unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* problem becouse scm_tc7_contin is not defined
@ 2002-09-09  9:18 P Pareit
From: P Pareit @ 2002-09-09  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey,
I have downloaded and installed guile-1.6.0. I try to compile scwm using the
new guile and I'm stuck with the following error:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/scwm/src'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include -I../include  -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/usr/include    -g -O2 -c guile-compat.c
cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
guile-compat.c: In function `scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind':
guile-compat.c:92: `scm_tc7_contin' undeclared (first use in this function)
guile-compat.c:92: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
guile-compat.c:92: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [guile-compat.o] Error 1

By doing a grep on scm_tc7_contin in the source tree of guile I found out that
scm_tc7_contin is no longer supported and I have to use SMOB continuation for
rootcont instead. Is there a place I can find more information on SMOB
continuations in guile (I checked the info files for guile already, but I
could have misted).
Or is there a simple way to replace scm_tc7_contin with some other function?
I also paste the function in which I have this problems:

SCM
scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind (scm_catch_body_t body, void *body_data,
                             scm_catch_handler_t handler, void *handler_data,
                             SCM_STACKITEM *stack_start)
{
#ifdef USE_STACKJMPBUF
  scm_contregs static_jmpbuf;
#endif
  int old_ints_disabled = scm_ints_disabled;
  SCM old_rootcont;
  struct cwdr_no_unwind_handler_data my_handler_data;
  SCM answer;
  void *pRootContinuation = NULL;

  /* Create a fresh root continuation.  */
  { /* scope */
    SCM new_rootcont;
    SCM_NEWCELL (new_rootcont);
    scwm_defer_ints();
#ifdef USE_STACKJMPBUF
    SCM_SETJMPBUF (new_rootcont, &static_jmpbuf);
#else
    /* GJB:FIXME:MS:: this was leaking, but now I explicitly
       deallocate it, below.  Not sure what fix you were looking
       for so it should probably still be revisited. */
    pRootContinuation =
      scm_must_malloc ((long) sizeof (scm_contregs),
                       "inferior root continuation");
#ifdef SCWM_DEBUG_SCM_INTERNAL_CWDR_NO_UNWIND
    scwm_msg(DBG,"scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind","+");
#endif
    SCM_SETJMPBUF (new_rootcont,pRootContinuation);
#endif
    SCM_SETCAR (new_rootcont, scm_tc7_contin);
**************************************^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ problem here
    SCM_DYNENV (new_rootcont) = SCM_EOL;
    SCM_BASE (new_rootcont) = stack_start;
    SCM_SEQ (new_rootcont) = -1;
#ifdef DEBUG_EXTENSIONS
    SCM_DFRAME (new_rootcont) = 0;
#endif
    old_rootcont = scm_rootcont;
    scm_rootcont = new_rootcont;
    scwm_allow_ints();
  }

#ifdef DEBUG_EXTENSIONS
  SCM_DFRAME (old_rootcont) = scm_last_debug_frame;
  scm_last_debug_frame = 0;
#endif

  /* now invoke the function */
  my_handler_data.run_handler = 0;
  answer = scm_internal_catch (SCM_BOOL_T,
                               body, body_data,
                               cwdr_no_unwind_handler, &my_handler_data);

  scwm_defer_ints();
#ifdef SCWM_DEBUG_SCM_INTERNAL_CWDR_NO_UNWIND
  scwm_msg(DBG,"scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind","-");
#endif
  scm_must_free(pRootContinuation);
  SCM_SETJMPBUF (scm_rootcont, NULL);
#ifdef DEBUG_EXTENSIONS
  scm_last_debug_frame = SCM_DFRAME (old_rootcont);
#endif
  scm_rootcont = old_rootcont;
  scwm_allow_ints();
  scm_ints_disabled = old_ints_disabled;

  /* Now run the real handler iff the body did a throw. */
  if (my_handler_data.run_handler)
    return handler (handler_data, my_handler_data.tag, my_handler_data.args);
  else
    return answer;
}

Any comments or help?
pieter;

* Re: problem becouse scm_tc7_contin is not defined
@ 2002-09-09 18:08 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-09-09 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

@ 2002-09-09 18:10   ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-09-09 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes: nothing at all.

Sorry about that.  My brain was still wired for LaTeX mode and I hit
C-c C-c out of reflex...  A real answer is coming up.

* Re: problem becouse scm_tc7_contin is not defined
@ 2002-09-09 18:43 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-09-09 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

P Pareit <pieter.pareit@planetinternet.be> writes:

> By doing a grep on scm_tc7_contin in the source tree of guile I
> found out that scm_tc7_contin is no longer supported and I have to
> use SMOB continuation for rootcont instead.

