unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* gnome-clutter + repl?
@ 2011-09-24 14:57 joakim
From: joakim @ 2011-09-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

hello,

I'm interested in prototyping an application with gnome-clutter and
Guile.

This application will probably be a C application that embedds
Guile. (I've tried many other approaches* but they fail so lets discuss
this particular scenario)

Anyway, the problem is that clutter needs its own event loop,
clutter-main, so then I can't simply use the Guile REPL as I'd like.

So these appear to be my choices and I'd appreciate help selecting a
good approach:

- Don't use the REPL as is, instead make the C application call the
  Guile evaluation routines. Then I must decide things in advance and
  can't use explorative programming

- Make separate threads for the REPL and Clutter. Then I get boring thread
  synchronisation issues.

It seems guile-gnome-platform take the first approach.

*) Ideally I'd like no C and only Guile.
I've mostly tried different ways to interface to Clutter from Guile. I
hacked guile-clutter until it compiled but then it didn't want to
runtime link. I tried Sbank, but it didn't work with guile. I also tried
guile-gir, but it didn't work too well either. So until any of these
other approaches pan out I can embedd guile.

--
Joakim Verona