unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* functional datastractures
@ 2007-03-08  8:41 Klaus Schilling
From: Klaus Schilling @ 2007-03-08  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Are there already attempts to provide truly functional data structures
a la Okasaki for guile? I guess srfi-40 will be necessary to achieve
most of them efficiently.

Klaus Schilling

* Re: functional datastractures
@ 2007-03-08 10:41 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-03-08 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Schilling; +Cc: guile-user

Hi,

Klaus Schilling <schilling.klaus@web.de> writes:

> Are there already attempts to provide truly functional data structures
> a la Okasaki for guile? I guess srfi-40 will be necessary to achieve
> most of them efficiently.

I guess you're referring to lazy data structures [0]?  I haven't looked
into it but perhaps `(ice-9 streams)' could suffice?

On a similar note, I recently contemplated the idea of implementing
Vlists [1] but haven't got any further than pure contemplation.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.eecs.usma.edu/webs/people/okasaki/pubs.html#lazy
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VList

* Re: functional datastractures
@ 2007-03-08 13:04   ` Klaus Schilling
From: Klaus Schilling @ 2007-03-08 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludovic.courtes; +Cc: guile-user

From: ludovic.courtes@laas.fr (Ludovic Courtès)
Subject: Re: functional datastractures
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:41:51 +0100

> Hi,
>
> Klaus Schilling <schilling.klaus@web.de> writes:
>
> > Are there already attempts to provide truly functional data structures
> > a la Okasaki for guile? I guess srfi-40 will be necessary to achieve
> > most of them efficiently.
>
> I guess you're referring to lazy data structures [0]?  I haven't looked
> into it but perhaps `(ice-9 streams)' could suffice?

Yes, they are also called lazy data structures, as the control over
the evaluation moment is crucial for tweaking the complexity
of the operations on such a structure.

Once again we see the miracles of undocumented modules :)

@ 2007-03-12  9:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-03-12  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Schilling; +Cc: guile-user

Hi,

Klaus Schilling <schilling.klaus@web.de> writes:

> Once again we see the miracles of undocumented modules :)

`(ice-9 streams)' _is_ documented, at least in 1.8:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Streams.html#Streams

Thanks,
Ludovic.