Scwm is digging into the innards of Guile, and we don't really support
code like scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind.  Scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind is
essentially a copy of Guile's scm_internal_cwdr with some bits
removed.  There is a reason why it is called scm_*internal*_cwdr. ;-)

However, scwm has probably a real need for
scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind, and we do want to support something like
it officially in the future so that scwm does not need to provide its
own hack.

You might consider fixing scwm's hack like this

  SCM
  scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind (scm_catch_body_t body, void *body_data,
                               scm_catch_handler_t handler, void *handler_data,
                               SCM_STACKITEM *stack_start)
  {
    SCM answer, old_winds;
    old_winds = scm_dynwinds;
    scm_dynwinds = SCM_EOL;

    answer = scm_internal_cwdr (body, body_data, handler, handler_data,
                                stack_stack);

    scm_dynwinds = old_winds;
    return answer;
  }

This will _only_ work when HANDLER does not do a non-local exit (via
longjmp, or similar).  If you want to support that (which I
recommend), you need to defer running HANDLER (with the same trick
that scm_internal_cwdr uses) until scm_dynwinds has been restored.

The above code should be more resilient against changes to the
internals of Guile, but it is still a hack.  We have a proposal to fix
this for real.  See workbook/extension/dynamic-roots.text in CVS.

You might also try to just scm_internal_cwdr instead of
scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind.  That should work as well, but at a
slight performance loss.

Could you bring this up with the scwm developers so that we might find
a solution that makes everyone happy?

* Re: problem becouse scm_tc7_contin is not defined
       [not found] <20020910103210.30704.32477.Mailman@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-10 11:57 ` P Pareit
From: P Pareit @ 2002-09-10 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 12:32 pm, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> P Pareit <pieter.pareit@planetinternet.be> writes:
> > By doing a grep on scm_tc7_contin in the source tree of guile I
> > found out that scm_tc7_contin is no longer supported and I have to
> > use SMOB continuation for rootcont instead.
>
> Scwm is digging into the innards of Guile, and we don't really support
> code like scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind.  Scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind is
> essentially a copy of Guile's scm_internal_cwdr with some bits
> removed.  There is a reason why it is called scm_*internal*_cwdr. ;-)
>
> However, scwm has probably a real need for
> scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind, and we do want to support something like
> it officially in the future so that scwm does not need to provide its
> own hack.
>
> You might consider fixing scwm's hack like this
>
>   SCM
>   scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind (scm_catch_body_t body, void *body_data,
>                                scm_catch_handler_t handler, void
> *handler_data, SCM_STACKITEM *stack_start)
>   {
>     SCM answer, old_winds;
>     old_winds = scm_dynwinds;
>     scm_dynwinds = SCM_EOL;
>
>     answer = scm_internal_cwdr (body, body_data, handler, handler_data,
>                                 stack_start); /* changed to stack_start */
>
>     scm_dynwinds = old_winds;
>     return answer;
>   }

Tried and failed, it does compile but I get a segment fault at startup and
scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind shows up in the backtrace. So I think this is the
problem.

> This will _only_ work when HANDLER does not do a non-local exit (via
> longjmp, or similar).  If you want to support that (which I
> recommend), you need to defer running HANDLER (with the same trick
> that scm_internal_cwdr uses) until scm_dynwinds has been restored.
>
> The above code should be more resilient against changes to the
> internals of Guile, but it is still a hack.  We have a proposal to fix
> this for real.  See workbook/extension/dynamic-roots.text in CVS.
>
> You might also try to just scm_internal_cwdr instead of
> scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind.  That should work as well, but at a
> slight performance loss.
>
> Could you bring this up with the scwm developers so that we might find
> a solution that makes everyone happy?

Yes, will do. I'm afraid that for the moment guile-1.4.* will still be used
and development is not very active for the moment. I hope that with the way
guile is going at the moment, scwm will soon follow.

@ 2002-09-10 19:04   ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-09-10 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

P Pareit <pieter.pareit@planetinternet.be> writes:

> Tried and failed, it does compile but I get a segment fault at
> startup and scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind shows up in the
> backtrace. So I think this is the problem.

Hmm.  I tried my version of scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind with guile-gtk
and it did work without problems.  Are you sure that you don't run
into this:

> > This will _only_ work when HANDLER does not do a non-local exit (via
> > longjmp, or similar).  If you want to support that (which I
> > recommend), you need to defer running HANDLER (with the same trick
> > that scm_internal_cwdr uses) until scm_dynwinds has been restored.

Could you try this version: (yeah, I could download Scwm and do this
myself, but... ;)

SCM
scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind (scm_catch_body_t body, void *body_data,
			     scm_catch_handler_t handler, void *handler_data,
			     SCM_STACKITEM *stack_start)
{
  return scm_internal_cwdr (body, body_data, handler, handler_data,
	                    stack_start);
}

That version is not very interesting but it will ket us see whether
the bug is with scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind or with some other part of
Scwm or Guile.

