unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* JIT compiler
@ 2005-12-30  0:37 Leonardo Lopes Pereira
From: Leonardo Lopes Pereira @ 2005-12-30  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to know if there is any Just-in-time compiler related resourse on Guile.

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2005-12-30 13:14 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2005-12-30 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Leonardo Lopes Pereira <leonardolopespereira@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to know if there is any Just-in-time compiler related
> resourse on Guile.

There is guile-hobbit, which is a normal compiler, but I'm not sure if
it is working with all features of current Guile.  I'm not aware of
any JIT compiler work, or if guile-hobbit can be used in a JIT way.

There have also been a few attempts at a Guile VM, and compiling for
the VM, in case that is of interest to you.

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-03 10:30   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2006-01-03 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, Leonardo Lopes Pereira

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> There have also been a few attempts at a Guile VM, and compiling for
> the VM, in case that is of interest to you.

Indeed, I'm still slooooowly trying to revive Guile-VM, written by
Keishude Nishida 5 years ago, and I'm making some progress.  You can
look at it in my GNU Arch archive if that is of interest to you:

  $ tla register-archive http://www.laas.fr/~lcourtes/software/arch-2004/

It's not ready for production use but it's ready for hacking and I'd
welcome contributions!

Thanks,
Ludovic.

* Re: JIT compiler
       [not found] <E1EsL1F-0006hc-Lg@pat.uio.no>
@ 2006-01-04 21:14 ` Kjetil S. Matheussen
From: Kjetil S. Matheussen @ 2006-01-04 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neil Jerram:

> Leonardo Lopes Pereira <leonardolopespereira@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I would like to know if there is any Just-in-time compiler related
>> resourse on Guile.
>
> There is guile-hobbit, which is a normal compiler, but I'm not sure if
> it is working with all features of current Guile.  I'm not aware of
> any JIT compiler work, or if guile-hobbit can be used in a JIT way.

Hobbit works fine with guile 1.6. However, it has some bugs which
needs workarounds. Look at the file hobbit.scm in the SND distribution to
get a convenient interface for it and to automatically workaround the
bugs.

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-07 22:31     ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2006-01-07 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

ludovic.courtes@laas.fr (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
>> There have also been a few attempts at a Guile VM, and compiling for
>> the VM, in case that is of interest to you.
>
> Indeed, I'm still slooooowly trying to revive Guile-VM, written by
> Keishude Nishida 5 years ago, and I'm making some progress.

That's good to know; it looked very promising before.

>  You can
> look at it in my GNU Arch archive if that is of interest to you:
>
>   $ tla register-archive http://www.laas.fr/~lcourtes/software/arch-2004/

Hmm.  I'll have to make another attempt to understand Arch, then; I'm
afraid it completely defeated me last time.  (If you happen to know of
any fantastic new instructions, please point me at them!)

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-08 15:43       ` Han-Wen Nienhuys
From: Han-Wen Nienhuys @ 2006-01-08 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87fynzoek1.fsf@ossau.uklinux.net>,
Neil Jerram  <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> wrote:
>> Indeed, I'm still slooooowly trying to revive Guile-VM, written by
>> Keishude Nishida 5 years ago, and I'm making some progress.
>
>That's good to know; it looked very promising before.
>
>>  You can
>> look at it in my GNU Arch archive if that is of interest to you:
>>
>>   $ tla register-archive http://www.laas.fr/~lcourtes/software/arch-2004/
>
>Hmm.  I'll have to make another attempt to understand Arch, then; I'm
>afraid it completely defeated me last time.  (If you happen to know of
>any fantastic new instructions, please point me at them!)

I can wholehartedly recommend darcs (www.darcs.net) for version
management. In concept it resembles  Arch, but it's much more usable.

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-09  9:13       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2006-01-09  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Hi Neil,

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

>>  You can
>> look at it in my GNU Arch archive if that is of interest to you:
>>
>>   $ tla register-archive http://www.laas.fr/~lcourtes/software/arch-2004/
>
> Hmm.  I'll have to make another attempt to understand Arch, then; I'm
> afraid it completely defeated me last time.  (If you happen to know of
> any fantastic new instructions, please point me at them!)

