unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* eof-object? documentation
@ 2020-11-15 12:15 Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-11-15 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Hello Guile users!

I noticed a mistake in the documentation at
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Binary-I_002fO.html.

There it says:

"To use these routines, first include the binary I/O module:
(use-modules (ice-9 binary-ports))"

and then it lists `eof-object?`, which implies, that this procedure is
in the `(ice-9 binary-ports)` module.

However, it is available without importing that module and not
available, when only importing the module as follows:

~~~~
$ guile
GNU Guile 3.0.4
Copyright (C) 1995-2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> (library (file-utils)
  (export)
  (import
    (except (rnrs base) let-values map error)
    (only (guile)
          lambda*
          call-with-input-file
          call-with-output-file
          set-port-encoding!
          ;; this is documented to be in (ice-9 binary-ports) but it is not
          #;eof-object?)
    ;; for textual reading and writing procedures
    (ice-9 textual-ports)
    ;; not sure if needed
    (ice-9 binary-ports)
    ;; for `eof-object?`
    (ice-9 rdelim)
    ;; srfi-1 for list procedures
    (srfi srfi-1)))
scheme@(file-utils)> eof-object
Display all 338 possibilities? (y or n)
scheme@(file-utils)> eof-object?
;;; <unknown-location>: warning: possibly unbound variable `eof-object?'
ice-9/boot-9.scm:1669:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Unbound variable: eof-object?

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(file-utils) [1]>
~~~~

However, the procedure `eof-object` (no trailing question mark) is
available:

~~~~
[...]

$1 = #<procedure eof-object ()>
scheme@(file-utils)>
~~~~

which is not available when not doing the imports like that and simply
calling guile and trying to access it:

~~~~

scheme@(guile-user)> eof-object
;;; <unknown-location>: warning: possibly unbound variable `eof-object'
ice-9/boot-9.scm:1669:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Unbound variable: eof-object

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(guile-user) [1]>
~~~~

If you could point me to where and how to update the docs, I could
probably take away that `?`. Not sure what is involved in the process of
fixing the docs.

Regards,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl

* Re: eof-object? documentation
@ 2020-11-15 12:16 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-11-15 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Nevermind … One line below the definition in the docs it says:

"Note that unlike other procedures in this module, eof-object? is
defined in the default environment. "

But why would it be listed there then?

--

@ 2020-11-21  8:52   ` randomlooser
From: randomlooser @ 2020-11-21  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl, Guile User

Il giorno dom, 15/11/2020 alle 13.16 +0100, Zelphir Kaltstahl ha
scritto:
> Nevermind … One line below the definition in the docs it says:
>
> "Note that unlike other procedures in this module, eof-object? is
> defined in the default environment. "
>
> But why would it be listed there then?

Maybe you could file an issue in the issue tracker ?

* Re: eof-object? documentation
@ 2020-11-22 18:57     ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-11-22 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: randomlooser, Guile User

On 21.11.20 09:52, randomlooser wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 15/11/2020 alle 13.16 +0100, Zelphir Kaltstahl ha
> scritto:
>> Nevermind … One line below the definition in the docs it says:
>>
>> "Note that unlike other procedures in this module, eof-object? is
>> defined in the default environment. "
>>
>> But why would it be listed there then?
> Maybe you could file an issue in the issue tracker ?

Hi!

I am not sure it is an issue to be honest, because it has that
"repairing phrase" below it, saying, that the procedure is not in that
module. It is also not a big problem, only something I noticed and that
I found surprising or weird.

I did not find the repository of the Guile reference manual yet. Can
anyone point me to it? Then I could perhaps add examples, notes or
remove  the "?" from the page and that phrase other stuff via pull request.

Best regards,
Zelphir

--

@ 2020-11-22 22:36       ` Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2020-11-22 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl, Guile User

Il giorno dom, 22/11/2020 alle 19.57 +0100, Zelphir Kaltstahl ha
scritto:

> I did not find the repository of the Guile reference manual yet. Can
> anyone point me to it? Then I could perhaps add examples, notes or
> remove  the "?" from the page and that phrase other stuff via pull
> request.
>
> Best regards,
> Zelphir

The Guile reference manual is in the same repository of Guile itself

The manual is in the "doc" folder

I built the manual without building the whole Guile myself, but I don't
remember

I asked on the irc channel, back then

It was when Alex Sassmanhausen added a mention of guile-hall to the
manual