> > Could you bring this up with the scwm developers so that we might find
> > a solution that makes everyone happy?
>
> Yes, will do. I'm afraid that for the moment guile-1.4.* will still be used
> and development is not very active for the moment. I hope that with the way
> guile is going at the moment, scwm will soon follow.

I've contacted the Scwm developers as well, but I would be happy if
you could continue to handle this.

* Re: problem becouse scm_tc7_contin is not defined
@ 2002-09-11 10:01     ` P Pareit
From: P Pareit @ 2002-09-11 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 09:04 pm, you wrote:
> P Pareit <pieter.pareit@planetinternet.be> writes:
> > Tried and failed, it does compile but I get a segment fault at
> > startup and scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind shows up in the
> > backtrace. So I think this is the problem.
>
> Hmm.  I tried my version of scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind with guile-gtk
> and it did work without problems.  Are you sure that you don't run
>
> into this:
> > > This will _only_ work when HANDLER does not do a non-local exit (via
> > > longjmp, or similar).  If you want to support that (which I
> > > recommend), you need to defer running HANDLER (with the same trick
> > > that scm_internal_cwdr uses) until scm_dynwinds has been restored.
>
> Could you try this version: (yeah, I could download Scwm and do this
> myself, but... ;)
>
> SCM
> scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind (scm_catch_body_t body, void *body_data,
> 			     scm_catch_handler_t handler, void *handler_data,
> 			     SCM_STACKITEM *stack_start)
> {
>   return scm_internal_cwdr (body, body_data, handler, handler_data,
> 	                    stack_start);
> }
>
> That version is not very interesting but it will ket us see whether
> the bug is with scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind or with some other part of
> Scwm or Guile.

Well, it gave me absolutly the same bactrace as before:

(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x4007bd5c in scm_hook_empty_p (hook=0x0) at hooks.c:227
#1  0x0806069e in scwm_handle_error (data=0x809023a, tag=0x80a8f50,
    throw_args=0x404825a8) at callbacks.c:501
#2  0x400a0811 in scm_internal_catch (tag=0x2374, body=0x400a0a30 <cwss_body>,
    body_data=0xbffff240, handler=0x8060650 <scwm_handle_error>,
    handler_data=0x809023a) at throw.c:200
#3  0x400a0aae in scm_internal_stack_catch (tag=0x40497c38, body=0,
    body_data=0x0, handler=0x8060650 <scwm_handle_error>,
    handler_data=0x809023a) at throw.c:330
#4  0x08060550 in scwm_body_eval_str (body_data=0x8092120) at callbacks.c:451
#5  0x400a0839 in scm_internal_catch (tag=0x2374,
    body=0x80604e0 <scwm_body_eval_str>, body_data=0x8092120,
    handler=0x40094160 <cwdr_handler>, handler_data=0xbffff3e0) at throw.c:205
#6  0x400942a4 in scm_internal_cwdr (body=0x80604e0 <scwm_body_eval_str>,
    body_data=0x8092120, handler=0x805686c <scm_handle_by_message_noexit>,
    handler_data=0x809023a, stack_start=0x0) at root.c:283
#7  0x0806ef4f in scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind (
    stack_start=0xbffff464) at guile-compat.c:64
#8  0x08060782 in scwm_safe_eval_str (
    string=0x8092120 "\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n(use-modules (app scwm
optargs))\n\n(define-public guile-version (+ (string->number (major-version))
\n\t\t\t\t(/ (string->number (minor-version)) 10)))\n\n\n\n(if (>
guile-version 1.3)\n    (setvbuf (cur"...) at callbacks.c:532
#9  0x0807f55d in scwm_main (argc=134932312, argv=0x5b) at scwm.c:1220
#10 0x40072ebe in gh_launch_pad (closure=0x807ed20, argc=1, argv=0xbffff944)
    at gh_init.c:60
#11 0x4007c987 in invoke_main_func (body_data=0x0) at init.c:636
#12 0x4007c942 in scm_boot_guile_1 (base=0xbffff88c, closure=0xbffff890)
    at init.c:616
#13 0x4007c63b in scm_boot_guile (argc=0, argv=0x0, main_func=0, closure=0x0)
    at init.c:440
#14 0x40072ef9 in gh_enter (argc=1, argv=0xbffff944,
    c_main_prog=0x807ed20 <scwm_main>) at gh_init.c:70
#15 0x0807ed0b in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff944) at scwm.c:607
#16 0x4030c082 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
(gdb)

The problem seems to start at #8, I wonder what happens if something goes
wrong in the evaluation of "(use-modules (...))".

> I've contacted the Scwm developers as well, but I would be happy if
> you could continue to handle this.

Yes, I will. One of the things that I might best do, is to write an a small as
possible program that uses guile in the same way as scwm now.

