unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
From: Damien Mattei <damien.mattei@gmail.com>
To: Olivier Dion <olivier.dion@polymtl.ca>
Cc: guile-user <guile-user@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 11:42:29 +0200	[thread overview]

i think the warning is not a false true because the program at reached in
10 days almost 3Gb :

 PID UTIL.     PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM    TEMPS+ COM.

 332467 mattei    20   0 3262260   2,8g   3744 R 215,0  18,4  32277:54
guile

stopping it has released 3 Gb of memory, the problem can belong from the
hash table which is declared (not defined) with one identifier at top-level
but created in a function used many times in a loop so there was many
hash-table creates and the haskeys-values where not deleted when leaving
the function Quine-Mc-Cluskey that uses the hash-table because there is no
documentation and that in SRFI 69 i forget to do that, a simple function in
SRFI like this one could be useful:

;; delete all the elements of a hash table but not the hash table itself
(will be done by garbage collector)

(define (hash-table-clear! ht) (map (lambda (key) (hash-table-delete! ht
key))
  (hash-table-keys ht)))

i have modified and ran the program again, and will see if the message from
garbage collector happens again (in a week of computation...) i will also
check the whole program that seems to expand symbolic expressions a lot
when i have time.

Regards,
Damien