unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-18 19:54 Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2021-02-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Guilers !

I happily managed to find some time to write a new chapter for the Guile Hacker Handbook !

https://jeko.frama.io/en/char-sets.html

It deals with char-sets, something new to me. The exercise was fun, I liked how convenient it is to play with these data type.

As always, I would be glad to start a conversation around my code snippets, the handbook, test driven development, or whatever linked to Guile ! :-)

The next chapter will probably introduce macros (syntax-rules) !

For those who missed it, I am also starting a work towards a guile-ide.el for Emacs.

https://framagit.org/Jeko/guile-ide

Actually it's just a set of extensions I use (or will) and some feature I would like it to provide. I plan to engage with the Emacs team to see how we can work together to enhance the Guile hacking experience !

Thank you !
Cheers !

Jérémy

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-18 21:53 ` Ricardo Wurmus
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-02-18 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Jérémy,

> For those who missed it, I am also starting a work towards a guile-ide.el for Emacs.
>
> https://framagit.org/Jeko/guile-ide

Interesting.  Do you think there is some overlap with guile-studio[1]?
(It’s available in Guix.)

[1]: https://git.elephly.net/software/guile-studio.git

--
Ricardo

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-18 21:54 ` Ricardo Wurmus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-02-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: guile-user

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> writes:

> For those who missed it, I am also starting a work towards a guile-ide.el for Emacs.
>
> https://framagit.org/Jeko/guile-ide

Forgot to include a screenshot of Guile Studio:

   https://elephly.net/downies/guile-studio.png

--
Ricardo

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-18 21:56 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-02-18 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Jeremy!

I am looking forward to seeing a new chapter of your handbook,
especially, if there is more stuff that explains macros and how to get
something useful done with macros. : )

There is guile-studio as well:
https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/guile-studio-0.1.0-1.93622e7/ (That's
what I found on a quick guix search.), which is already making use of
Emacs, as far as I remember. I think someone on the guile IRC channel
mentioned it and might be here on the mailing list. Perhaps the goals of
that project are different from guile-ide, but I thought I should
probably mention it.

Best regards,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-18 23:15 ` divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2021-02-18 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Le jeudi 18 février 2021 à 20:54 +0100, Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski a
écrit :
> I happily managed to find some time to write a new chapter for the
> Guile Hacker Handbook !
>
> https://jeko.frama.io/en/char-sets.html
>
> It deals with char-sets, something new to me. The exercise was fun, I
> liked how convenient it is to play with these data type.

The use of unicode makes it tempting to think that each thing you can
index in a string is a character. This will work most of the time,
except in some cases with foreign languages. This remark is general,
and applies in many situations, including the previous chapter about
characters. I suggest reading:
https://manishearth.github.io/blog/2017/01/14/stop-ascribing-meaning-to-unicode-code-points/
.

Fortunately, there are very few international problems that need to
look at individual characters of a string. Your password rules example
is arguably one of them, although it may make non-latin users angry
(this upper case / lower case distinction does not work in chinese, as
far as I know). The other example that I'm aware of is limiting the
size of a message so that the reader does not get bored (so, not for
storage reasons). One website famously limits the number of unicode
code points for a message, although it is in fact much more complex and
opinionated than expected (
https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/counting-characters).

I think that the approach of demonstrating general code that works with
latin except "special characters" is rude to the rest of the world and
should not be put in such a strategic place as the Guile Hacker
Handbook.

For your example, I suggest switching to something that has more
structure and is purposedly latin, for instance checking the validity
of IBAN accounts, car license plates in an applicable country, maybe
your grocery store's customer ID... You can also invent your own.

The previous chapter about characters gives a good importance to letter
intervals, which is even more difficult because the locale order would
put 'é' after 'e' and before 'f', but the char>=? predicate would put
it after everything. So, this does not even work for all latin. And if
you use the locale order, then you won't even have meaningful character
ranges anymore.

Unicode is a very complex beast, with very few general use cases. Don't
let that discourage you. Fortunately, most of everyday computing tasks
can be solved without going down to the unicode character semantics. As
a general idea, I would suggest to stay away from characters, and start
with strings.

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-19  0:10   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-02-19  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 6:17 PM divoplade <d@divoplade.fr> wrote:

> Fortunately, there are very few international problems that need to
> look at individual characters of a string. Your password rules example
> is arguably one of them, although it may make non-latin users angry
> (this upper case / lower case distinction does not work in chinese, as
> far as I know).

The 2017 (U.S.) NIST password guidelines no longer limit what characters
can appear in a password: in particular, spaces, Chinese characters, and
emoji are fine.  Here is the complete list of guidelines, which are binding
on the U.S. government but recommended for everyone:

1) Passwords must be 8 characters or more but not more than 64 characters,
and must be hashed and salted before being stored.  Password length is the
primary defense against password cracking.  (Note that a password assigned
by the system such as a PIN may have as few as 6 digits.)

2) All Unicode characters should be allowed unless they are forbidden by
the underlying system.  Runs of repeated or consecutive characters,
however, are not allowed.

3) Pasting text should be allowed wherever possible, so as to encourage the
use of password managers.

4) Password hints are not allowed.  They weaken security.

5) Enforcing periodic password changes is not allowed.  They decrease
usability and encourage users to use the same or similar passwords, which
causes the increased security to be negligible.

6) Enforcing password complexity requirements like the use of lower case,
upper case, digits, etc. is not allowed.  The security they add is
negligible.

7) Passwords must be screened against a list of commonly used passwords,
known compromised passwords, and dictionary words, as password cracking
programs will usually try such passwords first.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
Work hard / play hard,                                      cowan@ccil.org
die young / rot quickly.

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-19  7:09 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-02-19  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Jérémy,

Thank you for your book!

How you’re describing char-sets using a clear use-case looks really
good!

A few comments:

# Try and run the test

here you write “the test fails”, which is slightly unprecise. The
precise wording would be “the test will fail to run”.

# Write the minimal …

I wonder why the test-suite returns "passes 1" in the second try (with
undefined password-valid?).

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> writes:

> The next chapter will probably introduce macros (syntax-rules) !

If you want to see the extend to which you can play with macros, you can
have a look at my natural-script-writing entry-point (from enter-three-witches):
https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/dryads-wake/browse/enter.w?rev=tip#L349

Thank you for your book!

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-19  8:10   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-02-19  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guile-user

> From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 22:54:36 +0100
> Cc: guile-user@gnu.org
>
> Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> writes:
>
> > For those who missed it, I am also starting a work towards a guile-ide.el for Emacs.
> >
> > https://framagit.org/Jeko/guile-ide
>
> Forgot to include a screenshot of Guile Studio:
>
>    https://elephly.net/downies/guile-studio.png

Thanks for your work, but would it make sense to coordinate this with
the Emacs project, so that, for example, these packages could be
available from the GNU ELPA site, if not in the Emacs tarball?

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-19 10:20     ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2021-02-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guile-user

Le vendredi 19 février 2021 à 10:10 +0200, Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
> Thanks for your work, but would it make sense to coordinate this with
> the Emacs project, so that, for example, these packages could be
> available from the GNU ELPA site, if not in the Emacs tarball?

Hello Eli,

It was my intention. ;-)

@ 2021-02-19 11:15   ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2021-02-19 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guile-user

Le jeudi 18 février 2021 à 22:53 +0100, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
> Hi Jérémy,
>
> > For those who missed it, I am also starting a work towards a guile-
> > ide.el for Emacs.
> >
> > https://framagit.org/Jeko/guile-ide
>
> Interesting.  Do you think there is some overlap with guile-
> studio[1]?
> (It’s available in Guix.)
>
> [1]: https://git.elephly.net/software/guile-studio.git

Hi Ricardo !

Firstly, I am convinced Guile Studio can help in Guile onboarding ! I
did come from Spacemacs and moved to Emacs (because of Paredit) when I
felt ready. I have to say the way Spacemacs configuration is made also
helped me to apprehend the jump to Emacs.

I think there could be overlaps actually even if we seem to serve
different purposes. In my perspective, Guile Studio could activate a
Guile mode instead of the Scheme mode ! This Guile mode would come from
guile-ide.el. So it can benefit to newcomers thanks to Guile Studio as
well as advanced (bare)Emacs users.

The guile-ide.el I try to build is focused on the code edition
(specially "refactoring" features like extracting or renaming
variables/procedures, adding/removing procedure parameters, generating
test/implemetation code/file, highlighting syntax errors/unused
variables/not defined variables, providing auto-completion, jumping to
definition/usage/documentation, and so on… all accross all files of a
project).
There is more, but I have to start somewhere haha.

Those are features I am used to when I edit code with editors at work.

@ 2021-02-19 11:23   ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2021-02-19 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: guile-user

Le jeudi 18 février 2021 à 22:56 +0100, Zelphir Kaltstahl a écrit :
> Hello Jeremy!

Hi Zelphir!

