unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Problems building GNU Greg testing framework
@ 2011-01-08  1:03 romel
From: romel @ 2011-01-08  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello,

I'm trying to build GNU Greg 1.4 in order to build Guile DBI but when I
run ./configure something goes wrong.

$ ./configure --prefix $HOME/opt/
checking host system type... Invalid configuration
`x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

checking target system type... Invalid configuration
`x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

checking build system type... Invalid configuration
`x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -I/home/romel/opt/include
-I/home/romel/opt/include/guile/2.0 -L/home/romel/opt/lib) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -I/home/romel/opt/include
-I/home/romel/opt/include/guile/2.0 -L/home/romel/opt/lib) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... (cached) yes
checking for _ prefix in compiled symbols... (cached) no
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed

I'm using guile 1.9.14 builded in ~/opt and I have set the following
environment variables:

export LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/opt/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/opt/include -I$HOME/opt/include/guile/2.0"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/opt/lib/pkgconfig"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/opt/lib/"
export PATH="$HOME/opt/bin:$PATH"

I'm running Trisquel 4 taranis in an AMD 64 machine.

Anybody can bring some light to this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Romel Sandoval

* Re: Problems building GNU Greg testing framework
@ 2011-01-09 20:50 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2011-01-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi!

romel@lavabit.com writes:

> I'm trying to build GNU Greg 1.4 in order to build Guile DBI but when I
> run ./configure something goes wrong.
>
> $ ./configure --prefix $HOME/opt/
> checking host system type... Invalid configuration
> `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

This means that Greg’s ‘config.guess’ (which originates from Autoconf)
is very, very old, and doesn’t know this architecture, leading to:

> ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
> Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
> configure: error: libtool configure failed

AFAIK Greg has been mostly unmaintained for several years.  Still, you
could try regenerating the configure machinery with a current Autoconf
and see what happens.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* [SOLVED] Re: Problems building GNU Greg testing framework
@ 2011-01-11  1:24   ` romel
From: romel @ 2011-01-11  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user

Thanks Ludovic,

I delete config.guess and config.sub, then regenerate them and voila.

I see Greg it's very old, Does have Guile DBI project a plan to remove
this dependency or to give some maintenance to Greg? Just curious.

As a side note, in order to build Guile DBI on Guile 1.9.14 I had to
remove a hardcoded -lguile library reference from /src/test/Makefile.am.

Before:
libguile_dbd_test_la_LIBADD = -ldl -lz -lguile

After:
libguile_dbd_test_la_LIBADD = -ldl -lz

Regards,

Romel Sandoval

> Hi!
>
> romel@lavabit.com writes:
>
>> I'm trying to build GNU Greg 1.4 in order to build Guile DBI but when I
>> run ./configure something goes wrong.
>>
>> $ ./configure --prefix $HOME/opt/
>> checking host system type... Invalid configuration
>> `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized
>
> This means that Greg’s ‘config.guess’ (which originates from
> Autoconf)
> is very, very old, and doesn’t know this architecture, leading to:
>
>> ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
>> Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
>> configure: error: libtool configure failed
>
> AFAIK Greg has been mostly unmaintained for several years.  Still, you
> could try regenerating the configure machinery with a current Autoconf
> and see what happens.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: [SOLVED] Re: Problems building GNU Greg testing framework
@ 2011-01-11  5:56     ` Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2011-01-11  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: romel; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guile-user

Hi,

On 10 January 2011 19:24,  <romel@lavabit.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ludovic,
>
> I delete config.guess and config.sub, then regenerate them and voila.
>
> I see Greg it's very old, Does have Guile DBI project a plan to remove
> this dependency or to give some maintenance to Greg? Just curious.

I maintain guile-dbi, I had no idea that greg was unmaintained.
guile-dbi was using greg since before I got involved.  Being lazy,
I'm not sure what to do ... what could/should replace greg?

> As a side note, in order to build Guile DBI on Guile 1.9.14 I had to
> remove a hardcoded -lguile library reference from /src/test/Makefile.am.
>
> Before:
> libguile_dbd_test_la_LIBADD = -ldl -lz -lguile
>
> After:
> libguile_dbd_test_la_LIBADD = -ldl -lz

Thanks, I'll fix that up.

--linas

* Re: [SOLVED] Re: Problems building GNU Greg testing framework
@ 2011-01-23 13:03       ` Andrew Horton
From: Andrew Horton @ 2011-01-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On 11/01/2011 05:56, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10 January 2011 19:24,<romel@lavabit.com>  wrote:
>> Thanks Ludovic,
>>
>> I delete config.guess and config.sub, then regenerate them and voila.
>>
>> I see Greg it's very old, Does have Guile DBI project a plan to remove
>> this dependency or to give some maintenance to Greg? Just curious.
>
> I maintain guile-dbi, I had no idea that greg was unmaintained.
> guile-dbi was using greg since before I got involved.  Being lazy,
> I'm not sure what to do ... what could/should replace greg?

I think Greg lives on as part of the GNUstep project. There are more
up-to-date versions here: http://gna.org/projects/greg