unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* ./configure cannot compute sizeof errors in guile 1.8.x
@ 2008-08-27 18:21 Dan Gerstein
From: Dan Gerstein @ 2008-08-27 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello,

    After a lot of serious web searching and trying everything I could
think of, I thought I'd ask you guys for help. On my Nokia n810, guile
fails to ./configure with an error complaining it cannot compute sizeof
(char). Removing that line from the configure script will cause it to
fail on the next sizeof block as well. My config.log can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/m170f24b2

    I saw a related issue earlier on the list, but my ld.so.conf
contains the path where libltdl was installed (/usr/local/lib), and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH also has /usr/local/lib. I am trying to compile autogen,
which requires guile from the 1.8.x series - guile 1.6.x does not have
this issue.

    I also tried autoreconf, and it allowed the configure script to
continue, but it echoed that all the 'sizeof's were 0, which struck me
as a bad thing, and also seemed to stop 'make' in its tracks as well.

    I'm sorry if i'm not terribly familiar with the (auto)configure
process, so I feel like I'm making a stupid mistake. Any ideas?

    Thank you!
- Dan

* Re: ./configure cannot compute sizeof errors in guile 1.8.x
@ 2008-08-28 22:27 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-08-28 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

Dan Gerstein <dang@toysforbob.com> writes:

>    After a lot of serious web searching and trying everything I could
> think of, I thought I'd ask you guys for help. On my Nokia n810, guile
> fails to ./configure with an error complaining it cannot compute
> sizeof (char). Removing that line from the configure script will cause
> it to fail on the next sizeof block as well. My config.log can be
> found here: http://pastebin.com/m170f24b2

Your `config.log' reads:

  ./conftest
  ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This clearly indicates that `libltdl.so.7' is not in the directories
listed in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  That's what makes `configure' fail to
compute `sizeof'.

Besides, I once wrote Maemo packages for Guile 1.8 with MUD
(http://mud-builder.garage.maemo.org/):
https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/mud-builder-users/2007-October/thread.html .

Thanks,
Ludovic.