.homelinux.net> writes:

> This is just a guess, but what happens if you do this:
>
> $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/guile
>
> Regards,
>      Neil

With this it works!

I notice that there is an /etc/ld.so.cache file. Do I somehow need to update
it?

Thanks,

@ 2014-09-14 15:42 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-09-14 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guile-user

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> It may be that, while /usr/local/bin/guile is indeed from the new
> version, it ends up loading .scm and .go files from the old version.
>
> You could check that by running:
>
>   strace -o log /usr/local/bin/guile --version
>
> and grepping for .scm and .go files in ‘log’.
>
> That could happen, for instance, if there’s a GUILE_LOAD_PATH or
> GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH environment variable pointing to
> /usr/share/guile/...

Yes, that's what happens. I can see libraries from /usr/share and
/usr/lib/guile being used.

I do not have any GUILE_LOAD_* environment variable defined. However, I
see in the "log" file generated as suggested that the /etc/ld.so.cache
file gets opened. Should I need somehow to update it?

@ 2014-09-15 11:46 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-09-15 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris, guile-user

Chris Vine <chris@cvine.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:16:39 -0400
> mhw@netris.org wrote:
>> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> writes:

>> > With this it works!
>> >
>> > I notice that there is an /etc/ld.so.cache file. Do I somehow need
>> > to update it?
>>
>> Yes, you update it by running "ldconfig" as root.  This needs to be
>> done when installing libraries outside of your package manager, not
>> only for Guile, but for essentially all packages containing libraries.
>
> I would not recommend doing that where the OP has two _binary
> compatible_ versions of the same library in different prefixes (as he
> appears to have), otherwise the one which will be found and linked in
> will depend on the dynamic linker's look-up order from
> reading /etc/ld.so.conf.  This could be the old micro version where in
> a given case the OP in fact wants the new one, or conversely the new
> micro version where he in fact wants the old one.
>
> Presumably in the general case he wants the micro version supplied by
> the distribution's package manager to be linked in, otherwise he would
> simply have replaced that one with the (binary compatible) newer
> version of the same library.  Presumably also he wants the updated
> version which he has installed to be linked in instead only when
> specially called.  If that is right, he is much better off putting his
> updated version in a directory which is _not_ specified
> in /etc/ld.so.conf, and invoking it on the occasions when he does not
> want the general case to apply by setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> environmental variable for that invocation.  Then he is guaranteed to
> have the correct version loaded in.
>
> Chris

Your guess is correct: The distribution that I'm using (Debian wheezy)
ships 2.0.5 as the newest guile version and I need to keep it to satisfy
dependencies of other distribution supplied packages.  However, I would
like to experiment with a newer version of guile. I will then follow
your advice and install it in a different directory.

Thanks for all the explanations!

@ 2014-09-15 16:46 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-09-15 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris, guile-user

Chris Vine <chris@cvine.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:46:07 +0200
> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Your guess is correct: The distribution that I'm using (Debian wheezy)
>> ships 2.0.5 as the newest guile version and I need to keep it to
>> satisfy dependencies of other distribution supplied packages.
>> However, I would like to experiment with a newer version of guile. I
>> will then follow your advice and install it in a different directory.
>
> Surely dependency requirements would be satisfied by a later library
> version with the same so name?  I should read up the documentation on
> dpkg.

As far as I inderstand the Debian package manager mantains a package
database. This is the place where it looks for installed packages. So,
if I have a newer version of guile which is not installed through the
package manager, the package manager will not know about it.

@ 2014-09-16 11:09 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-09-16 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david, guile-user

David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> writes:

> Hello,
>
>> As far as I inderstand the Debian package manager mantains a package
>> database. This is the place where it looks for installed packages. So,
>> if I have a newer version of guile which is not installed through the
>> package manager, the package manager will not know about it.
>
> even if you are locked in a debian stable, you can, and you should in the case of
> guile really, install packages from testing, unstable and even experimental [which
> is not recommended unless you know what you are doing of course].
>
> So:
>
>     update your /etc/apt/sources.list, add a line with testing source
>     update you /etc/preferences
>
>         Package: *
>         Pin: release a=stable
>         Pin-Priority: 800
>
>         Package: guile
>         Pin: release a=testing
>         Pin-Priority: 600
>
>     aptitude update
>     aptitude
>         search for the guile-2.0 package aptitude entry
>         press enter [Menu: Package -> information]
>         select and install the testing version [2.0.11+1-1 as of today]
>
> with that setting, aptitude|debian future updates will track and offer you to update
> the installed guile-2.0 testing package, while keeping everything else on stable...
> there are doc about that, duckduckgo for it...

You convinced me that I should be fine using guile from testing.

I've added the following lines in sources.list:

deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main
deb-src http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main

created /etc/apt/preferences.d/00-stable containing:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 800

and created /etc/apt/preferences.d/20-guile containing:

Package: guile
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 600

Now, before installing guile from testing, I wanted to check if I still
get no updatable packages as a moment before doing the change:

aptitude update
aptitude full-upgrade

This tells me that the package libxnvctrl0 can be update. If I remove
the testing entry from sources.list, then I get no updates. So, something
is coming in from testing.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Fede