`get' is quite interesting too, once you're done with
`register-archive'.  ;-)

  $ tla get lcourtes@laas.fr--2004-libre/guile-vm--revival--0.6  guile-vm

                      ^                            ^                ^
                      |                            |                |
             name of the archive           name of the branch    directory
             you just registered             you wanna get

Thanks,
Ludovic.

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-09 10:54         ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2006-01-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

ludovic.courtes@laas.fr (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> `get' is quite interesting too, once you're done with
> `register-archive'.  ;-)
>
>   $ tla get lcourtes@laas.fr--2004-libre/guile-vm--revival--0.6  guile-vm
>
>                       ^                            ^                ^
>                       |                            |                |
>              name of the archive           name of the branch    directory
>              you just registered             you wanna get

Thanks, I'll give it another go.

Regards,
    Neil

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-09 11:25         ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2006-01-09 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, Neil Jerram

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:13:40 +0100
ludovic.courtes@laas.fr (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
> >>  You can
> >> look at it in my GNU Arch archive if that is of interest to you:
> >>
> >>   $ tla register-archive http://www.laas.fr/~lcourtes/software/arch-2004/
> >
> > Hmm.  I'll have to make another attempt to understand Arch, then; I'm
> > afraid it completely defeated me last time.  (If you happen to know of
> > any fantastic new instructions, please point me at them!)
>
> `get' is quite interesting too, once you're done with
> `register-archive'.  ;-)
>
>   $ tla get lcourtes@laas.fr--2004-libre/guile-vm--revival--0.6  guile-vm
>
>                       ^                            ^                ^
>                       |                            |                |
>              name of the archive           name of the branch    directory
>              you just registered             you wanna get

is there a similar command to (once you registered) get the latest...:

	cd <cvs checkout location>
	cvs update -d

that I could understand and use :-) [and remember :-)]
david

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-09 12:47           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2006-01-09 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, Neil Jerram

David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> writes:

>>   $ tla get lcourtes@laas.fr--2004-libre/guile-vm--revival--0.6  guile-vm
>>
>>                       ^                            ^                ^
>>                       |                            |                |
>>              name of the archive           name of the branch    directory
>>              you just registered             you wanna get
>
> is there a similar command to (once you registered) get the latest...:
>
> 	cd <cvs checkout location>
> 	cvs update -d
>
> that I could understand and use :-) [and remember :-)]

Sure, and it's called `update'.  :-)  To summarize:

  # Teach tla that some archive (or ``repository'') is available at URI.
  $ tla register-archive URI

  # At this point, it knows that an archive named
  # `blah@blah.org--SOME-ARCHIVE' is available at URI.
  # From now on, you will always use this name and not the URI.

  # You can now get files from that archive.

  $ tla get blah@blah.org--SOME-ARCHIVE/C--B--V  DIR
  # This retrieves the latest version of the branch C--B--V into
  # directory DIR.

  $ cd DIR

  # Updating the local copy, as with `cvs update':
  $ tla update

It's not all that complicated.  All you need is to be aware of certain
conventions, some of which are, well, quite unusual (some might say
``weird'').  ;-) Most importantly, you need to know that
``repositories'' are usually called ``archives'', and that a particular
naming scheme is enforced for branch names, namely
CATEGORY--BRANCH--VERSION.  And yes, conventions in GNU Arch are a
controversial topic.

More information is available in the (slightly outdated) tutorial:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/tutorial/arch.html .

Thanks,
Ludovic.

