unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* emacs interaction
@ 2014-09-20  3:33 Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2014-09-20  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

I have searched the archives for information on using guile in emacs and not much besides the guile-emacs project.

Q1) I have used GDS to run guile in emacs.  Not perfect but usable.  Comments?  I'm using with the emacs "scheme" mode.

Q2) Emacs is not indenting define-module elements like I'd like.   Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

my emacs will indent as follows
(define-module (mymod)
  #:export (blablabla foo bar
                 a b c)
  #:export-syntax (blablablam foom barm
                                               am bm cm)
  )

Matt

P.S.  I'm getting back in because I just got 2.0.11 to build after so long trying (macos).

* Re: emacs interaction
@ 2014-09-20  6:58 ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2014-09-20  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Matt Wette; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

> I have searched the archives for information on using guile in emacs and
> not much besides the guile-emacs project.
>
> Q1) I have used GDS to run guile in emacs.  Not perfect but usable.
> Comments?  I'm using with the emacs "scheme" mode.

The best package for interacting guile (and racket) from emacs I know is
geiser:
http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/

It is also available in Debian/Ubuntu repository, so installation on those
distributions is particularly easy, and you only need to add
(require 'geiser-install) to your .emacs file.

Once you're done with that, you run guile using M-x run-guile, and racket
using M-x run-racket and you get various hints in your minibuffer and use
C-x C-e to evaluate "the last s-exp"

You may also wish to set
(setq geiser-repl-use-other-window nil)

and

(defadvice save-buffers-kill-emacs (around no-query-kill-emacs activate)
  "Prevent annoying \"Active processes exist\" query when you quit Emacs."
  (flet ((process-list ())) ad-do-it))

Regards

* Re: emacs interaction
@ 2014-09-20  7:30 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2014-09-20  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

() Matt Wette <mwette@alumni.caltech.edu>
() Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:33:20 -0700

   Q2) Emacs is not indenting define-module elements like I'd like.

   my emacs will indent as follows
   (define-module (mymod)
     #:export (blablabla foo bar
                    a b c)
     #:export-syntax (blablablam foom barm
                                                  am bm cm)
     )

That is really weird.  Maybe the mail system(s) mangled it?

   Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

It would help to post an example (w/ tabs converted to spaces)
showing what you desire.  That way we have a clear goal.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: emacs interaction
@ 2014-09-20 13:05   ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2014-09-20 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

On Sep 20, 2014, at 12:30 AM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> wrote:
> It would help to post an example (w/ tabs converted to spaces)
> showing what you desire.  That way we have a clear goal.

I get
(define-module (mymod)
  #:export (blablabla foo bar
                 a b c)
  #:export-syntax (blablablam foom barm
                                               am bm cm)
  )

I want

@ 2014-09-20 13:34 ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2014-09-20 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Matt Wette; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Matt,

I didn't know about GDS, but why don't you just try geiser? It interacts
very nicely with the repl, gives you a number of typical conveniences,
it's pretty well documented (and the docs are even funny :)) and it
integrates well with scheme-mode. Even the guile guide recommends it.

Cheers
--
Carlos

@ 2014-09-21  5:29     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2014-09-21  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Matt Wette; +Cc: guile-user

Matt Wette <mwette@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

> On Sep 20, 2014, at 12:30 AM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> wrote:
>> It would help to post an example (w/ tabs converted to spaces)
>> showing what you desire.  That way we have a clear goal.
>
> I get
> (define-module (mymod)
>   #:export (blablabla foo bar
>                  a b c)
>   #:export-syntax (blablablam foom barm
>                                                am bm cm)
>   )
>
> I want
> (define-module (mymod)
>   #:export (blablabla foo bar
>                  a b c)
>   #:export-syntax (blablablam foom barm
>                              am bm cm)
>   )

I'm fairly sure we're not seeing the same thing you're seeing in this
email.  It looks as though perhaps you've written the email with a
variable-width font, and used enough spaces on the continuation lines to
make things line up properly on your display, whereas many of us are
viewing this email with a fixed-width font, and nothing lines up at all.

The following web page might show you what your email looks like to us:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2014-09/msg00093.html

     Regards,
       Mark

* Re: emacs interaction
@ 2014-09-21 14:11       ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2014-09-21 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guile-user

Yes.  I am using the mac.  I tried to encode as "Plain Text" but that didn't seem to work.
I hope this is better.

On Sep 20, 2014, at 10:29 PM, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:

> Matt Wette <mwette@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
>
>> On Sep 20, 2014, at 12:30 AM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> It would help to post an example (w/ tabs converted to spaces)
>>> showing what you desire.  That way we have a clear goal.
>>
>> I get
>> (define-module (mymod)
>>  #:export (blablabla foo bar
>>                 a b c)
>>  #:export-syntax (blablablam foom barm
>>                                               am bm cm)
>>  )
>>
>> I want
>> (define-module (mymod)
>>  #:export (blablabla foo bar
>>                 a b c)
>>  #:export-syntax (blablablam foom barm
>>                             am bm cm)
>>  )
>
> I'm fairly sure we're not seeing the same thing you're seeing in this
> email.  It looks as though perhaps you've written the email with a
> variable-width font, and used enough spaces on the continuation lines to
> make things line up properly on your display, whereas many of us are
> viewing this email with a fixed-width font, and nothing lines up at all.
>
> The following web page might show you what your email looks like to us:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2014-09/msg00093.html
>
>     Regards,
>       Mark

* Re: emacs interaction
@ 2014-09-22  3:21   ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2014-09-22  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

On Sat, Sep 20 2014, Panicz Maciej Godek wrote:

>     I have searched the archives for information on using guile in
>     emacs and not much besides the guile-emacs project.
>
>     Q1) I have used GDS to run guile in emacs.  Not perfect but
>     usable.  Comments?  I'm using with the emacs "scheme" mode.
>
> The best package for interacting guile (and racket) from emacs I know
> is geiser: http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/
>
> It is also available in Debian/Ubuntu repository, so installation on
> those distributions is particularly easy, and you only need to add
> (require 'geiser-install) to your .emacs file.
>
> Once you're done with that, you run guile using M-x run-guile, and
> racket using M-x run-racket and you get various hints in your
> minibuffer and use C-x C-e to evaluate "the last s-exp"
>
> You may also wish to set
> (setq geiser-repl-use-other-window nil)
>
> and
>
> (defadvice save-buffers-kill-emacs (around no-query-kill-emacs activate)
>   "Prevent annoying \"Active processes exist\" query when you quit Emacs."
>   (flet ((process-list ())) ad-do-it))

or, in recent enough geiser versions, just:

   (setq geiser-repl-query-on-kill-p nil)

cheers,
jao
--
Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and
buildings and start wars etc., and all that dolphins do is swim in the

* Re: emacs interaction
@ 2014-10-04 10:58         ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2014-10-04 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Matt Wette; +Cc: guile-user

() Matt Wette <mwette@alumni.caltech.edu>
() Sun, 21 Sep 2014 07:11:33 -0700

   Yes.  I am using the mac.  I tried to encode as "Plain Text"
   but that didn't seem to work.  I hope this is better.

Unfortunately, it still looks weird to me.  Could you describe
(w/ words) the desired result?  BTW, how familiar are you w/
Emacs Lisp?  (Maybe help-gnu-emacs at the usual GNU domain
would net you a better response.)

--

@ 2014-10-04 13:53           ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2014-10-04 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw