unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Using Guile for soft-realtime
@ 2020-11-12  4:45 Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions
From: Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions @ 2020-11-12  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi Guile's community,

I would like to use Guile as a scripting engine for a soft-realtime
software.  I'm a little bit worried about the asynchronous nature of the
GC and its nondeterministic time.

Searching in the manual, I found the section 5.7.4.2 about performance
constraints, which is empty unfortunately.

Thus, does anyone had similar experiences in the past?  Are my worries
even valids?

--
Olivier Dion
PolyMtl

* Re: Using Guile for soft-realtime
@ 2020-12-28  0:55 ` Joshua Branson via General Guile related discussions
From: Joshua Branson via General Guile related discussions @ 2020-12-28  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hey Olivier!

I've heard that guile is generally faster than python, but there are
some other schemes that are faster, notably chez scheme.

I will also say that Andy Wingo (one of the guile maintainers) is
working on making guile code "within" an order of magnitude of the speed
of C code.  I would say to try to build your program in guile and post
back here.

Good luck!

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Using Guile for soft-realtime
@ 2021-01-24 16:25   ` olivier.dion--- via General Guile related discussions
From: olivier.dion--- via General Guile related discussions @ 2021-01-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson, guile-user

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020, Joshua Branson via General Guile related discussions <guile-user@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hey Olivier!
>
> I've heard that guile is generally faster than python, but there are
> some other schemes that are faster, notably chez scheme.

Yes.  I remember seing somewhere that Guile is much more energy
efficiant than Python.  It's a shame that the latter is more popular
than the former.

> I will also say that Andy Wingo (one of the guile maintainers) is
> working on making guile code "within" an order of magnitude of the speed
> of C code.  I would say to try to build your program in guile and post
> back here.

Well the software in question is a video game engine.  But I managed to
integrate Guile into the engine, deactivating the Guile context in
critical section of C code.  Work like a charm!

--

@ 2021-01-24 19:05   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-01-24 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Dion, guile-user

Awesome!  Well done chap!  Jolly good sport!

@ 2021-01-25 13:29     ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-01-25 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Dion; +Cc: guile-user, Joshua Branson