> I am looking forward to seeing a new chapter of your handbook,
> especially, if there is more stuff that explains macros and how to
> get
> something useful done with macros. : )

Thank you for your support.
Macros are a wide topic, I will start with a syntax-rule to make use of
srfi-64 more attractive to me ! ;)

The "test-begin" "test-****" "test-end" feels too much procedural to me
haha

> There is guile-studio as well:
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/guile-studio-0.1.0-1.93622e7/

I did read about it on the mailing list ! Hopefully we are
complementary. ;)

@ 2021-02-19 12:16       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-02-19 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: guile-user

> From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr>
> Cc: guile-user@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:20:54 +0100
>
> Le vendredi 19 février 2021 à 10:10 +0200, Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
> > Thanks for your work, but would it make sense to coordinate this with
> > the Emacs project, so that, for example, these packages could be
> > available from the GNU ELPA site, if not in the Emacs tarball?
>
> Hello Eli,
>
> It was my intention. ;-)

Great, thanks.  Looking forward for hearing from you on the Emacs
mailing lists.

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-19 12:59   ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2021-02-19 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Divoplade !

As takeout of your message, I will add in my TODO to find other
exercises for the characters and character-sets chapters.

I had not much ideas but you gave me some more here.

Thank you for this feedback which will hopefully makes the handbook
more inclusive !

@ 2021-02-19 17:26     ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-02-19 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: guile-user

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> writes:

> Le jeudi 18 février 2021 à 22:56 +0100, Zelphir Kaltstahl a écrit :
>> I am looking forward to seeing a new chapter of your handbook,
>> especially, if there is more stuff that explains macros and how to
>> get
>> something useful done with macros. : )
>
> Thank you for your support.
> Macros are a wide topic, I will start with a syntax-rule to make use of
> srfi-64 more attractive to me ! ;)

You could look into my doctest module:

https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/wisp/browse/examples/doctests.scm?rev=tip

this currently does not use a macro but eval, because it uses procedure
properties to store the tests, but it could definitely benefit from
limiting the impact of eval with a macro:
https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/wisp/browse/examples/doctests.scm?rev=7ccdb6b2fd94#L123

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guile Hacker Handbook - Character sets
@ 2021-02-19 21:31   ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2021-02-19 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: guile-user

Le vendredi 19 février 2021 à 08:09 +0100, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide a
écrit :
> Hi Jérémy,

Hey Dr. Arne !

> Thank you for your book!

My pleasure :)

> How you’re describing char-sets using a clear use-case looks really
> good!

Thank you, I appreciate that.

> A few comments:
>
> # Try and run the test
>
> here you write “the test fails”, which is slightly unprecise. The
> precise wording would be “the test will fail to run”.

You're right, I'm correcting this right now.

> # Write the minimal …
>
> I wonder why the test-suite returns "passes 1" in the second try
> (with
> undefined password-valid?).

This is something very annoying indeed and it forces you to be very
careful.
I haven't the answer to your question. I assume that SRFI-64 catches
the "Unbound variable" exception somehow and return #f which is the
value the test is coincidently waiting for…
Changing the test to

(test-error "empty password is not valid"
  #t
  (password-valid? ""))

Will pass :

$ guile -L . char-sets-test.scm
;;; note: source file ./char-sets.scm
;;;       newer than compiled /home/jeko/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-
4.4/tmp/char-sets.scm.go
;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
;;; compiling ./char-sets.scm
;;; compiled /home/jeko/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.4/tmp/char-
sets.scm.go
%%%% Starting test harness-char-sets  (Writing full log to "harness-
char-sets.log")
# of expected passes      1

This indicates an error is raised :

$ cat harness-char-sets.log
%%%% Starting test harness-char-sets
Group begin: harness-char-sets
Test begin:
  test-name: "empty password is not valid"
  source-file: "char-sets-test.scm"
  source-line: 8
  source-form: (test-error "empty password is not valid" #t (password-
valid? ""))
Test end:
  result-kind: pass
  actual-error: (unbound-variable #f "Unbound variable: ~S" (password-
valid?) #f)
  expected-error: #t
Group end: harness-char-sets
# of expected passes      1

But I am a bad assumption-er so I should ask to the srfi-64 mailing
list haha. I'm wondering if Guile can return #unspecified ?

> If you want to see the extend to which you can play with macros, you
> can
> have a look at my natural-script-writing entry-point (from enter-
> three-witches):
> https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/dryads-wake/browse/enter.w?rev=tip#L349

I will have a look at it, thank you for sharing. I think I will have a
look even to some of your repos. Haha !

> Thank you for your book!

Thank you for reading :-)

Cheers,