unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* readline in wrong folder for 3.0.5 release?
@ 2021-02-12  1:00 Marius Ghita
From: Marius Ghita @ 2021-02-12  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello,

I've downloaded the guile-3.0.5 release tar.gz and built the
release (without any configure flags), and no `make install` call. When I
try to load readline, I get

scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
While compiling expression:
In procedure dynamic-link: file: "guile-readline", message: "file not found"

The issue seems to be that readline is within the
source_directory/guile-readline/ice-9, whereas all the other ice-9 modules
are in source_directory/modules

Is there a reason why they're separate?

Additionally, could someone write a few more words in the documentation
about the reasons: "Guile can use the GNU Readline library. This is not
enabled by default because of licensing reasons"

For me, it's confusing why GPL licensed software does not enable by default
a GPL licensed library.

Thanks

* readline in wrong folder for 3.0.5 release?
@ 2021-02-12 19:27 Marius Ghita
From: Marius Ghita @ 2021-02-12 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Figured out the issue in the end.

After I installed the readline-devel package in my distribution, reran
./configure && make, and now I can use the readline module.

Maybe it's worth going through the effort to provide a different error
message when guile-readline cannot be linked?