unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [ANN] guile-curl 0.8 released
       [not found] <20210111013330.GA1517301.ref@spikycactus.com>
@ 2021-01-11  1:33 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2021-01-11  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I am pleased to announce the release of guile-curl 0.8.  This is a
library for fetching files by URL from the internet in the GNU Guile
dialect of the Scheme programming language.  It wraps functionality
provided by the libcurl library.  It supports many protocols, such as
https, ftp, tftp, gopher, and smtp, and it has many options for
proxies.

In the previous release, Aleix and Ricardo reported that it failed to
build or pass its test suite.  I couldn't reproduce those problems on
my boxes, but, hopefully this hack improves the situation.

The development tree is at
  https://github.com/spk121/guile-curl

For a source archive from a javascript-free location, there is
  http://lonelycactus.com/tarball/guile_curl-0.8.tar.gz
The md5 sum is at
  http://lonelycactus.com/tarball/guile_curl-0.8.tar.gz.md5
and is
  01eda6d02f8ac1568db3a1a0ef3781a5  guile_curl-0.8.tar.gz

Alternately, you can find it under the Github release page.  The
versions found here are unbootstrapped.  They are, however, https.
  https://github.com/spk121/guile-curl/releases

There is a webpage -- in need of updating -- at
  http://www.lonelycactus.com/guile-curl.html

For Release 0.8 - Jan 11, 2021

    - Eliminate all traces of gnulib
    - Use srfi-64 for test scripts
    - Avoid recursive automake
    - Simplify build somewhat
    - When CURL constants and enums are not present, the Guile versions
      will be #f, instead of undefined
    - Use pkg-config instead of curl-config to gather information
      about the libcurl install
    - Remove ChangeLog

There is no mailing list for this project.  Feel free to contact
me directly if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Mike Gran

* Re: [ANN] guile-curl 0.8 released
@ 2021-01-11  2:50   ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2021-01-11  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user

Great! This new version works fine and is now available in homebrew guile :-).

One minor thing is that I was using brew defaults and I think they add
more make jobs (i.e. -jN where N > 1). This meant that curl.scm was
built before the extension and therefore it failed. To solve it I just
forced it to "make -j1", which is totally fine since there are just a
few files.

Thanks!

Aleix

@ 2021-01-11  2:52     ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2021-01-11  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user

Btw, github's https url works perfectly. Thanks!