unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [ANN] An impudent introduction to Guile
@ 2016-02-04 23:09 Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-02-04 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user@gnu.org

I am pleased to announce that I just finished my booklet titled

A Pamphlet against R
Computational Intelligence with Guile Scheme

The pamphlet introduces (in a truly impertinent manner) a set of libraries
that I have been developing over the last few months, including topics like:

- genetic algorithms
- fuzzy logic
- decision trees
- clusterization

and more!

The book (in both pdf and LaTeX) is available with the required libraries
under the Creative Commons license at
http://panicz.github.io/pamphlet/

Yeey!

* Re: [ANN] An impudent introduction to Guile
@ 2016-02-05  0:30 ` Christopher Allan Webber
       [not found]   ` <CAMFYt2YkMi2X0G_7eTtwkc66w1UhXndy+z91ui+PF6d0ie2Rug@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-02-05  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Panicz Maciej Godek; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

Panicz Maciej Godek writes:

> Hi,
> I am pleased to announce that I just finished my booklet titled
>
> A Pamphlet against R
> Computational Intelligence with Guile Scheme
>
> The pamphlet introduces (in a truly impertinent manner) a set of libraries
> that I have been developing over the last few months, including topics like:
>
> - genetic algorithms
> - fuzzy logic
> - decision trees
> - clusterization
>
> and more!

Heya Panicz,

This is fairly up my alley of interest in terms of subjects of things to
read, so thanks for sending/writing it.  I'm not so sure about the
bitterness against R, though I guess I'm kind of weary of R myself, but
I guess I'm more of a pacifist than this paper seems to be.  Anyway, it
seems interesting, so I'll read it!

> The book (in both pdf and LaTeX) is available with the required libraries
> under the Creative Commons license at
> http://panicz.github.io/pamphlet/

Well, there are a lot of Creative Commons licenses, which do you mean?
I think CC BY-SA 4.0 would be a nice fit (plus it's GPL v3 compatible,
though sadly not GPL v3 or later compatible).

I see there's a copy of the GPL included with it; is it thus also
licensed under GPL v3 or later?

Thanks!
 - Chris

* Re: [ANN] An impudent introduction to Guile
@ 2016-02-05  6:48 ` Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2016-02-05  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Panicz Maciej Godek; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

Hi,

--- On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Panicz Maciej Godek
<godek.maciek@gmail.com> wrote:
| A Pamphlet against R
| Computational Intelligence with Guile Scheme
\--

It would be good to emphasis on Guile Scheme and how it is helpful in
computational intelligence, and remove any negative connotation with
R.

You do want R users to try Guile Scheme as well.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

* Fwd: [ANN] An impudent introduction to Guile
       [not found]   ` <CAMFYt2YkMi2X0G_7eTtwkc66w1UhXndy+z91ui+PF6d0ie2Rug@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-02-05  7:22     ` Panicz Maciej Godek
       [not found]     ` <87zivfxg1w.fsf@dustycloud.org>
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-02-05  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user@gnu.org

> > I am pleased to announce that I just finished my booklet titled
> >
> > A Pamphlet against R
> > Computational Intelligence with Guile Scheme
> >
> > The pamphlet introduces (in a truly impertinent manner) a set of
> libraries
> > that I have been developing over the last few months, including topics
> like:
> >
> > - genetic algorithms
> > - fuzzy logic
> > - decision trees
> > - clusterization
> >
> > and more!
>
> Heya Panicz,
>
> This is fairly up my alley of interest in terms of subjects of things to
> read, so thanks for sending/writing it.  I'm not so sure about the
> bitterness against R, though I guess I'm kind of weary of R myself, but
> I guess I'm more of a pacifist than this paper seems to be.  Anyway, it
> seems interesting, so I'll read it!

Well, there's only a tiny bit in that bitterness in the preface, actually
(and a tiny pun in the concluding chapter), but I deliberately tried to
make the title provocative, to sort of steal the audience from R ;]

> > The book (in both pdf and LaTeX) is available with the required libraries
> > under the Creative Commons license at
> > http://panicz.github.io/pamphlet/
>
> Well, there are a lot of Creative Commons licenses, which do you mean?
> I think CC BY-SA 4.0 would be a nice fit (plus it's GPL v3 compatible,
> though sadly not GPL v3 or later compatible).
>
> CC BY-SA 4.0 is actually what  I've been thinking about.
I will add the legal notice by the end of the day (I only realized the lack
of it while I was writing the announcement)

> I see there's a copy of the GPL included with it; is it thus also
> licensed under GPL v3 or later?

