unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Using Guile for soft-realtime
@ 2020-11-12  4:45 Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions
From: Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions @ 2020-11-12  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi Guile's community,

I would like to use Guile as a scripting engine for a soft-realtime
software.  I'm a little bit worried about the asynchronous nature of the
GC and its nondeterministic time.

Searching in the manual, I found the section 5.7.4.2 about performance
constraints, which is empty unfortunately.

Thus, does anyone had similar experiences in the past?  Are my worries
even valids?

--
Olivier Dion
PolyMtl

* Re: Using Guile for soft-realtime
@ 2020-12-28  0:55 ` Joshua Branson via General Guile related discussions
From: Joshua Branson via General Guile related discussions @ 2020-12-28  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hey Olivier!

I've heard that guile is generally faster than python, but there are
some other schemes that are faster, notably chez scheme.

I will also say that Andy Wingo (one of the guile maintainers) is
working on making guile code "within" an order of magnitude of the speed
of C code.  I would say to try to build your program in guile and post
back here.

Good luck!

--
Joshua Branson