unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* setting breakpoints at the repl
@ 2021-12-20  7:06 Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2021-12-20  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

I am working on improving the debugger interface for geiser-guile (the
main idea is to be able to send debugging meta-commands from the
*Geiser Dbg* buffer... there's something already in there in the HEAD
branches), but i am failing to understand how to set breakpoints at the
source level using ,break-at-source.  Basically, every single time i try
to set one with something like

    ,break-at-source "/home/jao/foo.scm" 3

the REPL tells me back:

    While executing meta-command:
    No procedures found at ~a:~a. "/home/jao/foo.scm" 3

I'm providing line numbers that fall inside procedure definitions (as
advised by the meta-command's doctring), but i'm still getting the same
error, no matter what.  For instance, foo.scm above contains

       (define (foo x)
         (display x)
         (display x)  ;; wanted a bp here
         (display x)
         (display x))

This is Guile 3.0.7, packaged by debian.

I must be missing something obvious, but it's too late to drink more
coffee :) What is it?

Thanks in advance!
jao
--
Lisp has assisted a number of our most gifted fellow humans in
thinking previously impossible thoughts. —Edsger Dijkstra

* Re: setting breakpoints at the repl
@ 2021-12-25 12:58 ` zx spectrumgomas
From: zx spectrumgomas @ 2021-12-25 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

  Hello. I tried and I think it works if first you load foo.scm . I'm in
Manjaro:

$guile3.0
GNU Guile 3.0.7.72-dc7f1
> ,break-at-source "/home/spectrumgomas/foo.scm" 3
No procedures found at  ~a:~a. "/home/spectrumgomas/foo.scm" 3
> (load "foo.scm")
> ,break-at-source "foo.scm" 3
No procedures found at  ~a:~a. "foo.scm" 3
> ,break-at-source "/home/spectrumgomas/foo.scm" 3
Trap 0: Breakpoint at /home/spectrumgomas/foo.scm:3

@ 2021-12-26  1:28   ` Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz @ 2021-12-26  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zx spectrumgomas, guile-user

On Sat, Dec 25 2021, zx spectrumgomas wrote:

>   Hello. I tried and I think it works if first you load foo.scm . I'm in
> Manjaro:

Oh, thanks a lot for trying... i was loading/compiling the file always
with geiser, so i guess i'm doing something there that precludes
breakpoints from working, i'll check!

thanks again,
jao
--
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the
essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,

* Re: setting breakpoints at the repl
@ 2021-12-26 22:40 ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2021-12-26 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz, guile-user

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1303 bytes --]

Le 20/12/2021 à 08:06, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am working on improving the debugger interface for geiser-guile (the
> main idea is to be able to send debugging meta-commands from the
> *Geiser Dbg* buffer... there's something already in there in the HEAD
> branches), but i am failing to understand how to set breakpoints at the
> source level using ,break-at-source.  Basically, every single time i try
> to set one with something like
>
>      ,break-at-source "/home/jao/foo.scm" 3
>
> the REPL tells me back:
>
>      While executing meta-command:
>      No procedures found at ~a:~a. "/home/jao/foo.scm" 3
>
> I'm providing line numbers that fall inside procedure definitions (as
> advised by the meta-command's doctring), but i'm still getting the same
> error, no matter what.  For instance, foo.scm above contains
>
>         (define (foo x)
>           (display x)
>           (display x)  ;; wanted a bp here
>           (display x)
>           (display x))
>
> This is Guile 3.0.7, packaged by debian.
>
> I must be missing something obvious, but it's too late to drink more
> coffee :) What is it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> jao

Hello Jao !

This is really great news and I will be happy to play with it. ;)

Cheers,

Jérémy

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: setting breakpoints at the repl
@ 2021-12-26 23:41   ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2021-12-26 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On Sun, Dec 26 2021, Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski wrote:

> Le 20/12/2021 à 08:06, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz a écrit :

[...]

> Hello Jao !
>
> This is really great news and I will be happy to play with it. ;)

Thank you!  The latest released versions of guile and geiser-guile
already contain support for using ,bt, ,error and ,q from the Dbg
buffer; it's not super-exciting, but i think it's an improvement.
There's also that evaluations/compliations are async, so interruptible
(e.g. with C-c C-i), which falls in the same "niceness ballpark", i
think.

Unfortunately, i keep being unable to set breakpoints (even the advise
received so far), not even in a simple CLI outside geiser, so i haven't
been able to improve that aspect yet.

Cheers,
jao
--
Rewards and punishments are the lowest form of education.
 -Chuang-Tzu, philosopher (4th c. BCE)

* Re: setting breakpoints at the repl
@ 2021-12-27  2:42     ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2021-12-27  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On Sun, Dec 26 2021, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 26 2021, Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski wrote:
>
>> Le 20/12/2021 à 08:06, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz a écrit :
>
> [...]
>
>> Hello Jao !
>>
>> This is really great news and I will be happy to play with it. ;)
>
> Thank you!  The latest released versions of guile and geiser-guile

i meant of *geiser* and gesier-guile, sorry.

cheers,
jao
--
Born too late to explore the earth, born too soon to explore the
galaxy, born just in time to witness every system on the planet being

* Re: setting breakpoints at the repl
@ 2023-09-20 14:09       ` Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2023-09-20 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz; +Cc: guile-user, Mikael Djurfeldt

Hi Jose,

Has there been any progress on this?

I just installed the latest gesier and geiser-guile packages from melpa and
run them under Emacs 29.1 and guile HEAD. What I would like to be able to
do is to set a breakpoint in a procedure and then get up the geiser-dbg
buffer when the breakpoint is entered such that I can step from there. But
regardless if I have evaluated the procedure with C-c C-b or if I have
loaded it using `load', I enter debugging in the repl rather than in geiser.

Is it just me or is this still not working for anyone?

Best regards,
Mikael