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-09 22:52             ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2006-01-09 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

ludovic.courtes@laas.fr (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Sure, and it's called `update'.  :-)  To summarize:
>
>   # Teach tla that some archive (or ``repository'') is available at URI.
>   $ tla register-archive URI
>
>   # At this point, it knows that an archive named
>   # `blah@blah.org--SOME-ARCHIVE' is available at URI.
>   # From now on, you will always use this name and not the URI.
>
>   # You can now get files from that archive.
>
>   $ tla get blah@blah.org--SOME-ARCHIVE/C--B--V  DIR
>   # This retrieves the latest version of the branch C--B--V into
>   # directory DIR.
>
>   $ cd DIR
>
>   # Updating the local copy, as with `cvs update':
>   $ tla update

Very useful, thanks.  That all works for me, but I get the following
error running make (after an apparently successful ./autogen.sh and
./configure):

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/neil/arch/guile-vm/src'
if /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/local/include -pthread   -Wall -g -pg -g -O2 -MT envs.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/envs.Tpo" \
  -c -o envs.lo `test -f 'envs.c' || echo './'`envs.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/envs.Tpo" ".deps/envs.Plo"; \
else rm -f ".deps/envs.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
../libtool: ../libtool: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [envs.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/neil/arch/guile-vm/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/neil/arch/guile-vm/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
neil@laruns:~/arch/guile-vm$

Probably just means you have something in your tree which hasn't been
committed to the archive ...

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-10  8:38               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2006-01-10  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, David Pirotte

Hi Neil,

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/neil/arch/guile-vm/src'
> if /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/local/include -pthread   -Wall -g -pg -g -O2 -MT envs.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/envs.Tpo" \
>   -c -o envs.lo `test -f 'envs.c' || echo './'`envs.c; \
> then mv -f ".deps/envs.Tpo" ".deps/envs.Plo"; \
> else rm -f ".deps/envs.Tpo"; exit 1; \
> fi
> ../libtool: ../libtool: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [envs.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/neil/arch/guile-vm/src'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/neil/arch/guile-vm/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> neil@laruns:~/arch/guile-vm$
>
> Probably just means you have something in your tree which hasn't been
> committed to the archive ...

`autogen.sh' was broken.  You can run `tla update' and give it another
try if you want.

Thanks,
Ludovic.

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-10  9:20                 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2006-01-10  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

ludovic.courtes@laas.fr (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> `autogen.sh' was broken.  You can run `tla update' and give it another
> try if you want.

Thanks, builds fine now.  FWIW I get a couple of warnings from
libtoolize, which may imply that you should add --force:

libtoolize: `config.guess' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `config.sub' exists: use `--force' to overwrite

Regards,
    Neil

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-10 17:35   ` Aaron VanDevender
From: Aaron VanDevender @ 2006-01-10 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about the gnu-lightning stuff in the guile cvs tree? Isn't that
supposed to be a JIT/VM for guile?

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 13:14 +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Leonardo Lopes Pereira <leonardolopespereira@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to know if there is any Just-in-time compiler related
> > resourse on Guile.
>
> There is guile-hobbit, which is a normal compiler, but I'm not sure if
> it is working with all features of current Guile.  I'm not aware of
> any JIT compiler work, or if guile-hobbit can be used in a JIT way.
>
> There have also been a few attempts at a Guile VM, and compiling for
> the VM, in case that is of interest to you.
>
> Regards,
>         Neil

sig@netdot.net
Plead the First.

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-10 21:47     ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2006-01-10 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Aaron VanDevender <sig@netdot.net> writes:

> What about the gnu-lightning stuff in the guile cvs tree? Isn't that
> supposed to be a JIT/VM for guile?

No, that was just an experiment.

* Re: JIT compiler
@ 2006-01-11  8:32       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2006-01-11  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Hi,

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.de> writes:

> Aaron VanDevender <sig@netdot.net> writes:
>
>> What about the gnu-lightning stuff in the guile cvs tree? Isn't that
>> supposed to be a JIT/VM for guile?
>
> No, that was just an experiment.

These are Guile bindings for GNU Lightning, i.e., it allows Lightning
"assembly" to be written from Scheme code, plus it contains an
experimental compiler that would compile a simplified variant of Scheme
directly into Lightning assembly.

The binding part itself is quite comparable to Sassy, except that Sassy
is limited to x86 assembly:
http://home.earthlink.net/~krautj/sassy/sassy.html .

Thanks,
Ludovic.