Alejandro Sanchez writes: > If I may add my two cents as a Scheme layman: the question is not so much about making Guile more popular, but about making Scheme itself more popular. > > One big reason for Python’s popularity is something I haven’t seen > mentioned in this thread so far: if you know pseudocode you basically > know Python already. Of course this is hyperbolic, there are a lot of > finer details to Python, but the superficial simplicity of Python > makes you think you already know the language and that you can get > started right away. By the time you encounter the more arcane aspects > of Python you have already invested enough time into it that you will > put up with learning something new. This is basically what wisp¹ is intended to address: define : hello who format #t "Hello ~a!\n" who hello "World" And it’s still full scheme. Just looking like pseudocode. I documented that in py2guile: http://draketo.de/py2guile ¹: http://draketo.de/english/wisp > I think someone here mentioned the lack of a proper Scheme IDE, other > than Dr. Racket for Racket. I don’t use IDEs anymore, but I can see > how that can be a problem for other people who only want to do > intermediate scripting rather than write entire applications. I also see lots of people at work using Python IDEs, which all bring their own problems but provide the kind of information I get from the commandline. Just having a geiser setup for Emacs properly documented — or maybe an Emacs customized for Scheme development — would help a lot, I think. "This is our canonical interface for writing Scheme" ← That is what people need to be able to find. Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein ohne es zu merken