unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Cryptic error messages: Bug in guile?
@ 2018-11-13  1:35 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-11-13  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi

I try to package for guix.
Sometimes I forget a parens somewhere.

When I invoke make in the guix source tree the parens error will be
reported as any other kind of error. (unbound variable, package not
found, etc)

I would like to know if there is a way to avoid/improve this.

E.g. make guile count parens before evaluation or whatever so that I get
a clear error, fast.

Alternatively maybe somebody else has a parens counter script I could
use? E.g. I could tell make to first traverse all files looking for
unmatching parens.
--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Cryptic error messages: Bug in guile?
@ 2018-11-13  1:44 ` brettg
From: brettg @ 2018-11-13  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guile-user, guile-user

On 13.11.2018 02:35, swedebugia wrote:
> Hi
>
> I try to package for guix.
> Sometimes I forget a parens somewhere.
>
> When I invoke make in the guix source tree the parens error will be
> reported as any other kind of error. (unbound variable, package not
> found, etc)
>
> I would like to know if there is a way to avoid/improve this.
>
> E.g. make guile count parens before evaluation or whatever so that I
> get a clear error, fast.
>
> Alternatively maybe somebody else has a parens counter script I could
> use? E.g. I could tell make to first traverse all files looking for
> unmatching parens.

Generally you can backtrace these kinds of errors and see what the
unbound variable is tied to some Guile module that you can declare. IIRC
this is also available in `guix lint`.

Did that help any?

Brett Gilio

* Re: Cryptic error messages: Bug in guile?
@ 2018-11-13  1:48 ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2018-11-13  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guile-user