unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile studio - question
@ 2021-06-17  6:56 Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-06-17  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

I press c-x c-e because I know this is just a distribution of Emacs and
that works

In DrRacket there's the "run" button

In Guile Studio I can't find it

Is the intended user of guile studio supposed to know about c-x c-e ?

* Re: guile studio - question
@ 2021-06-17 10:21 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-06-17 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: randomlooser; +Cc: guile-user

Adriano Peluso <randomlooser@riseup.net> writes:

> I press c-x c-e because I know this is just a distribution of
> Emacs and
> that works
>
> In DrRacket there's the "run" button
>
> In Guile Studio I can't find it
>
> Is the intended user of guile studio supposed to know about c-x
> c-e ?

No.

There is a context menu.  The splash screen on the right mentions
it.

--
Ricardo

* Re: guile studio - question
@ 2021-06-18  8:16   ` Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-06-18  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guile-user

Il giorno gio, 17/06/2021 alle 12.21 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus ha scritto:

> Adriano Peluso <randomlooser@riseup.net> writes:
>
> > I press c-x c-e because I know this is just a distribution of
> > Emacs and
> > that works
> >
> > In DrRacket there's the "run" button
> >
> > In Guile Studio I can't find it
> >
> > Is the intended user of guile studio supposed to know about c-x
> > c-e ?
>
> No.
>
> There is a context menu.  The splash screen on the right mentions
> it.

Ok

Thanks for clarifying

* Re: guile studio - question
@ 2021-06-18  9:25     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-06-18  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: randomlooser; +Cc: guile-user

Adriano Peluso <randomlooser@riseup.net> writes:

> Il giorno gio, 17/06/2021 alle 12.21 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus ha
> scritto:
>>
>> Adriano Peluso <randomlooser@riseup.net> writes:
>>
>> > I press c-x c-e because I know this is just a distribution of
>> > Emacs and
>> > that works
>> >
>> > In DrRacket there's the "run" button
>> >
>> > In Guile Studio I can't find it
>> >
>> > Is the intended user of guile studio supposed to know about
>> > c-x
>> > c-e ?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> There is a context menu.  The splash screen on the right
>> mentions
>> it.
>>

> Ok
>
> Thanks for clarifying

Gladly.

There used to be a button in the toolbar, but I removed it for two
reasons:

+ it isn’t always applicable; I had it hooked to the Geiser mode,
so it would jarringly disappear when a different buffer was
selected.

+ the toolbar is really quite big and we already have a tab bar
and a menu bar

I found the context menu to be a good compromise, but you are the
second person to report confusion about it, so I’m willing to
reconsider this.

Would you prefer a button in the toolbar that will always send the
code from the main buffer to the REPL?

--
Ricardo

* Re: guile studio - question
@ 2021-06-19  6:17       ` Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-06-19  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guile-user

Il giorno ven, 18/06/2021 alle 11.25 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus ha scritto:

> Would you prefer a button in the toolbar that will always send the
> code from the main buffer to the REPL?

Personally, I would prefer a toolbar with a button in it, yes

The simple reason is that this solution would be similar to what
DrRacket has and has had for a long time

So guile studio could play the simililarity card

What would be really required, here, is a consideration of which
population guile studio is meant for and then an investigation with
such population

But I understand that that's not within reach

Some years ago I was enabled to work on a little project in Clojure
thanks to a thing called "Emacs Live"

It's here
http://overtone.github.io/emacs-live/

it's a .emacs.d folder that you replace your one with

and it gives you a complete environement, based on Emacs, to work with
Clojure

With REPL, autocompletion and all the features of a modern IDE (we
should discuss what "modern" mean because the Smalltalk IDE was way
more modern than many IDEs for java these days)

So this idea of a distribution of Emacs taylored to introduce people to
Guile is a good idea

Kudos