unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile program distributed as single executable?
@ 2022-06-06  7:36 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-06-06  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi, is there a way to "package" set of guile scripts, possibly with
other files like extensions, shared libraries, etc all combined into a
single executable?  Something like PyInstaller for Python. Thanks for
info.

* Re: guile program distributed as single executable?
@ 2022-06-06  9:58 ` Alex Sassmannshausen via General Guile related discussions
From: Alex Sassmannshausen via General Guile related discussions @ 2022-06-06  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: guile-user

I think the last release of Guile Chickadee by DThompson (<https://dthompson.us/projects/chickadee.html>) provides a program that is supposed to generate standalone binaries (in the context of games).

You may find either that program or insight from that program useful?

Good luck,

Alex

@ 2022-06-06 10:30 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2022-06-06 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, guile-user

Hi Andy,

> Hi, is there a way to "package" set of guile scripts, possibly with
> other files like extensions, shared libraries, etc all combined into a
> single executable?  Something like PyInstaller for Python. Thanks for
> info.

Not that I'm aware of, but `guix pack' probably comes
closest. https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pack.html

Not exactly what you want, but hope that helps!

Regards,
Arun

* Re: [EXT] Re: guile program distributed as single executable?
@ 2022-06-07 12:02   ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2022-06-07 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex; +Cc: Andy Tai, Guile User

It doesn't actually generate standalone binaries. It is very hacky but it
can produce redistributable tarballs for a specific use-case (games using
chickadee) by including shared libraries and other bits from the host
system.  Standalone executables will not really be possible until Guile's
compiler is capable of producing them.

- Dave

@ 2022-06-07 14:12     ` james
From: james @ 2022-06-07 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: alex, Andy Tai, Guile User

On 22/06/07 08:02am, Thompson, David wrote:
> It doesn't actually generate standalone binaries. It is very hacky but it
> can produce redistributable tarballs for a specific use-case (games using
> chickadee) by including shared libraries and other bits from the host
> system.  Standalone executables will not really be possible until Guile's
> compiler is capable of producing them.
>
> - Dave
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 9:32 AM Alex Sassmannshausen via General Guile
> related discussions <guile-user@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > I think the last release of Guile Chickadee by DThompson (<
> > https://dthompson.us/projects/chickadee.html>) provides a program that is
> > supposed to generate standalone binaries (in the context of games).
> >
> > You may find either that program or insight from that program useful?
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:
> >
> > > Hi, is there a way to “package” set of guile scripts, possibly with
> > > other files like extensions, shared libraries, etc all combined into a
> > > single executable?  Something like PyInstaller for Python. Thanks for
> > > info.

Hi,

The only solution I can think of is to create a script which would
collect code from multiples files into a similar file. Not a great
solution but it sounds like no good solutions exist so this might be a
possibility?

Hope you find something that works.

* Re: [EXT] Re: guile program distributed as single executable?
@ 2022-06-07 15:59     ` Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions
From: Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions @ 2022-06-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David, alex; +Cc: Andy Tai, Guile User

On Tue, 07 Jun 2022, "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> wrote:
> It doesn't actually generate standalone binaries. It is very hacky but it
> can produce redistributable tarballs for a specific use-case (games using
> chickadee) by including shared libraries and other bits from the host
> system.

Kind of like what `guix pack' does?

> Standalone executables will not really be possible until Guile's
> compiler is capable of producing them.

I guess it would be possible if someone were to make a linker that links
all *.go files together.  Than a loader could load that single file and
setup thing to run in the Guile's VM.

--
Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev