unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* gtk-canvas bindings for guile, second attempt
@ 2002-10-18 11:11 tomas
From: tomas @ 2002-10-18 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rm

Hi,

version 0.2 is now available at

  <http://www.fabula.de:/people/tomas/gtk-canvas-0.2.tar.gz>

Most important changes:

  - a big renaming orgy (it's not finished yet, so beware).
  - line drawing now works (I found how to pass around
    GtkCanvasPoints thingies). So should now polygon.
  - nasty bug (basically 0.1 ran off an uninitialised
    gtk-canvas lib =:-O

To test, just unpack, cd to the directory, ./cofigure
and make; then run `guile -s test-gtk-canvas.scm'.
Looking at this source should give you an impression
of what's available.

Any suggestions welcome.

(Mail.gnu.org seems down at the moment, so it might take
some time until I react to your suggestions ;-)

Now to other things. My customers are going to kill
me.

Enjoy
-- tomas

* Re: gtk-canvas bindings for guile, second attempt (errata)
@ 2002-10-18 11:41 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2002-10-18 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rm

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:11:47PM +0200, tomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> version 0.2 is now available at
>
>   <http://www.fabula.de:/people/tomas/gtk-canvas-0.2.tar.gz>

It's <http://www.fabula.de/people/tomas/gtk-canvas-0.2.tar.gz>

Sorry, folks :-/

(BTW: lots o'compiler warnings and things. They'll be taken
care of, I hope. Besides, don't try a `make install' yet --
it won't work).

Regards

@ 2002-10-19 14:40 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-10-19 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, rm

tomas@fabula.de writes:

> version 0.2 is now available at
>
>   <http://www.fabula.de:/people/tomas/gtk-canvas-0.2.tar.gz>

Hmm, I don't think it is a good idea to call this package
"gtk-canvas".  That name is not descriptibve of what it really does,
and worse, the GtkCanvas package from Andy Tai is already called
"gtk-canvas".  What about "guile-gtk-canvas"?

* Re: gtk-canvas bindings for guile, second attempt (errata)
@ 2002-10-20 13:56   ` rm
From: rm @ 2002-10-20 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, rm

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:41:38PM +0200, tomas@fabula.de wrote:
> [...]
> It's <http://www.fabula.de/people/tomas/gtk-canvas-0.2.tar.gz>
>
> Sorry, folks :-/
>
> (BTW: lots o'compiler warnings and things. They'll be taken
> care of, I hope. Besides, don't try a `make install' yet --
> it won't work).

Hi Tomas ;-)

Just a few remarks:

 Your FIXME in 'test-gtk-canvas.scm' about 'set_smooth' not working:
 After adding more bindings to guile-gtk-canvas i had to realize that
 some of the functions in gtk-canvas.h have no implementation :-/
 I have no idea about the current state of gtk-canvas (the last version
 i found is 0.1 which seems to be also the first version). Adding those
 missing features looks like a pretty trivial task ...
 Since i started adding/modifying code in gtk-canvas anyway i implemented
 a ':file' option for GtkCanvasTypeImage (yes, that's working now) which saves
 us from implementing a GdkImlibImage type.

 Should we go ahead and supply a patched version of gtk-canvas? I'm pretty
 eager about that since i think 'cm' and 'snd' both could use a working
 canvas item.

  Ralf

@ 2002-10-20 18:23     ` Daniel Skarda
From: Daniel Skarda @ 2002-10-20 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tomas, guile-user

rm@fabula.de writes:
>  Since i started adding/modifying code in gtk-canvas anyway i implemented
>  a ':file' option for GtkCanvasTypeImage (yes, that's working now) which saves
>  us from implementing a GdkImlibImage type.

  I have not seen gtk-canvas sources, but IMHO it would be better to use
GdkPixbuf. If you are interested, I send you working GdkPixbuf bindings.

0.

* Re: gtk-canvas bindings for guile, second attempt (errata)
@ 2002-10-21  9:00       ` rm
From: rm @ 2002-10-21  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rm, tomas, guile-user

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 08:23:44PM +0200, Daniel Skarda wrote:

> rm@fabula.de writes:
> >  Since i started adding/modifying code in gtk-canvas anyway i implemented
> >  a ':file' option for GtkCanvasTypeImage (yes, that's working now) which saves
> >  us from implementing a GdkImlibImage type.
>
>   I have not seen gtk-canvas sources, but IMHO it would be better to use
> GdkPixbuf. If you are interested, I send you working GdkPixbuf bindings.

Thank's for the offer, but i think GtkCanvas serves a different purpose.
It's a "high level" widget (kind of 4G language like) that can contain
item objects whcih can be attached to groups. Since groups are canvas items
themself, grouped items can be manipulated as a unit. This comes pretty handy
in applications like interactive graphic editors/plotters etc.
Anyway, where can i find the code for your GdkPixbuf (does it contain bindings
for GdkImlibImage ?) ?

 Ralf Mattes

@ 2002-10-21 10:45     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2002-10-21 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 03:56:29PM +0200, rm@fabula.de wrote:

[...]

>  Your FIXME in 'test-gtk-canvas.scm' about 'set_smooth' not working:
>  After adding more bindings to guile-gtk-canvas i had to realize that
>  some of the functions in gtk-canvas.h have no implementation :-/

I noticed too. Sorry, this staircase is not impl... AAARRRGHHH! ;-)

>  I have no idea about the current state of gtk-canvas (the last version
>  i found is 0.1 which seems to be also the first version). Adding those
>  missing features looks like a pretty trivial task ...

Hmmm...

>  Since i started adding/modifying code in gtk-canvas anyway i implemented
>  a ':file' option for GtkCanvasTypeImage (yes, that's working now) which saves
>  us from implementing a GdkImlibImage type.

Great!

>  Should we go ahead and supply a patched version of gtk-canvas? I'm pretty
>  eager about that since i think 'cm' and 'snd' both could use a working
>  canvas item.

I'm all for it. Version 0.3 coming soonish.

Thanks

@ 2002-10-21 10:47   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2002-10-21 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tomas, guile-user, rm

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 04:40:31PM +0200, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> tomas@fabula.de writes:
>
> > version 0.2 is now available at
> >
> >   <http://www.fabula.de:/people/tomas/gtk-canvas-0.2.tar.gz>
>
> Hmm, I don't think it is a good idea to call this package
> "gtk-canvas".  That name is not descriptibve of what it really does,
> and worse, the GtkCanvas package from Andy Tai is already called
> "gtk-canvas".  What about "guile-gtk-canvas"?

You are completely right. One of the things to do before version
0.3 is definitely fixing those funny names. Guile-gtk-canvas is
perfect with me.

@ 2002-10-21 13:17         ` Daniel Skarda
From: Daniel Skarda @ 2002-10-21 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

rm@fabula.de writes:
> Thank's for the offer, but i think GtkCanvas serves a different purpose.
> It's a "high level" widget (kind of 4G language like) that can contain
> item objects whcih can be attached to groups. Since groups are canvas items
> themself, grouped items can be manipulated as a unit. This comes pretty handy
> in applications like interactive graphic editors/plotters etc.
> Anyway, where can i find the code for your GdkPixbuf (does it contain bindings
> for GdkImlibImage ?) ?

  GdkPixbuf is an image handling library, a replacement for GdkImlib library.

  I understand the concept of a canvas. I thought it would be better to use
GdkPixbuf rather then GdkImlibImage as a base for image canvas items.

  Because bindings for two competing image handling libraries did not make sense
for me, I chose GdkPixbuf and finished bindings found in guile-gnome (GdkPixbuf
itself does not depend on Gnome neither guile-gnome).

0.

* Re: gtk-canvas bindings for guile, second attempt (errata)
@ 2002-10-22  9:11           ` rm
From: rm @ 2002-10-22  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rm, guile-user

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 03:17:00PM +0200, Daniel Skarda wrote:

>   GdkPixbuf is an image handling library, a replacement for GdkImlib library.
>
>   I understand the concept of a canvas. I thought it would be better to use
> GdkPixbuf rather then GdkImlibImage as a base for image canvas items.

Unfortunately this is out of my control -- GtkCanvas uses GdkImlibImages
for image items (well, at least one _can_ use them ...). For now i have
it working by providing a '#:file' keyword for the image item.

>   Because bindings for two competing image handling libraries did not make sense
> for me, I chose GdkPixbuf and finished bindings found in guile-gnome (GdkPixbuf
> itself does not depend on Gnome neither guile-gnome).

Thanks, i'll have a look at it

  Ralf