unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Idiomatic Guile for semigroup/monoid/group?
@ 2022-01-01 23:45 Stuart Hungerford
From: Stuart Hungerford @ 2022-01-01 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I'm new to Guile so I'm working my way through the Guile Reference
Manual and the Dybvig Scheme book.

I'd like to use Guile in my self-learning of abstract
algebra--semigroups, monoids and groups only for now. It seems that
with Guile's macros, access to C libraries and rich numeric tower, it
would be a good environment for this kind of programmatic exploration.

In Haskell/Idris/Purescript/Swift/Rust I'd be looking to
typeclasses/protocols or traits to model a semigroup, monoid or group.
In OOP languages I'd be looking to some kind of abstract base class to
model each structure.

What would the idiomatic Guile forms be to work with these structures?
Would it involve GOOPS or records?

For reference, I'm still to read:

https://www.reddit.com/r/scheme/comments/q824ps/is_there_a_portable_way_to_do_type_classes/

https://www.deinprogramm.de/scheme-2005/01-garcia/01-garcia.pdf