unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Compilation failure.
@ 2008-05-28 12:53 Frank J. R. Hanstick
From: Frank J. R. Hanstick @ 2008-05-28 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Hello,
	I am trying to build guile for MacOS 10.4.11 and run into the
following error:

/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -
I. -I.. -I./..    -g -O2 -MT readline.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/
readline.Tpo -c -o readline.lo readline.c
mkdir .libs
  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./.. -g -O2 -MT readline.lo -MD -
MP -MF .deps/readline.Tpo -c readline.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/
readline.o
readline.c: In function 'rl_cleanup_after_signal':
readline.c:109: error: 'rl_pending_input' undeclared (first use in
this function)
readline.c:109: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
readline.c:109: error: for each function it appears in.)
readline.c: In function 'scm_init_readline':
readline.c:564: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
make[4]: *** [readline.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/Users/frank/guile-1.8.5/guile-readline'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/Users/frank/guile-1.8.5/guile-readline'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/Users/frank/guile-1.8.5/guile-readline'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/frank/guile-1.8.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

* Re: Compilation failure.
@ 2008-05-28 13:59 ` Neil Jerram
       [not found]   ` <92338D2C-2E45-43A4-B4A7-AF5CAD54BF38@comcast.net>
From: Neil Jerram @ 2008-05-28 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Frank J. R. Hanstick; +Cc: guile-user

2008/5/28 Frank J. R. Hanstick <trog24@comcast.net>:
> Hello,
>        I am trying to build guile for MacOS 10.4.11 and run into the
> following error:
>
> readline.c:109: error: 'rl_pending_input' undeclared (first use in this
> function)

Please see the "FAQ" file, which reads as appended below.  In case
that doesn't help, please let us know.

Regards,
         Neil

** readline.c: error: `rl_pending_input' undeclared

This occurs if the Readline library detected by Guile's configure
script is actually the BSD Editline project's supposedly
Readline-compatible library.  The immediate fix is to uninstall
Editline and install the real GNU Readline instead.  When you do this,
please note that it probably won't work to keep Editline in /usr and
install GNU Readline in /usr/local (or some similar arrangement),
because the Editline library will then still be picked up at link and
run time; it's best (subject to other constraints) to remove Editline
completely.

For the longer term, please also report this problem to the Editline
project, to encourage them to fix it in the next release of their
Readline compatibility library.

* Re: Compilation failure.
@ 2008-05-28 14:02 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-05-28 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Hi,

"Frank J. R. Hanstick" <trog24@comcast.net> writes:

> 	I am trying to build guile for MacOS 10.4.11 and run into the
> following error:
>
> /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -
> I. -I.. -I./..    -g -O2 -MT readline.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/
> readline.Tpo -c -o readline.lo readline.c
> mkdir .libs
>  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./.. -g -O2 -MT readline.lo -MD -
> MP -MF .deps/readline.Tpo -c readline.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/
> readline.o
> readline.c: In function 'rl_cleanup_after_signal':
> readline.c:109: error: 'rl_pending_input' undeclared (first use in
> this function)

Please consult the `FAQ' file.

Thanks,
Ludovic.

* Re: Compilation failure.
       [not found]   ` <92338D2C-2E45-43A4-B4A7-AF5CAD54BF38@comcast.net>
@ 2009-06-29 20:55     ` Neil Jerram
       [not found]       ` <87prcmpwtt.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-06-29 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Frank J.R.Hanstick; +Cc: Guile User List

Frank J. R. Hanstick <trog24@comcast.net> writes:

> Hello,
> 	Thank you for responding.

Hi Frank,

Here's another response, but I'm afraid a very late one...  I've added
CC to the list, for the record and for other MacOS users.

> 	I went to
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/faq/guile-faq.html  (the FAQ
> pointed to from http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/ guile.html) and
> searched for the error and it was no where to be  found.  I then went
> to http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/faq/OLD-
> guile-faq.html and came up with the same result.  I had done this
> before emailing; but, did it again just to be sure I had not missed
> anything.  Is there another FAQ page?

