I've got this fork going where I've done some editing (grammar, style, spelling, etc.) on the book (up to "Reporting bugs." Let me know what you think. In general, I think Scheme desperately needs an "O'Reilly"-style book. Question: What should we say when someone asks, "Why should I fool with a new programming language when there's Matlab/Mathematica/etc.?" I think this is a great project. I myself have recently started something similar which shamelessly puts coding (in Scheme) together with high school math. Two things I want to avoid is 1) having other "blub" languages fill this yawning gap (read Python), and 2) helping cushion the computer science wall where hot-shot high-school coders go to college, major in comp-sci . . . and then hit the comp-sci wall, i.e., discrete math, theory, no more cool coding tricks, etc. LB On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 4:54 AM, A0 wrote: > > > On 06/02/16 00:47, Cao Jin wrote: > > It's interesting. I have used Matlab for many years, but never > > tried R. As for as I know, there are tons of state-of-the-art > > library in R and Matlab. > > > > After skimming your paper, I wander that 1) Are these library used > > in your code example implemented by yourself? Or other libraries > > are called, such as LAPACK for linear algebra? 2) Is it easy to use > > scheme and your library, or maybe some others, to do computational > > job? In practice, those who use R or Matlab want their idea to be > > proved quickly, not to spend time on coding style, right? > > > > If scheme can do most computational job as python numpy does, I > > will switch to it. > > > > > > On Feb 5, 2016 7:09 AM, Panicz Maciej Godek > > wrote: > >> > >> Hi, I am pleased to announce that I just finished my booklet > >> titled > >> > >> A Pamphlet against R Computational Intelligence with Guile > >> Scheme > >> > >> The pamphlet introduces (in a truly impertinent manner) a set of > >> libraries that I have been developing over the last few months, > >> including topics like: > >> > >> - genetic algorithms - fuzzy logic - decision trees - > >> clusterization > >> > >> and more! > >> > >> The book (in both pdf and LaTeX) is available with the required > >> libraries under the Creative Commons license at > >> http://panicz.github.io/pamphlet/ > >> > >> Yeey! > >> > > Hi, > > Guile has an excellent Foreign Function Interface that one can use to > call any existing C or > Fortran (if bind(c) interfaces provided) optimised numerical routines, > usually directly > (most of the time, you don't need to write wrappers). I have already > used it in some projects. > On the Guile side, there are data structures like bytevectors that can > represent C-pointers, > as well as the array data type which has a set of useful routines to > manipulate array data collectively. > > Of course, there aren't loads of numerical packages (so nothing like > CRAN) > written for Guile specifically. > > The job where Guile excels from my perspective (someone who produces > optimised numerical codes > that solve equations) is to bind things together, to provide top-level > loops, interrupts, easy access > to the operating system. To impose structure. > > > > >