unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block
@ 2022-09-19 10:04 Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2022-09-19 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

hello,
on an intensive computation of symbolic calculus running since 10 days
approx. on a desktop, i get now this message since yesterday,and  in the
computation of C12 (still waiting):

GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 84377600):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance

it is now at : size 121749504, i suppose one of my symbolic expression get
big!
is this message appearing when a single scheme variable reach a given size?

i wanted to debug and trace because i know this algorithm expand a lot
expressions (perheaps too much) sometimes (but it is an NP-problem and
exponential, so perheaps stop the program is the only solution and run it
on more little data)
i do not think there could be a memory leak in a recursive scheme program,
at least not like in C ,i'm not allocating memory and i do not to set-car!
or set-cdr! that perhaps could loose the GC.

Damien

C1 = #t
C1 = T

C2 = T

C3 = (B1 ∨ B2)

C4 = (B2 ∨ (B1 ∧ B3))

C5 = ((B1 ∧ B3) ∨ (B2 ∧ B3) ∨ (B2 ∧ B4) ∨ (B3 ∧ B4))

C6 = ((B1 ∧ B3 ∧ B5) ∨ (B2 ∧ B3 ∧ B5) ∨ (B2 ∧ B4) ∨ (B3 ∧ B4) ∨ (B4 ∧ B5))

C7 = ((B1 ∧ B3 ∧ B5) ∨ (B2 ∧ B3 ∧ B5) ∨ (B2 ∧ B4 ∧ B6) ∨ (B3 ∧ B4 ∧ B6) ∨
(B4 ∧ B5) ∨ (B5 ∧ B6))

C8 = ((B1 ∧ B3 ∧ B5 ∧ B7) ∨ (B2 ∧ B3 ∧ B5 ∧ B7) ∨ (B2 ∧ B4 ∧ B6) ∨ (B3 ∧ B4
∧ B6) ∨ (B4 ∧ B5 ∧ B7) ∨ (B5 ∧ B6) ∨ (B6 ∧ B7))

C9 = ((B1 ∧ B3 ∧ B5 ∧ B7) ∨ (B2 ∧ B3 ∧ B5 ∧ B7) ∨ (B2 ∧ B4 ∧ B6 ∧ B8) ∨ (B3
∧ B4 ∧ B6 ∧ B8) ∨ (B4 ∧ B5 ∧ B7) ∨ (B5 ∧ B6 ∧ B8) ∨ (B6 ∧ B7) ∨ (B7 ∧ B8))

C10 = ((B1 ∧ B3 ∧ B5 ∧ B7 ∧ B9) ∨ (B2 ∧ B3 ∧ B5 ∧ B7 ∧ B9) ∨ (B2 ∧ B4 ∧ B6
∧ B8) ∨ (B3 ∧ B4 ∧ B6 ∧ B8) ∨ (B4 ∧ B5 ∧ B7 ∧ B9) ∨ (B5 ∧ B6 ∧ B8) ∨ (B6 ∧
B7 ∧ B9) ∨ (B7 ∧ B8) ∨ (B8 ∧ B9))

C11 = ((B1 ∧ B3 ∧ B5 ∧ B7 ∧ B9) ∨ (B10 ∧ B2 ∧ B4 ∧ B6 ∧ B8) ∨ (B10 ∧ B3 ∧
B4 ∧ B6 ∧ B8) ∨ (B10 ∧ B5 ∧ B6 ∧ B8) ∨ (B10 ∧ B7 ∧ B8) ∨ (B10 ∧ B9) ∨ (B2 ∧
B3 ∧ B5 ∧ B7 ∧ B9) ∨ (B4 ∧ B5 ∧ B7 ∧ B9) ∨ (B6 ∧ B7 ∧ B9) ∨ (B8 ∧ B9))

GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 84377600):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 102641664):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 102653952):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 102678528):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 102690816):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 102739968):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 102764544):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 102789120):
May lead to memory leak and poor performance
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 102825984):

* Re: GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block
@ 2022-09-19 11:44 ` Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions
From: Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions @ 2022-09-19 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Mattei, guile-user

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022, Damien Mattei <damien.mattei@gmail.com> wrote:
> is this message appearing when a single scheme variable reach a given
> size?

This message is from the bdwgc and not from Guile itself.  From their
documentation:
The garbage collector generates warning messages of the form:

    Repeated allocation of very large block ...
    May lead to memory leak and poor performance

when it needs to allocate a block at a location that it knows to be referenced
by a false pointer. These false pointers can be either permanent (e.g.
a static integer variable that never changes) or temporary. In the latter
case, the warning is largely spurious, and the block will eventually
be reclaimed normally. In the former case, the program will still run
correctly, but the block will never be reclaimed. Unless the block is intended
to be permanent, the warning indicates a memory leak.

