unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* scheme in sandbox?
@ 2002-10-06 19:24 Major A
From: Major A @ 2002-10-06 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm new to this list, so please forgive me if this has been discussed
before. I would like to incorporate a scheme interpreter into a
project with guile. Since the scheme code is going to be supplied by
the user or an unknown third party, I would like to restrict the
capabilities of the interpreter to the basic scheme language, without
any input/output or network capabilities, so that the scheme code can
only ever use external functions that I explicitly declare via the C
interface to guile.

Is this kind of sandbox setup possible with guile?

Thanks a lot,

  Andras

* Re: scheme in sandbox?
@ 2002-10-06 22:56 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-10-06 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Major A <andras@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Since the scheme code is going to be supplied by the user or an
> unknown third party, I would like to restrict the capabilities of
> the interpreter to the basic scheme language, without any
> input/output or network capabilities, so that the scheme code can
> only ever use external functions that I explicitly declare via the C
> interface to guile.
>
> Is this kind of sandbox setup possible with guile?

The short answer is yes probably, starting with 1.6.0.

See my latest message (just yesterday) in the thread "Re: loading a
module via an absolute path" for a good start, though we definitely
need more thorough documentation of this in the long run.

Hope this helps.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: scheme in sandbox?
@ 2002-10-06 23:38   ` Major A
From: Major A @ 2002-10-06 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

> > Is this kind of sandbox setup possible with guile?
>
> The short answer is yes probably, starting with 1.6.0.
>
> See my latest message (just yesterday) in the thread "Re: loading a
> module via an absolute path" for a good start, though we definitely
> need more thorough documentation of this in the long run.

Thanks a lot, I'll have a look. Hope 1.6.0 gets packaged by Debian
soon, I'm still using 1.4.

  Andras

* Re: scheme in sandbox?
@ 2002-10-07  0:42     ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-10-07  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Major A <andras@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Thanks a lot, I'll have a look. Hope 1.6.0 gets packaged by Debian
> soon, I'm still using 1.4.

I'm workin on it :>

--
Rob Browning