unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 12:49 Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2009-01-27 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I am trying to get guile 1.8.6 to work (use) slib so that the
following configure test for gnucash (www.gnucash.org) works:

  guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"

When I do that, I get:

ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/share/slib/mklibcat"

When I try to build a new catalog I get:

standard input:1:1: In expression (require (quote new-catalog)):
standard input:1:1: Unbound variable: require

How do I get out of this infinite loop?

One way may be the 'Template.scm' file which the slib README describes thusly:

  `Template.scm' Example configuration file.  Copy and customize to
	reflect your system.

But I can't find what that means.  There is already a 'guile.init'
file which has some of the same things in it, but the template files
seems to have the sllb:features definitions that are missing.
Instructions for guile do not have any instructions for guile
initialization files that I can find.

So the queston is: What should the Template.scm files be copied to and
where should it go.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not the only one (see
the gnucash mailinglist).

Thanks so much.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida
USA

* Re: Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 14:01 ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2009-01-27 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Quoth Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>:
> I am trying to get guile 1.8.6 to work (use) slib

I had problems with SLIB a while ago and IIRC it's a [load-]path issue:

Perhaps something in the thread beginning here:

 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.user/6477

may help.

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.

* Re: Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 15:29   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2009-01-27 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Sebastian Tennant
<sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:
> Quoth Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>:
>> I am trying to get guile 1.8.6 to work (use) slib
>
> I had problems with SLIB a while ago and IIRC it's a [load-]path issue:
>
> Perhaps something in the thread beginning here:
>
>  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.user/6477

Thanks, Sebastian, I'll check it out.

-Tom

* Re: Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 16:02   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2009-01-27 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Sebastian Tennant
<sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:
> Quoth Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>:
>> I am trying to get guile 1.8.6 to work (use) slib
>
> I had problems with SLIB a while ago and IIRC it's a [load-]path issue:
>
> Perhaps something in the thread beginning here:
>
>  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.user/6477
>
> may help.

Um, I've seen the thread before and it doesn't work for me.

Where are the guile/slib experts on this list?  This has been a known
problem for sometime   Surely someone has a definitive answer.

Thanks, anyway, Sebastian.

-Tom

* Re: Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 17:46 ` Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2009-01-27 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Browder; +Cc: guile-user

2009/1/27 Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>:
> I am trying to get guile 1.8.6 to work (use) slib so that the
> following configure test for gnucash (www.gnucash.org) works:
>
>  guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"
>
> When I do that, I get:
>
> ERROR: In procedure open-file:
> ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/share/slib/mklibcat"

Here's a long-shot:

ln -s /usr/share/slib/mklibcat.scm /usr/share/slib/mklibcat

my system has this link, maybe yours is missing?

--linas

* Re: Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 17:59   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2009-01-27 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linasvepstas; +Cc: guile-user

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Linas Vepstas <linasvepstas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a long-shot:
>
> ln -s /usr/share/slib/mklibcat.scm /usr/share/slib/mklibcat
>
> my system has this link, maybe yours is missing?

Thanks, Linas--that got me a little farther.  Now I get:

guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"
ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/local/share/guile/site/slibcat"

I can't find any sign of "slibcat*" in either my guile or my slib
directories.  I also can't make a "new-catalog."

-Tom

* Re: Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 19:23     ` Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2009-01-27 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Browder; +Cc: guile-user

2009/1/27 Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Linas Vepstas <linasvepstas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's a long-shot:
>>
>> ln -s /usr/share/slib/mklibcat.scm /usr/share/slib/mklibcat
>>
>> my system has this link, maybe yours is missing?
>
> Thanks, Linas--that got me a little farther.  Now I get:
>
> guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"
> ERROR: In procedure open-file:
> ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/local/share/guile/site/slibcat"
>
> I can't find any sign of "slibcat*" in either my guile or my slib
> directories.  I also can't make a "new-catalog."

Dunno I have no such file.
FWIW, I get:

 guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"
ERROR: In procedure primitive-load-path:
ERROR: Unable to find file "slib/guile.init" in load path

even though

locate guile.init
/usr/share/slib/init/guile.init

so I dunno.

--linas

* Re: Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 20:48 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-01-27 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to get guile 1.8.6 to work (use) slib so that the
> following configure test for gnucash (www.gnucash.org) works:

If you installed from source, did you follow the instructions from the
manual (info "(guile) SLIB installation")?

If you installed SLIB from the Debian package, you may need special
tricks, as suggested in the thread Sebastian mentioned.

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* Re: Guile and SLIB
@ 2009-01-27 22:28   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2009-01-27 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am trying to get guile 1.8.6 to work (use) slib so that the
>> following configure test for gnucash (www.gnucash.org) works:
>
> If you installed from source, did you follow the instructions from the
> manual (info "(guile) SLIB installation")?

Yes, and they are not correct for my situation: Linux x64, Centos 5.2,
guile 1.8.6,and the latest version of slib (3b1 versus 3a3 in the
guile manual).  I am in the process of documenting what I had to do
and was going to present it here (showing changes needed in the guile
manual) if there is interest.

(It would be nice if slib were included with the guile package so they
played nice together--their interface seems somewhat fragile when
installed separately.)

Regards,

-Tom