Yes, there was, in the Guile distribution itself.  But I see now that
this was confusing, so I've removed it that file and merged the
information that was in it (about Readline/Editline) into
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/faq/guile-faq.html.

> 	libedit was installed.  The source of the installation is most
> likely Darwin since I had not installed anything BSD related since
> installing the MacOS.  There was no readline installed; therefore, I
> installed readline-5.2.  That corrected the rl_pending_input" error;
> but, now get the following:
>
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _rl_free_line_state
> .libs/readline.o definition of _rl_free_line_state in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.dylib(signals.so) definition of
> _rl_free_line_state
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _rl_cleanup_after_signal
> .libs/readline.o definition of _rl_cleanup_after_signal in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.dylib(signals.so) definition of
> _rl_cleanup_after_signal

Those multiple definitions would occur if libreadline was being picked
up during the build but not when configure was run.

Could you consider

- looking at the part of guile-readline/config.log that covers looking
  for rl_cleanup_after_signal, to see if there are any clues there

- running configure again with CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS set like this:

CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure [your usual options]

> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _PC
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.dylib(terminal.so) definition of _PC
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libncurses.dylib
> (lib_tputs.o) definition of _PC
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _UP
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.dylib(terminal.so) definition of _UP
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libncurses.dylib
> (lib_termcap.o) definition of _UP
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _BC
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.dylib(terminal.so) definition of _BC
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libncurses.dylib
> (lib_termcap.o) definition of _BC

I don't know about these, but it looks as though libreadline.dylib
already includes those curses symbols.  Maybe the -lncurses isn't
needed on MacOS?

Based on Guile's guile-readline/configure.in and Gnulib's readline.m4,
it looks like that might be the case.  guile-readline/configure.in
tries pretty hard to find and use a curses library:

  for termlib in ncurses curses termcap terminfo termlib ; do
     AC_CHECK_LIB(${termlib}, tgoto,
                  [LIBS="-l${termlib} $LIBS"; break])
  done

but Gnulib is more careful:

    dnl On some systems, -lreadline doesn't link without an additional
    dnl -lncurses or -ltermcap.
    dnl Try -lncurses before -ltermcap, because libtermcap is unsecure
    dnl by design and obsolete since 1994. Try -lcurses last, because
    dnl libcurses is unusable on some old Unices.
    for extra_lib in "" ncurses termcap curses; do
      LIBS="$am_save_LIBS $LIBREADLINE"
      if test -n "$extra_lib"; then
        LIBS="$LIBS -l$extra_lib"
      fi
      AC_TRY_LINK([#include <stdio.h>
#include <readline/readline.h>],
        [readline((char*)0);],
        [gl_cv_lib_readline=" -l$extra_lib"])
      if test "$gl_cv_lib_readline" != no; then
	break
      fi
    done

Probably Guile (1.8.x) should be do the same as Gnulib does.  If
you're still in a position to try that out, I'll work out a patch.

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: Compilation failure.
       [not found]         ` <87fxdivhki.fsf@arudy.ossau.uklinux.net>
@ 2009-06-30 22:17           ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-06-30 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guile User List

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>>
>>> Yes, there was, in the Guile distribution itself.  But I see now that
>>> this was confusing, so I've removed it that file and merged the
>>> information that was in it (about Readline/Editline) into
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/faq/guile-faq.html.
>>
>> This is a good idea!  However, the top of the document reads "Updated:
>> 2005/01/15 23:19:00", which is confusing.  Also, the document mentions
>> 1.4 and the transition to 1.5, which aren't brand new.  ;-)
>
> Thanks.  I'll look into fixing those.

Well I've made a start...  Unfortunately the page is still quite out
of date in many ways.

I'll aim to work through this in some spare moments.  Any
contributions to bring parts of this content up to date would be much
appreciated!

Regards,
        Neil