unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* packaging a guile module, call/cc tutorial
@ 2008-05-30 19:28 John Trammell
From: John Trammell @ 2008-05-30 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Hi Guile users:

I have a guile issue and a scheme issue I'm hoping you can help me
with.  My guile issue is that I've built a rudimentary module
(following the code in
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Creating-Guile-Modules.html)
that I'd like to tar up and make available as a GPL'ed installable
package.  Can any of you point me to documentation or an example of
how to do that?  I have something cobbled together with a Makefile but
I'd like to think there's a more sophisticated solution out there.

My scheme problem is this: I've been beating my head against the
call/cc examples I've been able to dredge up, but not feeling like
I've fully mastered the concept.  Can anyone interested please chime
in on either their favorite resource on call/cc, or an example they
found useful when learning the concept?

Thanks,
JT

* Re: packaging a guile module, call/cc tutorial
@ 2008-05-31  7:14 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-05-31  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: John Trammell; +Cc: guile-user

⎛⎞ "John Trammell" <johntrammell@gmail.com>
⎝⎠ Fri, 30 May 2008 14:28:45 -0500

   I'd like to tar up and make available as a GPL'ed installable
   package.  Can any of you point me to documentation or an
   example of how to do that?  I have something cobbled together
   with a Makefile but I'd like to think there's a more
   sophisticated solution out there.

Not terribly sophisticated, but i can recommend Guile-WWW[0].

Pros:
- includes documentation (=> doc extraction/munging)
- includes testing (=> "make check" => pre-install usage)
- uses "standard" autotools methodology
- supports Guile 1.4.x and later

Cons:
- no C bits

For C bits, i don't know of any definitive cross-version methodology
yet.  The one i use, which requires 1.4.x support, is boiled down
into the cmod-play package[1].  All the other gnuvola.org/software
that have C bits (e.g., Guile-PG) are based on it.  On my todo
list is to find a path towards such a unified methodology; if/when
that happens, cmod-play will be updated to reflect my findings.

thi

[0] http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile-www/
[1] http://www.gnuvola.org/software/cmod-play/

* Re: packaging a guile module, call/cc tutorial
@ 2008-05-31 15:16 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2008-05-31 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: John Trammell; +Cc: guile-user

2008/5/30 John Trammell <johntrammell@gmail.com>:
> Hi Guile users:
>
> I have a guile issue and a scheme issue I'm hoping you can help me
> with.  My guile issue is that I've built a rudimentary module
> (following the code in
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Creating-Guile-Modules.html)
> that I'd like to tar up and make available as a GPL'ed installable
> package.  Can any of you point me to documentation or an example of
> how to do that?  I have something cobbled together with a Makefile but
> I'd like to think there's a more sophisticated solution out there.

This is something I'm conscious of, but currently we have no nice
solution AFAIK.

My idea of what would be a nice solution is that

- it would be trivial for the package author to produce a tarball (or
whatever) for others to download

- when a user downloaded and installed that package, the installation
would automatically take place according to the user's distribution's
packaging system.

> My scheme problem is this: I've been beating my head against the
> call/cc examples I've been able to dredge up, but not feeling like
> I've fully mastered the concept.  Can anyone interested please chime
> in on either their favorite resource on call/cc, or an example they
> found useful when learning the concept?

Perhaps you're overestimating the concept, and have in fact understood
it?  What do you think you don't understand?

Regards,
         Neil

* Re: packaging a guile module, call/cc tutorial
@ 2008-06-03 15:18 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-06-03 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Hi,

"John Trammell" <johntrammell@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a guile issue and a scheme issue I'm hoping you can help me
> with.  My guile issue is that I've built a rudimentary module
> (following the code in
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Creating-Guile-Modules.html)
> that I'd like to tar up and make available as a GPL'ed installable
> package.  Can any of you point me to documentation or an example of
> how to do that?  I have something cobbled together with a Makefile but
> I'd like to think there's a more sophisticated solution out there.

Dale Smith on IRC noted that Martin Grabmüller once wrote a skeleton for
Guile extensions written in C:

  http://uebb.cs.tu-berlin.de/~magr/guile/guile-extension-0.0.1.tar.gz

It has a `convert.sh' script that automatically sets up the basic
package environment for you.  For instance, running "./convert.sh foo"
creates a `guile-foo' package, with C stubs in `foo.c' and `foo.h'.

There are also Guile bindings for many libraries that you could use as a
starting point, although it won't be as straightforward as running a
script.

Thanks,
Ludovic.