unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
From: Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at>
Subject: Re: New g-wrap supported in guile-gtk--rotty-0.1!
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:18:27 +0100	[thread overview]

Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at> writes:

> Unfortunatly, I guess this will not help much. First, most generics in
> the binding have only one method. Second, I'm not exactly sure how to
> get complexity down: compute-new-methods currently checks each of
> current methods against a duplicate specialization. However, it may be
> save to assume that all methods passed to internal-add-methods! have
> different specializers, so I could at least add them if there are not
> any methods yet.
>
>> An improvement on the implementation level would be to do part (or
>> all) of the work in C.  This, however, should be done with preserved
>> respect for the MOP.  Anyone who wants to do this should talk to me
>> first.
>>
> Hmm, this would probably mean pulling internal-add-methods! and (part
> of) the functions it calls down to the C level. What exactly do I
> have to consider wrt MOP here?

I now have a (seemingly) working version of internal-add-methods! in
C. Strange enough, it does not yield in a performance increase over
the scheme code. Maybe someone want's to review my code and point me
at bottlenecks or other glitches?

I got a significant speedup with a unrelated measure, however: I
blocked GC during the registering of a wrapset (where all the method
and GF creation takes place). This bought me a 20% increase of loading
speed...

Cheers, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc

This reality is really just a fucked-up dream -- Papa Roach