unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Data Dictionary and Configuration Files with Guile Scheme
@ 2010-08-05 17:15 Romel Sandoval
From: Romel Sandoval @ 2010-08-05 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

I'm trying to create a data dictionary [1] to generate code from it. But
since I'm a scheme newbie I was wondering if this is the best method:

{{{
(define-syntax table
  (syntax-rules ()
    ((table name ...)
     (list 'table name ...))))

(define-syntax column
  (syntax-rules ()
	((column name ...)
	 (list 'column name ...))))

(define-syntax type
  (syntax-rules ()
	((type symbol)
	 (cons 'type symbol))))

(define-syntax constraint
  (syntax-rules ()
	((constraint symbol)
	 (cons 'constraint symbol))))

(define-syntax length
  (syntax-rules ()
	((length value)
	 (cons 'length value))))

(define *projects-table*
  (table "projects"
	(column "id"
		(type 'integer) (constraint 'primary-key))
	(column "title"
		(type 'string) (length 32) (constraint 'not-null))))
}}}

This way I can write s-exp as in the example *projects-table* an after a
load I will have the data structure ready to work with it.

{{{
scheme@(guile-user)> (load "dd.scm")
scheme@(guile-user)> *projects-table*
(table "projects" (column "id" (type . integer) (constraint .
primary-key)) (column "title" (type . string) (length . 32)
(constraint . not-null)))
}}}

I think this could be a good way to define configuration files too.

What do you think?
Exists better alternatives with Guile?
This mail should go to another list? :-)

Regards,

--
Romel R. Sandoval-Palomo

[1]http://database-programmer.blogspot.com/2008/06/using-data-dictionary.html