unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
From: Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>
To: Guile User <guile-user@gnu.org>
Subject: Source location behavior differs in REPL and script?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 14:26:38 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

For context, I'm trying to fix issues with source locations
from embedded Scheme code in LilyPond. Essentially, with
Guile 2.2, errors are displayed without any source location
info because the evaluator doesn't provide them. The compiler
does, so I'm investigating whether we can use it.

So far, I've been experimenting in the REPL, and tearing my
hair because I couldn't get locations to work. My test started
to become inconvenient to modify in the REPL at some point,
so I switched to putting that code in a .scm file. To my
great surprise, that made locations suddenly work.

Example:

(use-modules (system base compile))

(define code-str
   "
(begin
   (debug-disable 'backtrace)
   (define (func1 x)
     (func2 x)
     (func2 x)
     (func2 x))

   (define (func2 x)
     (display (func3 x))
     (write (func3 x))
     (map write (func3 x)))

   (define (func3 x)
     (error \"Oops\"))

   (func1 #f))
   ")

(define code-synt
   (call-with-input-string
    code-str
    (lambda (port)
      (set-port-filename! port "fake.scm")
      (read-syntax port))))

(compile code-synt)

When I paste this in the REPL, the given error is

ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Oops

When I put it in tests.scm and run "guile3.0 tests.scm",
the error is

fake.scm:15:4: In procedure func1:
Oops

When I put it in a LilyPond file, the result is

Oops

(without any location info at all).

Does anyone have a clue about what causes these differences?
Is it expected? Should I report it as a bug? Also, is there a
workaround?

Thanks,
Jean