unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [guile/scwm] Information about guile error message
@ 2002-09-19 16:36 P Pareit
From: P Pareit @ 2002-09-19 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey,

There are certain modules that I wish to load when scwm is running that give
me the following error message:

ERROR: missing or extra expression

I can track down which modules give me those error (by experimentation), but
I'm having problem tracking down where in the file this error is given.
Afcourse the file that gives me this error and most trouble is a file/module
that gets used by all the other files/modules and is a bit more that 900
line's of code, so it looks a bit big to add it in this mail.  What could I
do to track down from where in the file I get this error, are there things I
should know about this error?

pieter;

* Re: [guile/scwm] Information about guile error message
@ 2002-09-19 18:50 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-09-19 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

P Pareit <pieter.pareit@planetinternet.be> writes:

> There are certain modules that I wish to load when scwm is running that give
> me the following error message:
>
> ERROR: missing or extra expression

There's a fairly likely culprit I can't recall at the moment.  1.6.0
is stricter about various things (like not allowing () instead of
'()), and I think this may be a related "tightening" of the syntax
checker.

One thing that might help is to execute this before loading your other
files:

  (debug-enable 'backtrace)
  (debug-enable 'debug)
  (read-enable 'positions)

That may provide a lot more information about what happened where.
For some reason "let" is coming to mind here, but I can't recall what
might be stricter there.  Maybe I'm thinking of this:

  (let ((foo ())) ...)

which is now illegal, but I thought the error message was different
for that...

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: [guile/scwm] Information about guile error message
@ 2002-10-26  0:08 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-10-26  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: P Pareit <pieter.pareit@planetinternet.be>
   Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:36:15 +0200

   What could I do to track down from where in the file I get this
   error, are there things I should know about this error?

you can add before the `define-module' form:

  (debug-enable 'debug 'backtrace)

to get more info on error.

thi