Jean Abou Samra writes: >>> There is also a felicitous feedback effect in that because the >>> baseline compiler is much smaller than the CPS compiler, it takes less >>> time to macro-expand — https://wingolog.org/archives/2020/06/03/a-baseline-compiler-for-guile > > As far as I understand, this is about the speed of compilation. For > the reason explained above, it doesn't factor into the speed of > LilyPond. The speed of compilation is only part of it. The blog post also shows that the optimizations gain factor 4 in speed for the compiled code, but if there are lots of macros to expand in the *.ly files, unoptimized code (which is smaller, because it is higher-level) might actually be faster. This as all highly speculative on my side, though … > Thanks for responding! In my opinion Lilypond is one of the most important Guile-Programs. Since I started running Guix as Distro, Lilypond is no longer *the* most important Guile program for me (since without Guix my system would simply not run), but Lilypond is still the one tool I really need. All the other Guile-using utilities I have are nice to have conveniences (or code I wrote myself). Lilypond is the only mission-critical tool for which I would not be able to find a replacement, because I require it to improve my songbook. There’s just nothing like it. Thank you very much for working on Lilypond! Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein, ohne es zu merken. draketo.de