unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* R7RS
@ 2014-09-09 17:55 Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2014-09-09 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Guile User

Hi all,

there was a thread a couple of years ago in this list about TODOs for
reaching R7RS (small) compliance. Just out of curiosity, what is the
current (or planned) level of conformance? I've read some recent
announcements about changes in the reader that further align it with
R7RS but I'm not sure what to expect in other areas:

* libraries
* records
* exceptions

As guile is mostly R6RS conformant, and the above R7RS features could be
more or less subsets of the corresponding ones in R6RS, maybe the
distance to R7RS compliance is small. But I'm no expert and thus I may
be missing a lot of details.

Best regards
--
Carlos

* Re: R7RS
@ 2014-09-09 19:02 ` Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer @ 2014-09-09 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Carlos Pita; +Cc: Guile User

Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> there was a thread a couple of years ago in this list about TODOs for
> reaching R7RS (small) compliance. Just out of curiosity, what is the
> current (or planned) level of conformance? I've read some recent
> announcements about changes in the reader that further align it with
> R7RS but I'm not sure what to expect in other areas:

Hi Carlos,

There's a branch called 'r7rs' in Guile's git repository which aims for
full (or almost-full) compliance as far as I know.  I think Mark Weaver
was working on it so he might be able to give clearer information on
what will be intentionally left out.  That being said:

> * libraries

This is certainly being implemented on that branch.

> * records

R7RS-small records are equivalent to SRFI-9, so this is merely a matter
of making it a part of the "(scheme base)" library which is the standard
base library of R7RS-small.

> * exceptions

Given R6RS exceptions, R7RS-small exceptions are very trivial.  The
`with-exception-handler', `raise', and `raise-continuable' procedures,
and the `guard' syntax, are all the same as in R6RS.  The `error'
procedure is basically the same as we have in Guile's core, and
`error-object?', `error-object-message', and `error-object-irritants'
all look pretty trivial so you can bet on the r7rs branch implementing
them.

Taylan