unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* modules and version numbers
@ 2007-10-05 20:34 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2007-10-05 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Ciao,

  I am thinking about adding a version number to my modules;
I want  a simple scheme  'major.minor', with NO  patch level
and NO  status indicator  (devel, alpha, beta,  stable). The
major  number changes  only when  backward  compatibility is
broken.

  No  problem for C  language shared  libraries; so  far the
only  idea I  had  for Scheme  files  is to  call the  files
"./path/to/module-1.scm"  without minor  number in  the file
name, and so '(define-module (path to module-1))'.

  I wonder if someone had ideas about it.
Something that can be done now...

P.S.

  I have found:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2005-09/msg00093.html

but  it is  not  available  now, nor  it  will be  available
anytime soon. And no, I cannot work on it.

--
Marco Maggi

"Now feel the funk blast!"
Rage Against the Machine - "Calm like a bomb"

* Re: modules and version numbers
@ 2007-10-08  7:56 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-10-08  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Maggi; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Marco,

"Marco Maggi" <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> writes:

>   No  problem for C  language shared  libraries; so  far the
> only  idea I  had  for Scheme  files  is to  call the  files
> "./path/to/module-1.scm"  without minor  number in  the file
> name, and so '(define-module (path to module-1))'.

Looks like the best (the only?) short-term practical solution.

Thanks,
Ludovic.

* Re: modules and version numbers
@ 2007-10-12 14:13 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2007-10-12 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Maggi; +Cc: guile-user

Hi,

On Fri 05 Oct 2007 16:34, "Marco Maggi" <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> writes:

> Ciao,
>
>   I am thinking about adding a version number to my modules;
> I want  a simple scheme  'major.minor', with NO  patch level
> and NO  status indicator  (devel, alpha, beta,  stable). The
> major  number changes  only when  backward  compatibility is
> broken.

I documented the guile-gnome strategy here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/docs/tutorial/getting-started/#getting-started

C libraries also encode the API version in their names (not sonames).

Regards,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: modules and version numbers
@ 2007-10-13  7:04 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2007-10-13  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

"Andy Wingo" wrote:
>On Fri 05 Oct 2007 16:34, "Marco Maggi"
<marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> writes:
>>   I am thinking about adding a version number to my modules;
>I documented the guile-gnome strategy here:
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/docs/tutorial/getting-started/#getting-started

Thanks, special versioned modules are tempting... If I
allow parallel installations:

${sitedir}/gee/<full-version>/...
${sitedir}/gee/<other-full-version>/...

then there are two options:

* to use GUILE_LOAD_PATH explicitly
* to load first a special module (gee <full-version>)

then in each versioned module hierarchy I can have
(modname-1) and (modname-2) to support new
and old interfaces, or simply (modname).

I think that I can set up this installation layout
along with the special modules as a "configure"
option. It makes more difficult to write Autoconf
modules to be used in downstream packages,
though.

As I understand it, even pkg-config wants versioned
meta file names on its command line; on my
system there are 3 versions of xaw installed and
their meta files are "xaw6", "xaw7" and "xaw8";
if I try "pkg-config xaw --libs" it says to go
fly my kite.

So I have to write my own file system inspection
script to find the available versions of a package.
:-(

--

@ 2007-10-15  9:10 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-10-15  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Maggi; +Cc: guile-user

Hi,

"Marco Maggi" <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> writes:

> So I have to write my own file system inspection
> script to find the available versions of a package.
> :-(

I'd recommend against such guessing, since it can quickly become
indeterministic, unreliable, etc.

Thanks,
Ludovic.