I see you're an expert, so perhaps you could explain to me what would the
implications be.
My original intent was to publish the software that comes along with the
book under GPL v3, because AFAIK GPL regards software, but if there's more
to it, then it would be nice to know

Thanks :)
Panicz

* Re: Fwd: [ANN] An impudent introduction to Guile
@ 2016-02-05 16:48       ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-02-05 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Panicz Maciej Godek; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

Panicz Maciej Godek writes:

> I see you're an expert, so perhaps you could explain to me what would the
> implications be.
> My original intent was to publish the software that comes along with the
> book under GPL v3, because AFAIK GPL regards software, but if there's more
> to it, then it would be nice to know
>
> Thanks :)
> Panicz

I replied off list with my licensing suggestions!  But I recommended
dual licensing GPLv3 or later and CC BY-SA 4.0, so people have the "or
later" option on code snippets :)

* Re: [ANN] An impudent introduction to Guile
@ 2016-02-05 18:55 ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2016-02-05 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Panicz Maciej Godek
  Cc: guile-user, guile-user-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

Héllo Panicz,

Le 2016-02-05 00:09, Panicz Maciej Godek a écrit :
> Hi,
> I am pleased to announce that I just finished my booklet titled
>
> A Pamphlet against R
> Computational Intelligence with Guile Scheme
>
> The pamphlet introduces (in a truly impertinent manner) a set of
> libraries that I have been developing over the last few months,
> including topics like:
>
> - genetic algorithms
> - fuzzy logic
> - decision trees
> - clusterization
>
> and more!
>
> The book (in both pdf and LaTeX) is available with the required
> libraries under the Creative Commons license at
> http://panicz.github.io/pamphlet/ [1]
>
> Yeey!

I skimmed over the book and it's really good, my take away:

- I should probably study better how you introduce match
- I learned new ways to create specification and apply algorithms
- The subject is *very* interesting

Also maybe to make the book even more interesting for people that want
to decide between s/scheme/guile (!) and R: add extra illustrations for
each chapter. It can be nice to have more examples of what a particular
algorithm can be used for. I mean exercices without solution (yet).
This is not useful for people that already know the field but help
people that want to jump into the buzz feed.

A chapter about Natural Language Processing/Understading would have been
extra nice, but I'm not sure it's doable in this format.

All the best!

* Re: [ANN] An impudent introduction to Guile
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-05 19:46 ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2016-02-05 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Panicz Maciej Godek; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

Say, would you like me to suggest some editing changes? Your English is
great, but I've noticed a few errors.

Lawrence Bottorff

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Panicz Maciej Godek <godek.maciek@gmail.com

@ 2016-02-05 20:29   ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-02-05 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lawrence Bottorff; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

> Say, would you like me to suggest some editing changes? Your English is
> great, but I've noticed a few errors.

Sure, that would be awesome!
I don't think that I ever manage to work out anything comparable to native
profficiency in English, but I'm always eager to learn :) (I know that the
Polish people tend to have problems with pronouns, because we have
nothing similar, for instance, and although I've been wondering about each
single usage, I'm sure that I got some of them wrong)
Thanks! :)

@ 2016-02-05 21:46       ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-02-05 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Christopher Allan Webber, guile-user@gnu.org

:

> Panicz Maciej Godek writes:
>
> >> CC BY-SA 4.0 is actually what  I've been thinking about.
> > I will add the legal notice by the end of the day (I only realized the
> lack
> > of it while I was writing the announcement)
> >

> >> I see there's a copy of the GPL included with it; is it thus also
> >> licensed under GPL v3 or later?
> >>

> > I see you're an expert, so perhaps you could explain to me what would the
> > implications be.
> > My original intent was to publish the software that comes along with the
> > book under GPL v3, because AFAIK GPL regards software, but if there's
> more
> > to it, then it would be nice to know
>

> You can dual license it under CC BY-SA 4.0 and GPLv3 or later, which is
> what I'd recommend.  CC BY-SA 4.0 is GPLv3 compatible, but not "or
> later", and I think having an "or later" in anything GPL'ed is a good
> idea.
>
> For now I've updated legal notice so that now the book contains
information about the CC BY-SA 4.0 license. Although I have nothing against
applying the dual license, I used the "doclicense" LaTeX package to
generate the information, and I don't know how to handle such use case.
Maybe I will fight with that later, but I guess that the code snippets will
sooner or later become a part of the repository that is already GPLv3+

> I've loaded the book on my e-reader, look forward to reading it!

I hope you have a pleasant read! :)

* Re: [ANN] An impudent introduction to Guile
@ 2016-02-05 22:09   ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2016-02-05 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Amirouche Boubekki
  Cc: guile-user@gnu.org, guile-user-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net