  1. Ignore these warnings while you are using GC_DEBUG. Some of the routines
  mentioned below don't have debugging equivalents. (Alternatively, write the
  missing routines and send them to me.)
  2. Replace allocator calls that request large blocks with calls to
  `GC_malloc_ignore_off_page` or `GC_malloc_atomic_ignore_off_page`. You may
  want to set a breakpoint in `GC_default_warn_proc` to help you identify such
  calls. Make sure that a pointer to somewhere near the beginning of the
  resulting block is maintained in a (preferably volatile) variable as long
  as the block is needed.
  3. If the large blocks are allocated with realloc, we suggest instead
  allocating them with something like the following. Note that the realloc
  size increment should be fairly large (e.g. a factor of 3/2) for this to
  exhibit reasonable performance. But we all know we should do that anyway.

        void * big_realloc(void *p, size_t new_size) {
            size_t old_size = GC_size(p);
            void * result;
            if (new_size <= 10000) return(GC_realloc(p, new_size));
            if (new_size <= old_size) return(p);
            result = GC_malloc_ignore_off_page(new_size);
            if (result == 0) return(0);
            memcpy(result,p,old_size);
            GC_free(p);
            return(result);
        }

  4. In the unlikely case that even relatively small object (<20 KB)
  allocations are triggering these warnings, then your address space contains
  lots of "bogus pointers", i.e. values that appear to be pointers but aren't.
  Usually this can be solved by using `GC_malloc_atomic` or the routines
  in `gc_typed.h` to allocate large pointer-free regions of bitmaps, etc.
  Sometimes the problem can be solved with trivial changes of encoding
  in certain values. It is possible, to identify the source of the bogus
  pointers by building the collector with `-DPRINT_BLACK_LIST`, which will
  cause it to print the "bogus pointers", along with their location.
  5. If you get only a fixed number of these warnings, you are probably only
  introducing a bounded leak by ignoring them. If the data structures being
  allocated are intended to be permanent, then it is also safe to ignore them.
  The warnings can be turned off by calling `GC_set_warn_proc` with
  a procedure that ignores these warnings (e.g. by doing absolutely
  nothing).

It's my understanding that either A) there's a leak or B) its a false
positive.

> i wanted to debug and trace because i know this algorithm expand a lot
> expressions (perheaps too much) sometimes (but it is an NP-problem and
> exponential, so perheaps stop the program is the only solution and run it
> on more little data)
> i do not think there could be a memory leak in a recursive scheme
> program,

Gotta be careful with a conservative GC I guess.  Your memory will get
reclaim at some point, but it's not guaranteed when since any value on
the C stack -- and global variables -- could reference your allocation
by accident.  So if by accident there's a static constant value in C
that has the value of an allocation by the GC, it will never reclaim it.
Since it's the Scheme stack and I suppose it's tail call optimized, that
should not impact the GC.

The most important thing would be to check the memory usage of the
program with a tool like `htop'.  If there's leak, you will see that the
memory usage percentage keep increasing.

--
Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev

* Re: GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block
@ 2022-09-19 17:26   ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2022-09-19 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Dion; +Cc: guile-user

thank you, i think my algorithm is right but can be improved, i have to
work on it,activate tracing to see where is the big expression list and if
it is possible to correct that. There is a main loop in code and the
warning only appear when data is bigger so i do not think of any memory
leak (only have alittle doubt on an hastable which is global variable and
reused:
(when debug-mode (display-nl "Quine-Mc-Cluskey:"))
 {minterms-ht <- (make-hash-table)}  ;; need to be cleared at each run
(init-hash-table-with-set-and-value minterms-ht minterms #f)
this :
;; the hash table for minterms, better to be a top-level definition,it's
nightmare otherwise...
(declare minterms-ht)
{minterms-ht <- (make-hash-table)} ;; Scheme+  syntax
expression create a new hash table with pointer minterms-ht
this is done at each loop in the for each Cn
and i should clear it before but there is no instruction to do that in the
SRFI 69:
https://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-69/srfi-69.html
???
I will also check the still running memory used by program.
Damien

@ 2022-09-21  9:42     ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2022-09-21  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Dion; +Cc: guile-user

i think the warning is not a false true because the program at reached in
10 days almost 3Gb :

 PID UTIL.     PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM    TEMPS+ COM.

 332467 mattei    20   0 3262260   2,8g   3744 R 215,0  18,4  32277:54
guile

stopping it has released 3 Gb of memory, the problem can belong from the
hash table which is declared (not defined) with one identifier at top-level
but created in a function used many times in a loop so there was many
hash-table creates and the haskeys-values where not deleted when leaving
the function Quine-Mc-Cluskey that uses the hash-table because there is no
documentation and that in SRFI 69 i forget to do that, a simple function in
SRFI like this one could be useful:

;; delete all the elements of a hash table but not the hash table itself
(will be done by garbage collector)

(define (hash-table-clear! ht) (map (lambda (key) (hash-table-delete! ht
key))
  (hash-table-keys ht)))

i have modified and ran the program again, and will see if the message from
garbage collector happens again (in a week of computation...) i will also
check the whole program that seems to expand symbolic expressions a lot
when i have time.

Regards,
Damien

@ 2022-09-21  9:48       ` Damien Mattei
From: Damien Mattei @ 2022-09-21  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Dion; +Cc: guile-user

what is strange is how the Boehm garbage collector can have noticed that
this repeated allocation of memory was a bug?, as it could have be
intentional and normal....
Damien