Christopher M. Hobbs writes: > In today's development ecosystem, I fear a language won't gain any > popular traction (and thereby cause profit to be gained) until you can > build a blog or some other inane web application in it... preferably in > under 5 minutes. It doesn't matter how well the language does anything > else. > > At the risk of derailing the thread, I think a better approach would be > to show things that guile can do. This seems to help the popularity of > languages. I agree that that is important. This thread is, however, to address a specific aspect which I also think important and which I did not see here at all till now: Before investing effort into anything, most people first check whether others have successfully done so, especially when they think about marketable skills. That’s a very useful strategy most of the time (see xkcd bridge¹ ☺), and I did not see any answer for that From Guile yet. With this thread, we can now answer that question: Do people earn money with Guile? Yes, they do. Here are some examples: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2016-06/msg00007.html ¹: https://xkcd.com/1170/ > And to contribute: I wrote a couple of bits of guile at work for > monitoring some system processes, which I was paid for. Nice! Did you use a specific library or module for that? (that could be useful for my current work, too — for keeping tabs on a Solaris cluster) > I've also used it in a side project related to mail processing that > may someday generate income but that's still a long way off. Good luck! I hope it works out. Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein ohne es zu merken