unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* bug in read?
@ 2007-09-17 21:49 Luigi Semenzato
From: Luigi Semenzato @ 2007-09-17 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Is this a reader bug?  Hash marks following
an integer are interpreted as zeros, and the
number is converted to real.

guile> (read)
44###
44000.0
guile>

If this is expected, section 5.5.2.6 (Read Syntax for Numerical Data)
should mention it.

Should I report this problem to bug-guile@gnu.org?
Or is there an online bug database?  I couldn't find one.

Thanks!
Luigi

* Re: bug in read?
@ 2007-09-23 15:54 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2007-09-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luigi Semenzato; +Cc: bug-guile, guile-user

Hi,

Since it's a week later now and no one's answered:

On Mon 17 Sep 2007 23:49, "Luigi Semenzato" <luigi@semenzato.com> writes:

> Is this a reader bug?  Hash marks following
> an integer are interpreted as zeros, and the
> number is converted to real.
>
> guile> (read)
> 44###
> 44000.0
> guile>
>
> If this is expected, section 5.5.2.6 (Read Syntax for Numerical Data)
> should mention it.
>
> Should I report this problem to bug-guile@gnu.org?

Yes, copying. There is no online database. (But perhaps this isn't
actually a bug, and someone else knows why.)

Cheers,

Andy.
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: bug in read?
@ 2007-09-23 17:29 dsmich
From: dsmich @ 2007-09-23 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: bug-guile, guile-user, Luigi Semenzato

---- Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since it's a week later now and no one's answered:
>
> On Mon 17 Sep 2007 23:49, "Luigi Semenzato" <luigi@semenzato.com> writes:
>
> > Is this a reader bug?  Hash marks following
> > an integer are interpreted as zeros, and the
> > number is converted to real.
> >
> > guile> (read)
> > 44###
> > 44000.0
> > guile>
> >
> > If this is expected, section 5.5.2.6 (Read Syntax for Numerical Data)
> > should mention it.

This is the syntax for inexact numbers.  See r5rs sections 6.2.4 and 7.1.1

-Dale

* Re: bug in read?
@ 2007-09-25 16:22 ` Luigi Semenzato
From: Luigi Semenzato @ 2007-09-25 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsmich@adelphia.net; +Cc: Andy Wingo, bug-guile, guile-user

Thank you for the explanation.

Does anybody know then why the Guile manual replicates
sections of r5rs instead of just pointing to them?
It's redundant and it leads to this kind of problems.

If Guile is Scheme version blah with some additions and
some omissions, shouldn't the manual just document
the additions and the omissions?

I don't mean to whine or lecture.  I am just wondering.

Thanks!
Luigi

On 9/23/07, dsmich@adelphia.net <dsmich@adelphia.net> wrote:

> ---- Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since it's a week later now and no one's answered:
> >
> > On Mon 17 Sep 2007 23:49, "Luigi Semenzato" <luigi@semenzato.com> writes:
> >
> > > Is this a reader bug?  Hash marks following
> > > an integer are interpreted as zeros, and the
> > > number is converted to real.
> > >
> > > guile> (read)
> > > 44###
> > > 44000.0
> > > guile>
> > >
> > > If this is expected, section 5.5.2.6 (Read Syntax for Numerical Data)
> > > should mention it.
>
> This is the syntax for inexact numbers.  See r5rs sections 6.2.4 and 7.1.1
>
> -Dale

* Re: bug in read?
@ 2007-10-30 23:52   ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2007-10-30 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luigi Semenzato; +Cc: Andy Wingo, guile-user

"Luigi Semenzato" <luigi@semenzato.com> writes:

> Thank you for the explanation.
>
> Does anybody know then why the Guile manual replicates
> sections of r5rs instead of just pointing to them?
> It's redundant and it leads to this kind of problems.
>
> If Guile is Scheme version blah with some additions and
> some omissions, shouldn't the manual just document
> the additions and the omissions?

Perhaps, yes.  But there is also the view that it is helpful for the
manual to try to be a complete guide for "how to use Guile", without
relying on indirection to other material.  I don't think the argument
is as one-sided as you suggest.

Regards,
        Neil