Hi Zelphir, Some notes inline: Zelphir Kaltstahl writes: > I am willing to test/try some more. Great, that's really good to hear! > When you say "since commit xyz", do you mean commit of guile-hall > itself, or a commit of Guix, where an updated version of guile-hall is > available? I mean in the guile-hall repository. But you should be able to do: guix install guile-hall --with-commit="guile-hall=HASH" to get the right version. I *think* it should just build and work. > How would I test the master branch version? I would guess install it in > a guix environment and then use that environment to try and convert a > project. Yeah, that would work too. You should even be able to combine the two and go with: guix environment --ad-hoc guile guile-hall --with-commit="guile-hall=HASH" > What would you suggest testing? I think it would be best if you tried using the convert command and see whether it gets you better results this time around. Outside of that, probably playing with the new --skip option and `scan' arguments might be useful and interesting for you. > It was quite OK to edit hall.scm in an editor. Perhaps, if a project is > significantly bigger than my project, it would become cumbersome, but > for me personally it is fine, now that I know what goes in there and how > it needs to look. Good to hear. The spec was always meant to be human readable. Still, the new scan options might make it easier to add additional files gradually. > I have not yet begun writing a guide for converting a project. Hopefully > I'll be able to do so soon. That would be very interesting to see! Best wishes, Alex > > Best regards, > Zelphir > > On 2/17/21 10:17 PM, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote: >> Hi Zelphir and Tim, >> >> I am the author of guile hall — apologies for only now getting into this >> thread. I'm afraid I have been somewhat distracted with other things. >> >> First of all I want to echo what others have said — thank you very much >> for your detailed descriptions of what exactly happened when you tried >> to migrate the project to guile hall. >> >> The aim of the project is to massively reduce the barrier of entry to >> creating new, portable, high quality guile projects — and to contribute >> them to Guix. Your descriptions suggest it's not there yet! >> >> In any case, some comments inline: >> >> Zelphir Kaltstahl writes: >> >>> Hello Tim! >>> >>> Thank you, it works now! >>> >>> Removing the duplicate entry of `fslib` in hall.scm fixed it. >> Fwiw, since commit ac76541a this issue can be automatically resolved by >> running scan once more: it should remove duplicate entries in hall.scm. >> >>> Regarding the license: OK, I have no problem moving my license to >>> `COPYING`. However, I still think, that it should not put GPL there, >>> when I specified AGPL in `hall.scm`. This looks like a hardcoded >>> fallback, which does not take the license specification into account. >>> Something like: "If there is no `COPYING` file just put GPL into a file >>> `COPYING`." instead of "If there is no `COPYING` file just put >>> into a file `COPYING`.". I could be >>> wrong though, as I do not know anything about guile-hall's internals. >> This is odd — Hall should respect your license choice. It should, for >> (A)GPL licenses automatically download those from the internet and >> install them in COPYING. There was an issue with those licenses hiding >> behind a 302 status code, which resulted in fallback text being loaded >> in COPYING. But even that fallback text should respect your license. >> >> I just tried changing my license to AGPLv3+ in one of my projects, >> running hall from Master (the most recent commit fixes the 302 license >> issue), and it's fetching the license correctly. >> >> I'd be interested in seeing what your experience is if you are willing >> to try? >> >> In any case, Hall is undergoing active development, and I'm hoping to >> have a fresh release end of this month, with a whole bunch of >> improvements and bug fixes. Definitely feel free to drop issues to me >> directly by email or on gitlab (though some of the ones you raised have >> been fixed, like the unknown filetype issue). >> >> Best wishes, >> >> Alex >> >>> Follow up question would be, how to bring the package into the guix >>> repository, but I am guessing, that it will be answered at >>> https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Direct-checkout-hacking.html, >>> which I have not read yet. >>> >>> Another question is, whether I should put you into the authors file and >>> write something like "help with packaging" there. What is the common >>> practice? >>> >>> Best regards, >>> Zelphir >>> >>> On 2/16/21 5:48 PM, Tim Van den Langenbergh wrote: >>>> Err, looking at your hall.scm file, you have the fslib file added to your >>>> libraries twice. >>>> >>>> Guix environment is not needed if you have all the requirements for building >>>> the package installed locally, but if you want to distribute your package it's >>>> good practise to ensure it builds in a clean environment (see also https:// >>>> guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-environment.html for more >>>> information about Guix environments). >>>> >>>> The "COPYING" file is hardcoded as license file in Hall, to ensure compatibility >>>> with GNU standards: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.en.html >>>> >>>> Hope this helps, >>>> >>>> Vale >>>> >>>> -Tim >>>> >>>>