@ 2002-09-11 18:16       ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-09-11 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

P Pareit <pieter.pareit@planetinternet.be> writes:

> > SCM
> > scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind (scm_catch_body_t body, void *body_data,
> > 			     scm_catch_handler_t handler, void *handler_data,
> > 			     SCM_STACKITEM *stack_start)
> > {
> >   return scm_internal_cwdr (body, body_data, handler, handler_data,
> > 	                    stack_start);
> > }
> >
> > That version is not very interesting but it will ket us see whether
> > the bug is with scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind or with some other part of
> > Scwm or Guile.
> >

> Well, it gave me absolutly the same bactrace as before:

Aha!  So it is not the fault of scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind.  Since
you already have the bug in the debugger, please try to figure out
what is happenening exactly.

> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  0x4007bd5c in scm_hook_empty_p (hook=0x0) at hooks.c:227

This looks wrong.  scm_hook_empty_p should probably not be called with
a NULL argument.

> #6  0x400942a4 in scm_internal_cwdr (body=0x80604e0 <scwm_body_eval_str>,
>     body_data=0x8092120, handler=0x805686c <scm_handle_by_message_noexit>,
>     handler_data=0x809023a, stack_start=0x0) at root.c:283

Note that stack_start is NULL...

> #7  0x0806ef4f in scm_internal_cwdr_no_unwind (
>     body=0x80604e0 <scwm_body_eval_str>, body_data=0x8092120,
>     handler=0x805686c <scm_handle_by_message_noexit>, handler_data=0x809023a,
>     stack_start=0xbffff464) at guile-compat.c:64

while it isn't here.  Maybe GDB doesn't see the whole truth.  Try
compiling without "-O2".

* Re: problem becouse scm_tc7_contin is not defined
@ 2002-09-16  0:04     ` Steve Tell
From: Steve Tell @ 2002-09-16  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Sep 2002, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> I've contacted the Scwm developers as well, but I would be happy if
> you could continue to handle this.

_Are_ there any scwm developers any more?

I thought the original authors had gone on to other things.  The latest
"news" on scwm.sourceforge.net is from March 2000 about version 0.99.6
which requires guile 1.3.4.

Or am I looking in the wrong place?  I was thinking of abandoning scwm
myself, perhaps I don't have to if work is continuing and there is a
new version that at least works with guile-1.4?

I originaly borrowed a lot of code from scwm for use in gwave and
guilfred, (including doc/init snarfing and code using scm_internal_cwdr)
which needed minor revision for 1.4 and substantial overhaul for 1.5.x
(1.6).

On foo.doc/foo.x snarfing, I concluded that it was hard to support both
guile-1.4 and guile-1.6 while using guile's provided guile-snarf and
supplied macros, so I seperated the application from that, borrowing from
both versions and providing renamed macros and snarfing script along with
the applications.  Perhaps this was overkill.

Steve

--
Steve Tell  tell@telltronics.org

* Re: problem becouse scm_tc7_contin is not defined
@ 2002-09-16  5:00       ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-16  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Tell <tell@telltronics.org> writes:

> _Are_ there any scwm developers any more?

I believe Pieter is working on working on the update scwm to 1.6.0.

> Or am I looking in the wrong place?  I was thinking of abandoning scwm
> myself, perhaps I don't have to if work is continuing and there is a
> new version that at least works with guile-1.4?

If he keeps up, sounds like 1.6.0 will be the next supported version.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: problem becouse scm_tc7_contin is not defined
@ 2002-09-16 19:57       ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-09-16 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Tell <tell@telltronics.org> writes:

> On foo.doc/foo.x snarfing, I concluded that it was hard to support both
> guile-1.4 and guile-1.6 while using guile's provided guile-snarf and
> supplied macros,

Hmm, is that still the case with the guile-snarf that is in Guile
1.6.0?  Some of the pretests had versions of guile-snarf that were
significantly incompatible with that from 1.4.

* 1.4 vs. 1.5.x vs 1.6 snarfingdefined
@ 2002-09-20  1:55         ` Steve Tell
From: Steve Tell @ 2002-09-20  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Sep 2002, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Steve Tell <tell@telltronics.org> writes:
>
> > On foo.doc/foo.x snarfing, I concluded that it was hard to support both
> > guile-1.4 and guile-1.6 while using guile's provided guile-snarf and
> > supplied macros,
>
> Hmm, is that still the case with the guile-snarf that is in Guile
> 1.6.0?  Some of the pretests had versions of guile-snarf that were
> significantly incompatible with that from 1.4.

Guilty as charged - I ran into this problem with 1.5.4-1.5.6, and
(mistakenly) assumed that anything that had changed from 1.4 in those
would stay changed in 1.6.  I've not actually tried 1.6 yet, but the
snarfing does look much closer to 1.4.

Steve

--
Steve Tell  tell@telltronics.org