unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* The Spritely Institute publishes A Scheme Primer (the long-requested "Guile tutorial"?)
@ 2022-07-06 18:55 Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2022-07-06 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Hello all!

I'm thrilled to announce that The Spritely Institute has published A
Scheme Primer:

  https://spritely.institute/news/the-spritely-institute-publishes-a-scheme-primer.html
  https://spritely.institute/static/papers/scheme-primer.html

Source:
  https://gitlab.com/spritely/scheme-primer

and yes since the source is a .org file, there's a .info export:
  https://spritely.institute/static/papers/scheme-primer.info

Since our core implementation of Spritely Goblins, and its associated
whitepapers, use Guile Scheme (and Racket), we really needed a way for
newcomers who *weren't* Schemers to understand the language.  That was
the first goal of this document, but it can really be read in two ways:

 - As a quick skim, it's a reasonable intro to "how to start programming
   with Scheme with no prior experience".  Hey, tutorials are useful!

 - But also, in less than 30 pages we manage to compress a TON of
   computer science ideas from SICP, Little Schemer, etc in a way that I
   think is really, really approachable.

But of course I'm biased.  I'd like to know what you think!

I've considered making a Guix package of the .info version.  What do
people think?  Would that be useful?

Happy scheming!
 - Christine

* Re: The Spritely Institute publishes A Scheme Primer (the long-requested "Guile tutorial"?)
@ 2022-07-07  3:02 ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2022-07-07  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: Guile User

Amazing! Congrats!

@ 2022-07-07  4:28   ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2022-07-07  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: Christine Lemmer-Webber, Guile User

Thank you very much!
I'll recommend it to more people!

Best regarts.

@ 2022-07-07  6:04 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2022-07-07  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: guile-user

Christine Lemmer-Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:

> Hello all!
>
> I'm thrilled to announce that The Spritely Institute has published A
> Scheme Primer:
>
>   https://spritely.institute/news/the-spritely-institute-publishes-a-scheme-primer.html
>   https://spritely.institute/static/papers/scheme-primer.html
>
> Source:
>   https://gitlab.com/spritely/scheme-primer

Very cool!

> and yes since the source is a .org file, there's a .info export:
>   https://spritely.institute/static/papers/scheme-primer.info

> I've considered making a Guix package of the .info version.  What do
> people think?  Would that be useful?

I think that would be useful, yes.

A also think, since this is an org-file, it would be a natural fit to
turn this into a printed tutorial. Just make it a PDF, add a title page,
and you can get it printed as POD (i.e. https://www.epubli.de/ ) —
including access via the usual webshops for books.

If you don’t want to do that, I can do it for you (I’ve been doing that
for roleplaying books for some years now; also exported from org mode).

The only thing I can’t do is a nice logo for the cover, but I have the
feeling that that isn’t the biggest of hurdles for you?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: The Spritely Institute publishes A Scheme Primer (the long-requested "Guile tutorial"?)
@ 2022-07-07 13:20 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-07-07 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: Guile User

On Wednesday, July 6th, 2022 at 18:55, Christine Lemmer-Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> Hello all!
>

> I'm thrilled to announce that The Spritely Institute has published A
> Scheme Primer:
>

> https://spritely.institute/news/the-spritely-institute-publishes-a-scheme-primer.html
> https://spritely.institute/static/papers/scheme-primer.html
>

> Source:
> https://gitlab.com/spritely/scheme-primer
>

> and yes since the source is a .org file, there's a .info export:
> https://spritely.institute/static/papers/scheme-primer.info

It would be great to have this listed in https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/learn/. The first one on its level :)

And I hope Jeko's and Blake's higher level materials arrive soon too :)

> I've considered making a Guix package of the .info version. What do
> people think? Would that be useful?

Yes.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: The Spritely Institute publishes A Scheme Primer (the long-requested "Guile tutorial"?)
@ 2022-07-07 13:21   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-07-07 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: Christine Lemmer-Webber, guile-user

On Thursday, July 7th, 2022 at 06:04, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:

> A also think, since this is an org-file, it would be a natural fit to
> turn this into a printed tutorial. Just make it a PDF, add a title page,
> and you can get it printed as POD (i.e. https://www.epubli.de/ ) —
> including access via the usual webshops for books.

+1

@ 2022-07-07 15:28     ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2022-07-07 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: Christine Lemmer-Webber, guile-user

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:No public key for 39E0C7637A39C6A9 created at 2022-07-07T15:21:16+0200 using RSA]]
> On Thursday, July 7th, 2022 at 06:04, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:
>
>> A also think, since this is an org-file, it would be a natural fit to
>> turn this into a printed tutorial. Just make it a PDF, add a title page,
>> and you can get it printed as POD (i.e. https://www.epubli.de/ ) —
>> including access via the usual webshops for books.
>
> +1

I tried that now and hit the roadblock of codeblocks in footnotes.

I’m not yet sure how to proceed with those huge footnotes :-)

But I’m sure we’ll find a way.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: The Spritely Institute publishes A Scheme Primer (the long-requested "Guile tutorial"?)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-07-08 12:56 ` Max Brieiev
From: Max Brieiev @ 2022-07-08 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: Guile User

Hi,

Christine Lemmer-Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:

> I've considered making a Guix package of the .info version.  What do
> people think?  Would that be useful?

Yes, please.

Possibly, this tutorial could also be referenced in
(info "(guix-cookbook) Scheme tutorials")

Or even included in guix cookbook?

* Re: The Spritely Institute publishes A Scheme Primer (the long-requested "Guile tutorial"?)
@ 2022-07-08 22:07   ` Blake Shaw
From: Blake Shaw @ 2022-07-08 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Brieiev; +Cc: Christine Lemmer-Webber, Guile User

Wow I'm just now looking through this and it looks amazing.

It's great that there is finally something that shows idiomatic
extra-scheme practices from the outset (things not in the core spec but
widely implemented like pattern matching) and gets straight into the goods
by concluding with a simple interepreter. Have already sent to some friends
who have been wanting to learn. Hope this becomes hit, can't wait to read
it myself!

@ 2022-07-09 11:45     ` Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2022-07-09 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blake Shaw; +Cc: Max Brieiev, Guile User

Thank you everyone for the nice feedback.  There's been so much of it
here and elsewhere!

I'm also glad people would like the .info version packaged in Guix.
I'll get on that shortly.  Actually yewscion / Christopher Rodriguez has
already put a version of it up on their Guix channel:

  https://git.sr.ht/~yewscion/yewscion-guix-channel/tree/trunk/item/cdr255/info.scm#L17

I'll try to update it and push up to Guix proper soon.

Thank you again everyone.  There's more exciting Scheme / Guile-oriented
things coming from the Spritely Institute too... stay tuned!

 - Christine (CTO of the Spritely Institute, in case ya didn't know)