unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile spb-linux Newbie
@ 2009-06-14 15:11 tbrooke
From: tbrooke @ 2009-06-14 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile-user

I want to use guile with ncurses to create a project using spb-linux. I am
new to this.

spb is a modular linux that has addons that are libraries.

http://spblinux.sourceforge.net/

I am not sure how compile this I have fedora on my main system but I want
guile on my spb system. It seems I should be able to copy generic guile libs
as addons or else I need to compile the guile  libs with spb configuration

Where do I start

Tom

* Re: Guile spb-linux Newbie
@ 2009-06-14 20:46 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-06-14 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tbrooke; +Cc: Guile-user

tbrooke <tom.brooke@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to use guile with ncurses to create a project using spb-linux. I am
> new to this.

Welcome!

> spb is a modular linux that has addons that are libraries.
>
> http://spblinux.sourceforge.net/
>
> I am not sure how compile this I have fedora on my main system but I want
> guile on my spb system. It seems I should be able to copy generic guile libs
> as addons

Is spb binary-compatible with Fedora?  If it is, I agree that you
should be able to copy over the Fedora guile libs.

> or else I need to compile the guile  libs with spb configuration
>
> Where do I start

Well, basically, grab a tarball, ./configure && make.

But there are some dependencies: GMP, readline and libltdl, if you're
happy to use our latest stable release (1.8.6).  A few more than this
if you want to use our snapshots or forthcoming pre-release of the new
2.0 series.  So you would need to install or build these dependencies
first, before trying to build Guile.

Is that the kind of information you wanted?  Please don't hesitate to
ask anything further.

    Neil

* Re: Guile spb-linux Newbie
@ 2009-06-18 19:22   ` tbrooke
From: tbrooke @ 2009-06-18 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile-user

Just Curious I have 1.86, I saw 1.90 and I located the GIT but I haven't seen
anything about prerelease 2.0. Is there a git depository somewhere?

Neil Jerram wrote:

> tbrooke <tom.brooke@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I want to use guile with ncurses to create a project using spb-linux. I
>> am
>> new to this.
>
> Welcome!
>
>> spb is a modular linux that has addons that are libraries.
>>
>> http://spblinux.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> I am not sure how compile this I have fedora on my main system but I want
>> guile on my spb system. It seems I should be able to copy generic guile
>> libs
>> as addons
>
> Is spb binary-compatible with Fedora?  If it is, I agree that you
> should be able to copy over the Fedora guile libs.
>
>> or else I need to compile the guile  libs with spb configuration
>>
>> Where do I start
>
> Well, basically, grab a tarball, ./configure && make.
>
> But there are some dependencies: GMP, readline and libltdl, if you're
> happy to use our latest stable release (1.8.6).  A few more than this
> if you want to use our snapshots or forthcoming pre-release of the new
> 2.0 series.  So you would need to install or build these dependencies
> first, before trying to build Guile.
>
> Is that the kind of information you wanted?  Please don't hesitate to
> ask anything further.
>
>     Neil

* Re: Guile spb-linux Newbie
@ 2009-06-19  7:49     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-06-19  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

tbrooke <tom.brooke@gmail.com> writes:

> Just Curious I have 1.86, I saw 1.90 and I located the GIT but I haven't seen
> anything about prerelease 2.0. Is there a git depository somewhere?

The first alpha release (called 1.9.1) of the eventual 2.0 series is to
be published sometime today.  Others will follow in the coming months.

Thanks,
Ludo'.